Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I tried posting this in the market but for some reason I couldn't start a thread.

I'm looking to buy one or two of the five spoke rims. If you know an online retailer or have some for sale then please let me know.

I scratched one a bit on a curb the other day. It isn't too bad. Are there any rim repair kits out there for this alloy?

Thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
I scratched an aluminum wheel on my Freestyle that left a sharp sliver on the wheel. I took my Dremel tool with a small grinding bit and very carefully took off the sharp. Then I used a series of wet dry sand paper to sand just the damaged area. I then taped off the surrounding area and sprayed several very light coats of clear to protect the area. It left a small indent and up close it was noticeable but it was cheaper than replacing the wheel for a small area of damage. I checked into purchasing 17" Titanium wheels and they are over $400 each. Too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scratched an aluminum wheel on my Freestyle that left a sharp sliver on the wheel. I took my Dremel tool with a small grinding bit and very carefully took off the sharp. Then I used a series of wet dry sand paper to sand just the damaged area. I then taped off the surrounding area and sprayed several very light coats of clear to protect the area. It left a small indent and up close it was noticeable but it was cheaper than replacing the wheel for a small area of damage. I checked into purchasing 17" Titanium wheels and they are over $400 each. Too rich for my blood.
thanks for the tips!

I think you're right about pricing. It's through the roof right now! I think I'll just look into seeing if I can get the paint on them touched up or maybe try using my dremel too. I think I saw a rim repair kit before but can't remember where right now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 18" tires are $275 each too, in the US. I'm afraid to price them out in Canada :p I'm being -really- careful not to scrape my wheels up.. $$$!

·
Registered
671 Posts
this is why I got the Road Hazard warranty. At $275 a pop for each tire and over $200 for each rim, $500 for 5 years was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I scraped one of my rims last week. Plan on using this DIY repair whenever it cools down.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=76160.0
Wow! Thanks so much! That was an amazing job that person did on their rim! Mine aren't near as bad but it's more spread out.

$275 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3531wt_833

Steve @ Tousely Ford quoted me $313 us for new in box
I saw that but it's a reconstructed rim, not brand new. I think I'd rather just buy a brand new one.

this is why I got the Road Hazard warranty. At $275 a pop for each tire and over $200 for each rim, $500 for 5 years was definitely worth it.
Hmmm, I may have to look into this Road Hazard warranty. My dealer never mentioned anything about that to me. I just got the car last week so I can probably still add it on. I think I would for sure too. $200 a rim is pretty expensive. Considering I'm trying to save up for
some new rims next year.

edit: Hmmm, would the Road Hazard warranty even cover things like rims getting scraped up? I'm guessing they would just repair and not replace the rims too.
Really appreciate the help the board members give out here! Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hmmm, I may have to look into this Road Hazard warranty. My dealer never mentioned anything about that to me. I just got the car last week so I can probably still add it on. I think I would for sure too. $200 a rim is pretty expensive. Considering I'm trying to save up for some new rims next year.

Really appreciate the help the board members give out here! Thanks!
They may not offer it for Canada(no idea) but my dealer made no mention of this either. He wanted to sell me the "Platinum or whatever they call it" extended warranty for something crazy like $1,200 or something. I told him all I wanted to do was get the Road Hazard warranty, he continued to tell me this and that about how the extended warranty covers this too blah blah blah etc until I told him I just wanted the Road Hazard. If you have the Michelin tires and the rims I for sure recommend the Road Hazard warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may not offer it for Canada(no idea) but my dealer made no mention of this either. He wanted to sell me the "Platinum or whatever they call it" extended warranty for something crazy like $1,200 or something. I told him all I wanted to do was get the Road Hazard warranty, he continued to tell me this and that about how the extended warranty covers this too blah blah blah etc until I told him I just wanted the Road Hazard. If you have the Michelin tires and the rims I for sure recommend the Road Hazard warranty.
Would the road hazard warranty even cover things like rim scrapes though? I'm guessing they would just repair the damage and not replace the rim if it does.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Would the road hazard warranty even cover things like rim scrapes though? I'm guessing they would just repair the damage and not replace the rim if it does.
No rim scrapes, but they will either repair or replace based on damage.(So if you scrape up your rim pretty bad, if you really want, get a hammer and crack it a bit yourself) If your rim is heavily cracked I am sure they will replace and not repair but even then if you go to the right shop some of them do a terrific job of repairing a cracked rim and insuring it balances properly. As for the tires, if you get a flat or something they'll just patch it up, but if you get a bubble or blow it out they will obviously replace it.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Greetings all.

I tried posting this in the market but for some reason I couldn't start a thread.

I'm looking to buy one or two of the five spoke rims. If you know an online retailer or have some for sale then please let me know.

I scratched one a bit on a curb the other day. It isn't too bad. Are there any rim repair kits out there for this alloy?

Thanks
The reason you couldn't post in the marketplace is because there is a 30 day waiting period for new members. I'm going to leave this thread open because there is some good information and discussion but please take a moment to review the member rules and BST rules:
http://focusfanatics.com/info/memberrules.asp
http://focusfanatics.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=30

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason you couldn't post in the marketplace is because there is a 30 day waiting period for new members. I'm going to leave this thread open because there is some good information and discussion but please take a moment to review the member rules and BST rules:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/info/memberrules.asp
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=30
Ah, true!

Thanks for leaving it open. It turned out to be a great amount of info. for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts