Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

w/ my magic bag
Yea the top dog Zetec was designed/engineered By Cosworth which went into the svt's...More compression, higher lift/duration cams + (vct on the intake) as well as slightly longer rods as well as a different piston pin heights are among many of the differences vs a regular zetec......From what I understand is Ford commissioned Cosworth in the early 2k's to come up w/ a n/a 2L using the zetec basis.....as thats what they had at the time. The dtech is a Mazda designed motor which Ford switched over to, beginning in '03 for better emissions & lighter weight.....Have a svt, stick w/ the svt motor.

Focus Hoarder
i understand, but to make it easier for anyone who doesn't know engines wouldn't realize the SVT is just a tuned/modified standard Zetec

and i have an 04 and 05 that were year prior early builds with still the zetecs (I actually have a mk1.5 i THINK) its got the next gen headlights but a zetec...

im confuzzled myself why some of these have the engines they do im not sure if they were stock with them or someone swapped all i know is they were all bought new and i only bought Zetecs for the company cars to make it easier to use parts swap parts and fix hehe..

w/ my magic bag
Really easy to swap over the hood/fenders/lights/bumper on either......IK the '05's were brought out in early '04 as '05's making the production run of '05's longer then the '06/'07's.....

Focus Hoarder
who knows what they did xD all i know is they were cheap, they were all inspected and passed my safety check. i purchased them and threw in all new brakes/fluid/full tuneup/TB kit/endlinks and sent them to the ministry for its road safety and got them back roadlegal xD..

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Update! (Finally...)
So, a compression-ignition test revealed the traitor; open intake valves. The head hasn't been taken off yet, so whether they're bent or just stuck is unknown (although they're most likely bent) but the compression is leaving through the intake.
My mechanic was roughly estimating the cost to be between $1000-2000.
Most likely cause; the timing belt must have slipped a tooth.
Well, looks like it's something I won't be able to do without a machine shop.

I think I'll just suck it up and pay, because I want my focus back on the road.
If it was legit anything else that didn't require a machine shop, I probably would have done it myself.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

FUBARCUS
Sorry to hear about the those issues! You might be able to find a used head when good valves for sale but it would be risky.

Hopefully your mechanic can get you squared away soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah, here's hoping. I'll get more information and a more accurate estimate, and whether I can do it myself, and just send the head and valves (if necessary) into a machine shop to get reground.
Welp, I'll be lucky to get this all finished by FocusFest, if I decide to go...

w/ my magic bag
Yeah, here's hoping. I'll get more information and a more accurate estimate, and whether I can do it myself, and just send the head and valves (if necessary) into a machine shop to get reground.
Welp, I'll be lucky to get this all finished by FocusFest, if I decide to go...

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile
If you've never dealt w/ any kind of head assembly, best to have a machine shop do it....New valves you'd want to have the head machined & possibly do a light machine surfaced....You'll get it up & running strong....

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
So, update: Lucy is going to be fixed. By me. In a home garage. Pictures to follow, once she gets back home. I'll catalog what I can and make her run again. I do have an end goal: FocusFest. Although I'm not expecting to, I want to get Lucy to FF 2018.

So, whole I'm busy working on her,
Say hello to Maz, my new 2007 Mazda 3. It's got a 2.3l engine and a 5 speed stick, and 75000 miles. She's my new daily driver, and boy is she a hoon!
Maz will be going to Focus fest in Lucy's place if Lucy can't go herself. (Depending on who all of my friends I've invited comes, she might be going anyway)

So, yeah! New car, Newfound motivation, yay! Updates and more pics to follow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
Lucy is Home! Time to fix some Valves!
We played the largest tug-of-war I've seen, A Focus between 2 Vans, to get it off of the trailer. Damn those U-Haul tow dollies and their deep wheel pockets!
Hopefully, she'll be done by FocusFest!

Registered
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Got a new head for it! I've got it up for sale, but I'll keep working on it, just in case nobody buys it.

Registered
That sucks man. My buddy's Svt is constantly down. First autox I went to with him, his heater hoses split, that was a bitch and a half to find. Then the lower coolant hose blew off during some back roads, overheated and cooked that engine. Engine two went in, rod bearing spun after a couple thousand miles... next engine and then the clutch has been giving him issues ever since. hes on clutch and flywheel 2 after the swap because of a faulty slave.

These SVT just do not like being messed with haha.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Finally I sold the car. It is out of my hands, still broken down. Another local SVT enthusiast bought it, most likely as parts for his SVTF.
I'm sure I'll pick up another, better SVT Focus sometime in the future. They're fun cars, and I can't wait to return to Ford.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts