Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just replaced the nuts on my wife's 15. My cost through my work is cheaper than list and ford still wanted 6.50 each. F that noise. Bought some black splined gorilla lugs with key on Amazon for around 25 bucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finished swapping all the lug nuts over the weekend. Figured out the best way to get the old lug nut out of the socket is to hold the socket in hand (use mechanics gloves or equivalent) and then insert the steel rod into the lug nut hole and quickly tap it with the hammer and the old lug it will come out. Works a lot faster and easier then trying to do fewer strong hits. But really do it before u have to use the hammer as it is a pita....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had issues with these ridiculous Ford lug nuts on three vehicles. Recently I bought a 2014 Escape and took it to have new tires installed. The installing company refused because of damage to many of the lug nuts. They were deformed, rounded off, etc. They said if I could get them loose and put new ones on, they'd install my tires.

I've had similar experiences with two Focuses I've owned plus my son's Focus.

So my advice is this. I got really nice, solid steel chrome lug nuts in a set off of ebay. 16 nuts for my Focus was something like $15 delivered. I got a set of 20 for the Escape for about $20 delivered.

There are some nifty "damaged lug nut remover socket sets" that can be had for around $20 to $30. I got one, again off ebay, and it came with around five sockets that cover the range of common lug nuts out there. Rather ingenious, and much harder to describe than to just look at and go "Ahh." There are some reverse tapered grooves that enable the socket to engage the damaged points of the lug nut and grip tighter as the socket is turned in a counterclockwise direction. Works like a charm, and while I may never use them again in my lifetime, they were awesome even if it was a one-time use.

Finally, I bought myself a really cool little "torque multiplying" lug nut removal tool set in a compact little blow molded case. It also was on ebay. Around $40. I'm 63 years old, and if I get caught on the road with a flat and need to put on the spare, I don't want to struggle with lug nuts overtorqued by some bozo at a tire store...or a Ford dealer. The tool set I have uses a gear box reduction of something like 18:1. You put the correct socket on one gear box shaft and a little crank handle goes on the other. There is a "stabilizer" arm that hooks over another one of the wheel lug nuts to keep everything in place. Crank the handle a bit and it will break even the toughest lug nut loose. Once loose, the socket can be swapped off of the gear box to the crank handle to make removal go faster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought some new tires at 31K. A few of the lugs nuts on each wheel needed a socket hammered on so they could be removed. I bought some new lug nuts while getting tires put on. Also checked lug nut torque back home. Discount Tire was spot on.

Glad I didn't discover this out on the highway trying to change a flat.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've had issues with these ridiculous Ford lug nuts on three vehicles. Recently I bought a 2014 Escape and took it to have new tires installed. The installing company refused because of damage to many of the lug nuts. They were deformed, rounded off, etc. They said if I could get them loose and put new ones on, they'd install my tires.

I've had similar experiences with two Focuses I've owned plus my son's Focus.

So my advice is this. I got really nice, solid steel chrome lug nuts in a set off of ebay. 16 nuts for my Focus was something like $15 delivered. I got a set of 20 for the Escape for about $20 delivered.

There are some nifty "damaged lug nut remover socket sets" that can be had for around $20 to $30. I got one, again off ebay, and it came with around five sockets that cover the range of common lug nuts out there. Rather ingenious, and much harder to describe than to just look at and go "Ahh." There are some reverse tapered grooves that enable the socket to engage the damaged points of the lug nut and grip tighter as the socket is turned in a counterclockwise direction. Works like a charm, and while I may never use them again in my lifetime, they were awesome even if it was a one-time use.

Finally, I bought myself a really cool little "torque multiplying" lug nut removal tool set in a compact little blow molded case. It also was on ebay. Around $40. I'm 63 years old, and if I get caught on the road with a flat and need to put on the spare, I don't want to struggle with lug nuts overtorqued by some bozo at a tire store...or a Ford dealer. The tool set I have uses a gear box reduction of something like 18:1. You put the correct socket on one gear box shaft and a little crank handle goes on the other. There is a "stabilizer" arm that hooks over another one of the wheel lug nuts to keep everything in place. Crank the handle a bit and it will break even the toughest lug nut loose. Once loose, the socket can be swapped off of the gear box to the crank handle to make removal go faster.
Friend, next time around, simply buy an 18mm and 19mm impact sockets, a 2 or 3ft. long 1/2" breaker bar, and keep a 3 ft. pipe that slides over the handle of the breaker bar.
Any lug nut will come off like butter.
Will only take 10 lbs of your effort.
I put that setup in all my girls' cars (with whatever socket size their car needs of course).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Friend, next time around, simply buy an 18mm and 19mm impact sockets, a 2 or 3ft. long 1/2" breaker bar, and keep a 3 ft. pipe that slides over the handle of the breaker bar.
Any lug nut will come off like butter.
Will only take 10 lbs of your effort.
I put that setup in all my girls' cars (with whatever socket size their car needs of course).
Unless it twists off the lug nut bolt with it, then you are literally screwed. I had this happen on my former 2002 ZX5. Was using an 18 inch breaker bar (because my tire iron wasn't getting the job done). The lug nut came off and the bolt along with it. Fortunately my local car shop is only a mile away so I was able to carefully drive there. (Should note that this had nothing to do the bad lug nuts as I had replaced those about a year before, more to do with everything rusting.)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts