Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth time and money for LSD at the dragstrip. What are pros and cons of the diffferent brands? Opinions on which brand to get for drag applications. Just on an information hunt before i go spending money.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
It's probably not worth it the time and hassle unless your doing the work yourself and even then it's still probably not worth it. I do feel I need one but it's not really needed except when I turn, I would like to put the power down coming out of a turn more than I can now.

What times are you running right now?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
When I had to replace the differential in my Contour SVT i had the tranny rebuilt and a Torsen diff installed (at 96,000mi)
The limited slip gave a big boost off the line IF you could get it locked up immediately.
The one true drag start I did just to 'show off' The one wheel started to spin as usual and within a quarter second the second tied up and the car launched pretty spectacularly with (felt like) twice the thrust forward in the first fifty feet.
So the first five feet normal wheel spinning going nowhere then the grab and the car flings itself forward.
Impressive.
The tire track laid down the non-spinning wheel once it grabbed really left some 'solid'(good, showing it was really locked to pavement) rubber track without spinning. it was interesting.
That was my only drag race like experience with having the locking diff with a MTX75
If I were drag racing as a hobby, that extra thrust was worth the money anyday!
I did it because the diff was toast anyway and had to be replaced. So the Torsen only cost a little more than a new OEM one anyway.
So I would say if you do your own labor yeah. Or if you need a new clutch, that cuts to labor for just the diff.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
It would help for sure but from a cost stand point it's not worth it unless the tranny's out of the car. Buy stickier tires, they are cheaper than a diff and will help with any traction issues. The stock diff is the weakest link in the drive train though and I know this from experience. Also one wheel peel is embarrassing at the track lol now beating the rich boy noob in the S2000 next to you will help bring that embarrassment down a lot more lol

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
If you are serious about drag racing a limited slip is just about mandatory.
this guy is spot on, i can take some pics of my broken diff from when i launched on just some drag radials making around 220whp

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any difference in the torsen and quaiffe? quality experiences. planning on doing clutch flywheel and everything so figure while i was doing that might as well get the lsd. another question. thinking about doing the lsd install myself. anyone know of a good write up on doing the lsd.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
The torsen is from Ford racing and cheaper, no warranty. The quiaffe is from the UK, expensive, warrantied for life, really good reputation. Quiaffe probable has better quality. I'm currently getting a torsen installed because my clutch was toast. Cost and my time was a huge factor. I know there is a getrag torsen install video on youtube from illinipo.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
If you're doing it. Look into a Kaaz.

If you've got wheel lift, this is a great option.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
any difference in the torsen and quaiffe? quality experiences. planning on doing clutch flywheel and everything so figure while i was doing that might as well get the lsd. another question. thinking about doing the lsd install myself. anyone know of a good write up on doing the lsd.
Pretty much the same, and there is a write up somewhere also a video on youtube. ill look for you

·
Registered
26 Posts
this guy is spot on, i can take some pics of my broken diff from when i launched on just some drag radials making around 220whp
i had that same problem with my stock zetec but with 225/50r16 traction T/A and a bad 5K RPM launch. One of the planetary gears just opened in half. That convinced me of being careful with my launches and getting an lsd but when that happened i had no money so i found a used diff. for about 80$ .

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
im building my focus right now just for fun horspower on the weeknds and the occasional drag, im aiming for minimum 300whp and i am going wth an LSD

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's a good way to tell if you need a lsd. If you are having traction probs with slicks at the track get a lsd.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I 2nd that= try slick's 1st!

Here's a good way to tell if you need a lsd. If you are having traction probs with slicks at the track get a lsd.
I 2nd that! Try slick's 1st. You are going to need them anyway.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I LOVE it for winter driving - I had blizzaks on my car and it was unstoppable. In the rain it was fun too, hell, it was fun everywhere. 18" z rated radials didn't stand a chance - at least the T-2 let my buy tires in pairs :p

I had my Contour a week and this happened- absolutely ZERO regrets with the Torsen.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hands down I think this is one of the must do modifications, I have had them on both boosted and NA cars it worth the money.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Besides the drag racing benefits, if you live where there's snow an LSD will be a big help. Two wheels pulling makes a HUGE difference in snow. The only problems with a Torsen T2-type differential in slippery conditions are:
1: If one wheel spins too much then both wheels can stop, however this can be remedied by slightly applying the brakes with the gas, providing enough resistance for the diff to send power to both wheels again.
2: You have to babysit the steering more as it will pull from side to side a little bit while going uphill in snow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts