Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all.

Had an interesting experience today, Went to do my breaks, and the first lug nut I tried to turn, spun through, guess these are the capped nuts and the cap failed...Last people to work on it was my ford dealer so I assume they over-torqued them. Also what size are these suppose to be, the 19mm or 3/4 sockets don't fit without hammering them on, so I used 13/16 which had some but not too much play(didn't have a 20 mm around). I assume these are supposed to be 19 mm right? [facepalm]

Anyway, I need to get new lugnuts that are not trash for this car...any recommendations on brands. Don't need to be anything fancy.

Also, if ford refuses to swap these out for me for free (I plan to give them my new lug nuts, so hope they will do the labor, as I sure bring this car in there a lot!). How do I go about removing the failed or all of the screwed up lug nuts? I guess I can hammer on the 3/4 or 19 mm socket one by one, and see if that will get em off, or get a 20 mm and hope the other ones will come off...

Thanks.

P.S Will these work well? (McGard 64012 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COS0GU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do a google search on defective Ford lug nuts, the capped lug nuts look nice but fail over time. There was a class action lawsuit but it was recently thrown out.

Ford won't replace them for free. You can try, if they do let us know but your car is out of warranty and there's no reason for them to replace them for free. Even if they did replace them for free, why would you want defective lug nuts on your car?

I just got the lug nuts from where I buy my tires, Discount Tire. Amazon has a "does this fit my vehicle" checklist and the ones you linked to are shown as working on my '14 Focus so they should be fine. I don't know which wheels you are using but if you want to switch to black lug nuts for appearance, now would be the time.

Here is a video on the problem, but again the lawsuit was recently thrown out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Heat1, I was planning to have them use the nuts I bought, so just the labor, and no more shitty ford nuts. Not sure if they will do it though, but worth a try. Any recommendation on getting of the screwed up lug nuts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
That would be dealer specific. As an example my local Ford dealership would refuse to use any part not provided by, or bought from, them. E.g. no key cutting / programming if key wasn't bought from them, etc. But a dealer about 20 miles away does.

In this case it's a stuck lug nut, you don't need the dealer. Take it to a tire shop, they have tricks to get the old lug nut off and can sell you new lug nuts. If the lug bolt get damaged any mechanic can replace it; I think I paid about $100 to have two lug bolts replaced on my '01 PT Cruiser (both were bad on the same wheel).

·
Registered
499 Posts
To get the damaged lug nut off, assuming you were able to get the cover off, just use the next smaller socket size and remove it. My daughter's Focus had several of the caps missing when we got the car so I ended up removing/replacing them all because not only did they look bad but I didn't want her to have to remove them using 2 different sized sockets in an emergency.

If you have some time for some reading, take a look here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, well I ordered lug nut removing sockets so will try to use those. The caps are still on, but I hope either the lug nut remover will rip them off or it will compress the cap enough to grab the smaller nut to remove it. Looks like most of my lug nuts are like this. Unbelievable...will not be a fun weekend...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks, well I ordered lug nut removing sockets so will try to use those. The caps are still on, but I hope either the lug nut remover will rip them off or it will compress the cap enough to grab the smaller nut to remove it. Looks like most of my lug nuts are like this. Unbelievable...will not be a fun weekend...
I had similar issues on my older 2002 Focus, same style jacketed lug nuts. (Ford never learns!) I had to find a deep well socket that was a hair undersized and just hammer that onto the bad lug nuts. I replaced them with cheap lug nuts from Autozone and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey all.

Had an interesting experience today, Went to do my breaks, and the first lug nut I tried to turn, spun through, guess these are the capped nuts and the cap failed...Last people to work on it was my ford dealer so I assume they over-torqued them. Also what size are these suppose to be, the 19mm or 3/4 sockets don't fit without hammering them on, so I used 13/16 which had some but not too much play(didn't have a 20 mm around). I assume these are supposed to be 19 mm right? [facepalm]

Anyway, I need to get new lugnuts that are not trash for this car...any recommendations on brands. Don't need to be anything fancy.

Also, if ford refuses to swap these out for me for free (I plan to give them my new lug nuts, so hope they will do the labor, as I sure bring this car in there a lot!). How do I go about removing the failed or all of the screwed up lug nuts? I guess I can hammer on the 3/4 or 19 mm socket one by one, and see if that will get em off, or get a 20 mm and hope the other ones will come off...

Thanks.

