Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, stupid question, but what is the torque spec for lug nuts on the svt (I tried the search tool and owners manual with no luck)? The tire shop used to write torqued to 90 ft lbs on my receipt but I have no idea if that was correct or not.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I usually go 100ft\lbs

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
quick thread jack [;)] so what would a normal 00-04 foci's lug torque be?

oh wait, I spelled it wrong: TORK! (fyi, a paper napkin company [hihi])

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
like Orange said. Stay away from impact guns.
I can attest to that...... if you have em on the highest setting and you're putting it on, there's a possibility it might go on crooked and strip the snot out of your threads..... you can use one, just go on the lowest or second lowest setting.... just an FYI.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
oh duh, my Haynes is right here on my desk!

Torque Specs:
2000...... 63 ft lbs
2001 and later...... 94 ft lbs

doesn't mention anything to the SVT though [dunno] (I'm guessing they have an SVT haynes?)

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I usually go to 95 ft. lbs.

If you use an impact gun, make sure to thread the lugnut on before tightening it with the gun...that should help avoid stripping the stud.

Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
oh duh, my Haynes is right here on my desk!

Torque Specs:
2000...... 63 ft lbs
2001 and later...... 94 ft lbs

doesn't mention anything to the SVT though [dunno] (I'm guessing they have an SVT haynes?)
you're right about the torque specs. thought it was 97. anywho, no SVT Haynes. standard Focus manual. Helps for alot of non-SVT-specific specs though!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
the only issue I'd see with over-torque-ing the lug would be, well.......it might break, but you'd just have a hell of a time getting it off, especially if you don't use anti-seize [hihi]

but yeah, hand tighten at first, then go slow with the impact, then torque it down [thumb]

(sorry, really late post, I had lunch first, lol)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Impact guns are a no no.... I have a 1/2 drive impact that'll put them at 660ft/lbs.... nothing more than a stud breaker.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Impact guns are a no no.... I have a 1/2 drive impact that'll put them at 660ft/lbs.... nothing more than a stud breaker.
what, no low speed setting?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use a 100 Lb/Ft Torque Stick with my 1/2" air impact (and have checked it out with my torque wrench). Never stripped or broke a stud. Definately hand start the lug nuts though!

·
Registered
268 Posts
SVT wheel torque spec is 94ftlb. I typically torque most car lug nuts to 100ftlb, it is just a good round number to use as a standard.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 2000 focus should be at 94ftlb also (not 63.) The other problem with over tightening lugnuts is that you can warp the rotors. Tighten 94-100ftlb and you will have no problems. Overtighten and things can break or warp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts