Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm starting this thread because I'm starting to mod my 2004 Ford Focus SVT, which I named 'Lucy'. She's a Sonic Blue ZX3 style, build number 199 out of the 1978 made for 2004, with a few simple mods, most notably the lack of a muffler, which will be fixed. I'm starting this thread mostly to keep track of what I do to her.
the Lucy name come from the license plate (UCY) but also my grandmother's Focus wagon, which had the license plate LCY. Funny how that works, eh?

Goals: just overall drivability. She's my daily, and probably will be for some time. Extra power is just icing on the cake [grinking]

So starting off with what I bought; Tom's Tune! so excited for this, I've heard amazing things about it! But... with that I needed to do some other things. Motorcraft SP463 Copper Core spark plugs, a 180 Degree thermostat, a wideband air/fuel gauge, and MSD spark plug wires/pack. I figured hey, if I'm gonna get the spark plugs, might as well install the wires and pack with it. I already have a muffler, and will be putting that on (as soon as I order a dump valve, because I love that ratty exhaust note sometimes.)

Tom's Tune - $462 (and gonna be worth every penny!)
Wideband - $190
MSD Coil Pack/Wires - $158
180 Deg Thermo - $20
MC SP463 - $11
Shipping - $30
Day 1 Total - $871 [eek]

Now, to wait for the parts to ship and get a job so I can actually buy more parts!
Oh, and I'll be doing everything in my driveway. And there was much rejoicing...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,365 Posts
How many miles? & do you know or have paperwork of when the t/b was done? Very critical or your walking.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The car has 163,000, a bit high but she's in good shape. I don't have any records of T/B being done, but I will most likely be doing it this summer. the car is also giving me the MIL for P1381, over-advanced cam, so once I get the tools and kit, I'll crack open the front of the engine and do a tb job, and try to clear that damn code.

she's also my daily driver, and so I'm going to have to find time when I won't need her to be able to do the timing belt.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,365 Posts
If you have no idea when the t/b was done= I'd be doing asap as it'll cost a lot more when the pistons slam the valves & then your walking......No waiting around there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, because it's an interference engine, I know. I'm going to talk to my mechanic, see how much it might cost to service it and fix the MIL. There are things I will fix, but as a college student and aspiring mechanic, I don't think I have the tools or experience to do a timing belt properly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,365 Posts
Yeah, because it's an interference engine, I know. I'm going to talk to my mechanic, see how much it might cost to service it and fix the MIL. There are things I will fix, but as a college student and aspiring mechanic, I don't think I have the tools or experience to do a timing belt properly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile
For sure find a mechanic that knows about svt timing.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Talked to mechanic today, have a day set for next Monday for me to bring Lucy in and get the timing belt done and and get that CEL fixed.
-Also, got a call from CFM, they were out of a product I ordered, the 8.5mm spark plug wires. So I instead ordered the 8mm, like there would be much of a performance difference. They should be arriving in the mail Tuesday.
-Lastly, I picked up paint and materials needed for painting my wheels (thanks magus, for the wheel cleaning product list!) I'm going to go for a dark grey, which should nicely contrast my dark blue paint.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,365 Posts
Since your there, Get the t-stat/housing done also......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already ordered and on its way, Felix. I love this car, so I'm making sure the engine runs sweet and smooth before I start to modify it!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,365 Posts
Already ordered and on its way, Felix. I love this car, so I'm making sure the engine runs sweet and smooth before I start to modify it!

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile
Really not much to do......K&N drop in filter, Steeda sts, possibly add Baer brake Eradispeed rotors, ss brake hoses...I'd be collecting a spare imrc, vct. http://c-f-m.com & if you really want to deal w/ the t-stat housing once & for all & add some bling...Bostig Inc. - the most trusted Vanagon Engine Conversion

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There isn't much to do because I'm not wanting much out. I want (at the moment) a good, fun daily driver, something to get 20mpg and still have a blast doing it! I'm not shooting for huge hp gains. Yet.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Good, because there are NOT appreciable gains to be had other than forced induction.

It's a GREAT car for handling and racing as IS, but not an extremely high powered one.

PLENTY of power for fun though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New fog lights! Also, got the flasher in the mail, gonna call Tom tomorrow, and set it up.
Let the tuning process begin!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Talked to Tom today, got the base set up and downloaded.
HOLY Mother of pearl, it feels new! Did a couple minutes of driving, and it idles smoother, revs better, just drives better! I actually have power below 3,000 rpm for once! I've already started data logging, because I know the next tune I get from him will be so much better!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Started getting in the new Spark Plugs, Coil, and Wires in last night but lack of a feeler gauge and (eventually) light kept me form finishing. Which I did today! Gonna datalog some more, with new plugs, coil, and wires to make the engine that much better.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts