Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In July I ordered Clutch kit 07-175 from Luk. Took forever to install the kit but yay finished it. In any case I am driving around the next day and found myself in a bind after 50 miles

* Car would not let me select a gear was extremely difficult
* When attempting to select gear with clutch pressed in car would move (reverse of forward depending on gear)

I then noticed fluid on the floor. Assumption being Brake fluid car was not moved for a few months (save for moving in around the yard)

Finally got around to doing the work on the car. Dropped the transmission and discovered following

* Slave Cylinder had allowed Gear Fluid to come into bell housing
* Slave Cylinder made of plastic not aluminum like OE part
* Slave Cylinder has no Oring, OE part does

My questions are as follows:

* Has anyone ordered LUK Clutch Kit 07-175 and received a Slave with no o ring and made of plastic?
* If you have how have you sealed the Slave cylinder
* Any other reasons for transmission engagmeent issues.

My research so far into this:

* Googled the poop out of it: some say aneirobic gasket maker, other have reused or bought a generic oring, others have installed as is no issues. Furthermore some people have received aluminum oring and some not though that part is fuzzier
* Called LUK representative. Was told that the plastic Slave is indeed correct. Was told to RTV the part where it mates to bellhousing, or to return to amazon get a new one and see if they give me a different Slave (by luk)
* Called CFM, confirmed plastic piece, confirmed no Oring, they have called Luk and have been told nothing is needed to seal this part
* Went to oreilleys, got a 65 slave cylinder, it is made of Aluminum and has a o ring. Also pulled a clutch kit and had all LUK parts but the slave was like the 65 dollar one.
* noticed that in addition to being plastic and having no oring the plastic slave is slightly shorter, i think it is because it lacks an oring

Attachments

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, DIY repair thread not related to SVT Performance (engine).

Story isn't totally clear, the difficult shifting is normally a brake fluid issue at the Master cyl. and I initially assumed the floor mentioned was the car's floor. Sounds like it was actually a garage floor, but still not sure on what fluid(s) were found.

The updated versions of the slave have been seen before, the LUK rep's RTV suggestion is the more common installation method to seal gear oil in the trans.. Std. O-ring does NOT fit well, some have tried that to end up breaking the slave cyl. when tightening down the mounting bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for replying.

The fluid that was leaking is in fact transmission/gear fluid. It was leaking onto the garage floor. When the bellhousing was removed it was quite clear that gear oil was leaking through the sides of the slave cylinder where the two faces meet.

Thanks for moving the thread I think I saw other clutch questions and assumed it was the proper place for post.

Are you then saying that aneroibic sealer I'd an acceptable solution for this?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
For sealing the slave cyl. to the gearbox, yes.

Why shifting difficulty was encountered is still a question unanswered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

So I put the transmission back on using the aneirobic sealer.

Bleed the slave and my brakes.

Drove around for 2 days (30 miles). Today in the morning I have again experienced the difficulty putting the car in gear.

* Car will change gears when off
* Car will not move into any gear when on and with clutch pedal pressed in
* Car will "start to move" as if it wants to go in gear, this happens with my clutch engaged and with the car not completely in gear.

Any advice on what this could? Perhaps air is finding its way into the clutch fluid line?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,

In July I ordered Clutch kit 07-175 from Luk. Took forever to install the kit but yay finished it. In any case I am driving around the next day and found myself in a bind after 50 miles

* Car would not let me select a gear was extremely difficult
* When attempting to select gear with clutch pressed in car would move (reverse of forward depending on gear)

I then noticed fluid on the floor. Assumption being Brake fluid car was not moved for a few months (save for moving in around the yard)

Finally got around to doing the work on the car. Dropped the transmission and discovered following

* Slave Cylinder had allowed Gear Fluid to come into bell housing
* Slave Cylinder made of plastic not aluminum like OE part
* Slave Cylinder has no Oring, OE part does

My questions are as follows:

* Has anyone ordered LUK Clutch Kit 07-175 and received a Slave with no o ring and made of plastic?
* If you have how have you sealed the Slave cylinder
* Any other reasons for transmission engagmeent issues.

My research so far into this:

* Googled the poop out of it: some say aneirobic gasket maker, other have reused or bought a generic oring, others have installed as is no issues. Furthermore some people have received aluminum oring and some not though that part is fuzzier
* Called LUK representative. Was told that the plastic Slave is indeed correct. Was told to RTV the part where it mates to bellhousing, or to return to amazon get a new one and see if they give me a different Slave (by luk)
* Called CFM, confirmed plastic piece, confirmed no Oring, they have called Luk and have been told nothing is needed to seal this part
* Went to oreilleys, got a 65 slave cylinder, it is made of Aluminum and has a o ring. Also pulled a clutch kit and had all LUK parts but the slave was like the 65 dollar one.
* noticed that in addition to being plastic and having no oring the plastic slave is slightly shorter, i think it is because it lacks an oring

Was this for the 5 speed or 6 speed? SVT? I'm looking to buy the same kit but don't have to install some plastic garbage if I'm going through all the work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed the clutch in my '03 Focus SVT with the LUK 07-175 kit. The trans is leaking and it appears that it's leaking because of the slave cylinder. There's conflicting information as to whether, with the LUK one, you throw away the old seal and use Loctite 5980 (or some equivalent) to remedy the issue. The other notable way of fixing this is to use the exact OEM slave and I'm only guessing, not use any sealant and to then use the supplied seal. However, I can't get any straight answers anywhere...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
With my '05 Focus, I ended up using an OEM slave cylinder. My factory slave cylinder had a seal made onto it and not an o-ring. I used anaerobic sealer when I installed the OE replacement slave cylinder. I also had issues with the aftermarket plastic slave cylinder fitting into the seal bore properly.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
About as long as it took to reinstall the transmission. It was still holding when I sold the car in October 2018 and I did the job in 2014.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts