Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lug nut torque

60K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  pfsantos 
#1 ·
So, stupid question, but what is the torque spec for lug nuts on the svt (I tried the search tool and owners manual with no luck)? The tire shop used to write torqued to 90 ft lbs on my receipt but I have no idea if that was correct or not.

#7 ·
quick thread jack [;)] so what would a normal 00-04 foci's lug torque be?

oh wait, I spelled it wrong: TORK! (fyi, a paper napkin company [hihi])

#10 ·
like Orange said. Stay away from impact guns.
I can attest to that...... if you have em on the highest setting and you're putting it on, there's a possibility it might go on crooked and strip the snot out of your threads..... you can use one, just go on the lowest or second lowest setting.... just an FYI.

#11 ·
oh duh, my Haynes is right here on my desk!

Torque Specs:
2000...... 63 ft lbs
2001 and later...... 94 ft lbs

doesn't mention anything to the SVT though [dunno] (I'm guessing they have an SVT haynes?)

#14 ·
the only issue I'd see with over-torque-ing the lug would be, well.......it might break, but you'd just have a hell of a time getting it off, especially if you don't use anti-seize [hihi]

but yeah, hand tighten at first, then go slow with the impact, then torque it down [thumb]

(sorry, really late post, I had lunch first, lol)

#15 ·
Impact guns are a no no.... I have a 1/2 drive impact that'll put them at 660ft/lbs.... nothing more than a stud breaker.

#18 ·
I use a 100 Lb/Ft Torque Stick with my 1/2" air impact (and have checked it out with my torque wrench). Never stripped or broke a stud. Definately hand start the lug nuts though!

#22 ·
I tighten down by hand and then finish up with the torque wrench. I know someone who was driving down the road with a load in the bed of his tuck and the studs started to shoot off like bullets because he overtightened the lugs and weakened them.

#24 ·
For ease and speed: impact wrench and 100lb/ft Torque Stick. You won't overtighten!

#25 ·
For 2008-2011 models:

100 ft-lb, 135 N.m

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/530...age=204#manual

"WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS

Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque at 500 miles (800 km) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire, wheel removal, etc.).

Bolt size M12 x 1.5*

Torque specifications are for nut and bolt threads free of dirt and rust. Use only Ford recommended replacement fasteners.

2010 Focus (foc)Owners Guide, 1st PrintingUSA"

(tags: 2008 2009 2010 2011 Ford Focus Wheel lug nut bolt size torque)

+987987 to the guys using torque wrenches or impact guns with torque sticks. And yes, always thread the first few threads by hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.