P.S Will these work well? (McGard 64012 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COS0GU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )
With cap, 19mm, not, 3/4".
Without cap, 18mm.
Using a 3/4 usually wouldn't round them, so, you must have used one that is wallered out too much, or you used a bigger size mistakenly.
When the caps come off, they work great as a theft deterrent.

If you only have a 19mm, simply move a loose cap from one lug nut to the other when you need to remove them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the cap is still on but damaged, you can probably hammer on a 3/4 inch socket. Not much to lose as it's already fit for the trash bin as are the remaining ones. Hardest part is getting them back out of the socket so you may have to have a bolt and a hammer ready to knock the lugnut out each time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had similar issues on my older 2002 Focus, same style jacketed lug nuts. (Ford never learns!) I had to find a deep well socket that was a hair undersized and just hammer that onto the bad lug nuts. I replaced them with cheap lug nuts from Autozone and never looked back.
Same on my former 2002. At some point, the "caps" started coming off. I kept them and just inserted one into the socket before putting on the socket on the lug nut. The only problem was that sometimes the caps would get stuck in the socket, which was a pain to get out of the socket. I discovered this the first time a cap came off, it was came off in the socket. Eventually it got to the point that a little over half of the caps had come off. I tired of fighting with them, and finally got a set of new lug nuts at the local auto parts store.

When I got the snow tires for my 2018, they sent me a set of good lug nuts included (at no extra cost, I didn't order them). When I put the regular tires back on, I just used these instead of what came with the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a flat one day not long after a rotation at ford dealership. I took a nail. Lucky I was almost home so got it to my driveway. Damn lugs were so tight I could not get them off. I called a towing company to get tire off. When he got there he gave me the you are a ***** look. He first tried a impacter. Next the small cheater bar. He ended up having to use the 6 foot handle from his heavy duty truck jack with all his might to get them off. I just gave him a smirk and said “told ya they were tight”. After that made it very clear that the Ford mechanics will use a torque wrench on my wheels. They the manager if ever happens again I will watch the mechanic do the rotation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. Ended up hammering on a 3/4 inch impact socket on a lugnut and then I was able to remove them with a breaker bar. Installed solid lug nuts after. To remove old lug nuts from the socket I used a 12 mm steel rod. I held the socket in place with pliers and inserted the rod into the square ratchet hole (what is that called?) and would hammer on the rod, takes quiet a few tries but eventually the old lug nut pops out. Takes about 5-10 min a lug nut this way...most of the time hammering on and removing old lug nuts from the socket, the would put on a new lug nut and torque it down. Went in a start pattern, and retorqued to 100 ft-lbs, drove it around the block and then checked the torque again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Way to go. Much better to deal with the pain of removing them now than during a road emergency. Just think about how many people tried to change a flat out on the road and found out about this issue the hard way. Ford used this type of lug nut for a long time and for all I know, they still do. Real shame.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a flat one day not long after a rotation at ford dealership. I took a nail. Lucky I was almost home so got it to my driveway. Damn lugs were so tight I could not get them off. I called a towing company to get tire off. When he got there he gave me the you are a ***** look. He first tried a impacter. Next the small cheater bar. He ended up having to use the 6 foot handle from his heavy duty truck jack with all his might to get them off. I just gave him a smirk and said “told ya they were tight”. After that made it very clear that the Ford mechanics will use a torque wrench on my wheels. They the manager if ever happens again I will watch the mechanic do the rotation.
That's a dealer for you. My local tire shop uses air wrenches set to very low torque to set everything in place, then the techs hand torque the lugs nuts down at the end.

Have you ever used a hand torque wrench to tighten a lug nut down to Ford's specs? It's only 100 ft/lbs and you would be surprised at how loose that feels when you are doing it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had the opposite problem after a safety inspection on my wife's minivan. They said it needed front brake pads (long story but it didn't) and when I went to do the work, the lugs were coming off really easily. So, I set my torque wrench to 70 ft-lb and removed re remainder of them and not one of them caused the wrench to click. I'm guessing they were around 50, if that.

So much for a safety inspection where you are worse off when you leave than when you came in.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not lugs, but years ago I had an oil change at a Chevy dealer. I noticed a light trail of oil in my driveway when I got home. Popped the hood and freely spun the filter with my hand.

It's only 100 ft/lbs and you would be surprised at how loose that feels when you are doing it.
Only 80 ft-lbs on my Sienna.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts