Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
So, sadly, Lucy is out of commission. While driving near my house, she died and refused to start. While I initially feared a timing belt failure, I have since figured out that the engine has lost all compression. *shrug* Which could mean a lot of things, many of them expensive. I'm debating whether I buy a new(er) car and junk the Focus, or make the Focus a longterm project. I suppose the final judgement will be placed upon her this week, whenever we get it to my mechanic. Hoping for the best, but planning for the worst...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

w/ my magic bag
Remove all the plugs & redo the compression again, making sure the t/b is failed & the cams turn over....

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
The cams themselves could be broken, but the timing belt and cam gears spin just fine with the engine. It's sitting on the street outside the house until we find the time to tow it down to my uncle's shop, so he can diagnose it and tell us if it's ****** or not. I may be looking for a new car... another svtf?
In the meantime, the Lancer (which my little bro usually drives) is my daily to and fro for the indefinite future. Yay...

w/ my magic bag
The cams themselves could be broken, but the timing belt and cam gears spin just fine with the engine. It's sitting on the street outside the house until we find the time to tow it down to my uncle's shop, so he can diagnose it and tell us if it's ****** or not. I may be looking for a new car... another svtf?
In the meantime, the Lancer (which my little bro usually drives) is my daily to and fro for the indefinite future. Yay...

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile
Cams themselfs don't just break.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
So cams don't break, whatever! All I know is I have no compression, no time, and no patience.
Sorry, it's just... aggravating! It was driving fine before this, and now it's not for suddenly no reason!
*sigh* maybe I needed a break from the Focus.

So, the plan now;
-Get Lucy to my mechanic, ASAP (which probably means Friday or Sunday) and diagnose it.
- Debate on whether it would be best to keep Lucy or buy another car.
->There's a Silver 2004 SVT 5 door with 96,000 miles in Eagan, around an hour from where I live, for 4 grand. It also has the leather Recaro seats, and anything I want on it from Lucy, I could just unbolt it. I'd have to buy a new tune from Tom, though...

Meh.
Hhmm. I'll be the one to stir the pot. Installs Tom's Tune, has blown engine. Maybe the rumors aren't so far off.

Interested in seeing what the diagnosis is because it could be a lot of things that went wrong.

BTW Although the price is a bit high, that silver SVT sounds like a pretty good option if it's in good shape.

Registered
I don't know how long you had this car for prior, but why don't you be 100%
sure that it is running right _without_ the tune before you install it? Put like 5K miles on
it after you do plugs, TB, etc. and be sure it runs right consistently, then do a tune. Just my 2 cents.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
I don't know how long you had this car for prior, but why don't you be 100%
sure that it is running right _without_ the tune before you install it? Put like 5K miles on
it after you do plugs, TB, etc. and be sure it runs right consistently, then do a tune. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I'll do that after I've diagnosed it and fix it. If she's running again, it'll take some slow steps back up to the tune. She's gotta run right before she runs faster.

Focus Hoarder
Pull the upper timing cover off and spin the engine by hand and see how far out the timing marks are and if the belt is even in one peice... this is what happens to the belts when they go they dont usually just snap they shear the teeth off one by one and you end up with this which slips on the crank cam

Focus Hoarder
I'd be using the Gates Blue belt.....
haven't seen that one around in Canada, i use straight form Ford ones, after seeing THAT belt in a car a mechanic deemed destroyed and they wanted to scrap the poor focus.. no if ands or buts all my Zetecs including my newly aquired SVT will get a new belt at exactly 100,000 on the mark i dont care if the belts are good for another 50k a $65 belt is cheaper then a $2000 upper end replacement...

(Added)
this belt was off a Zetec DOHC 16 Valve 2002 Ford Focus Wagon, its non interference

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Lucy is at the mechanic's! He'll check it out sometime this week and give me a ring to deliver the news. Hopefully the car isn't too effed up.

Also that silver focus svt 5 Dr is down to 3000, so that is a possible alternative, should Lucy be pronounced dead.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
As of yet, nothing. He hasn't called me yet.

On another note, how do the normal zetecs and duratecs run? Which is better? How easy are they to mod?
I've begun looking at other cars just in case, but for some reason the Focus tends to be on my list in one form or another. In addition to the CDSil SVTF, there's a 02 zx3 and an 07 zx3 I'm looking at...
Also on my radar is a 2005 ZX4 ST out in WI for 6000, but that's a bit too far out of my budget.
(Also on my list is a few Hyundai Tiburons, a Mazda 6 and P5, and a few others)

Focus Hoarder
both have there can of worms.. i switch between the Zetec and Duratec constantly and dont really see a difference.. maybe the duratec has a little more spunk i dont know they are both the same sized motors just redesigned on the duratec.

heres the thing each has its pros and cons for modding...

also you can pick up a second hand SVT engine cheap these days i just called the local scrap yard they have 2 on the shelf just the motor no ancillaries for $750, they also give a 90 day on the engine itself to

heres the thing i dont think your belt let go honestly because if it was the belt he would of known straight off the bat with the backfiring/farting though the intake,, they are very uhh pronounced when the belts drop

this is what it will sound like with the belt toast and not working
http://www.e-techcomp.ca/images/mycars/techstuff/videos/DSCF1614.MP4

this is after 4 hours doing a full timing belt replacement with waterpump and all the pullies and tensioner (same car the next day)
the rattling is the rear hatch not fully closed vibrating away
http://www.e-techcomp.ca/images/mycars/techstuff/videos/DSCF1861.MP4

very cold start, old gas (over a year old) i rolled it out of the garage.

w/ my magic bag
I'd wait till your mechanic says whats up.....You also mentioned how easier are the other motors to mod, well you have the top dog cosworth designed zetec.....yea its a interference motor, meaning the valves travel into where the pistons were, which gets you more power. Quite a few motors are interference including all diesels. Dtechs are a Mazda mzr motor which is a different designed motor. You'll want to get a 23 one like you mentioned a '05 st, a set of cams & a header w/ a bsd would be the way to go for a dtech. I'd stick w/ a svt as its really sorted out. Yea its a little more maintenance intenence, t/b, w/p, vct, imrc....buts its a hoot to drive. I wouldn't be swapping a svt for a regular zetec thou......

Focus Hoarder
I'd wait till your mechanic says whats up.....You also mentioned how easier are the other motors to mod, well you have the top dog cosworth designed zetec.....yea its a interference motor, meaning the valves travel into where the pistons were, which gets you more power. Quite a few motors are interference including all diesels. Dtechs are a Mazda mzr motor which is a different designed motor. You'll want to get a 23 one like you mentioned a '05 st, a set of cams & a header w/ a bsd would be the way to go for a dtech. I'd stick w/ a svt as its really sorted out. Yea its a little more maintenance intenence, t/b, w/p, vct, imrc....buts its a hoot to drive. I wouldn't be swapping a svt for a regular zetec thou......
heh ^^^ you mentioned zetec was Interference [poke]

2.0 Zetec = Belted = Non Interference
SVT = Belted = Interference
Duratec = Chain = Interference

21 - 40 of 56 Posts