Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 02 focus with 15000 miles and an automatic transmission in spring of 03. It has always has this lugging shaking problem when I'm accelerating. As I'm accelerating it revs too high and finally makes a noise and a luggin/shaking motion that lunges the car forward as it goes to the next higher gear. The problem only gets worst when the AC is on. I'm having this same problem when I'm decelerating. I've taken it into the dealership twice for this problem once they allegedly recalibrated the software that decides when to shift. And the second time they replaiced the coil pack on the #2 cylinder. Neither fixed the problem. Last week this same problem occurred except this time a light came on, it wasn't the check engine light, I looked at the manual and it's the light that's for automatic cars and zetech engines, it also said to have car serviced. I've driven the car since then and the light hasn't come on again but the problem still exist. Please help.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
It really sounds like a tranny problem, the only other thing I can think of is a loose mount to the tranny.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
you cant just replace the coil pack on the #2 cylinder either, the whole thing has to be replaced, but i believe viney is right

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would drop the transmission pan and replace the transmission filter, checking for metal shavings, particles, and such stuff. I would then add the cheapest fluid I could buy that meets the Ford Spec (to make it drivable) and take it to a Dealer or reputable transmission place for a 100% fluid exchange.

Or, if you're not into DIY, get the dealer to replace the transmission filter and do a 100% fluid exchange.

It is possible that (a) your transmission has a major issue (which would be obvious if there is metal crud in the filter/pan), or (b) a prior owner might have put some transmission fluid of the wrong type in the transmission (some people don't read manuals and figure "Oh, it's a Ford wo it must take type'F'.")

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Even tho the light cleared itself the computer should still be holding the code, which the dealer can scan...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Since this has been going on for some time, and since it sounds like this thing is pretty messed up, I'd take it straight to a good transmission shop. If it's shuddering and the clutches are chattering, I think you'll find it's well beyond the point of any DIY repairs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I'd take it straight to a good transmission shop.'

Good advice, in my experience it is rather difficult to find a good and honest tranmission shop. So it's a very good idea to start looking ASAP and try to get some perosnal recommendations. They will probably want to drop the pan in any case to inspect for those metal shavings and particles, so even if they did not find a fault, you could at least get the fluid and filter changed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts