Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the opinion of every1 here. what brand of LSD is the best bang for your buck? i know quaife is the best but im not interested in blowing that much on one. i was looking into phantom grip (aka phantom slip) because its fairly cheap and i have heard some good things about it. i dunno. what brands out there give the most bang for your buck? im looking to get one this week while i have the tranny out of my car but i dont want to spend more than say $400. i could go a little higher if i were talked into it but not much. opinions? my max power goal is 400whp within a year, and i WILL have it within a year and in the next say 4 months ill be looking at around 250 so really high dollar LSD isnt really gonna be needed for about a year at which point im yanking the tranny again anyway to put in a lightweight flywheel and 4 or 6 puck ceramic stg 4 clutch. i can swap in a better one then if i need it and sell the old one. i would be happy with some info on the best clutch and flywheel combo for 3-400whp range as well. a streetable clutch.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would be interested in a lsd under 400 also whenever my stock clutch goes.. i think the labor would be crazy or were you planning on doing it yourself?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yes, but it is a torsen i think. Torsen is slightly cheaper, and just as good as a qualife, if not better. I like mine, i don't know the differences in the biases between qualife and torsen, but u get what you pay for in a dif. do not go cheap, if you break it, like an obx or some cheap piece of crap like that, you are going to spend twice the amount in the long run. labor is extremely expensive.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya no one has broken a torsen yet to my knowledge. but obx's and others, well, people have siad they won't even put one on their landmowers!!

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah yes but what about phantom grip? has any1 tried one of them? that is what im leaning torwards the most because its the cheapest and i have a friend that runs it and loves it

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i don't think anyone here has ever run a phantom grip b4 at least not on a focus.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it looks like im gonna be the first then. i dont want to sound like im blowing every1 off but i got a friend with a 300hp civic and i helped him put in a phantom grip and he loves it. been in for over 3 years and never had a problem. i asked tom jr about it awhile back and he said its more like phantom slip and that i should get one of their quaifes but i honestly think they work good just because ive seen the one put through hell for 3 strait years on that honda and never had a problem. like i said tho this is only going to be in for a year or so if it doesnt work well. if it does a good job ill let every1 know and i will be keeping it

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow i guess no1 really has phantom grip. i was expecting some flaming or something about how had they suck or how much they love their phantom grip. come on some1 has to have an opinion on these that has actually ran one

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you'll use the "search" button and enter "phantom grip" there's a thread by user sporadic that goes thru the complete install of a phantom grip. He has a duratec but the results should be the same.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I wouldnt use the phantom grip... its just shims to make your spider gears bind up quicker.

My first choice would be Quaife, second would be a Torson... only if you couldnt afford the Quaife.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
I have a torsen and love it works great

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well let me know if you see a torsen for less than $500. after i researched a little more into those piles of junk ive decided im not really gonna need lsd until im pushing some real power anyway so ill just wait for the turbo upgrade next year that will be followed up by the clutch and get the torsen or quaife then. and i found out today i got my wires crossed somewhere on the whole shebang with the civic phantom grip i helped with. it wasnt a phantom. it was a torsen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The phantom grip is a good product if your low on money or there's no true lsd for your application. From the MTX 75 view, spend the money on the Torsen or my preference the Quaife. There's also a Kaaz lsd I believe, but I've never been able to find one.

The reason though to replace it & not just upgrade the diff, is because the factory diff is terribly weak. Now if you don't have the $ for a lsd, there are stronger factory diffs out there: the 1st gen Contours(pre-97) & the 07-up Focus. They won't take a lot of abuse, but they definately handle more than any from a 98-05 MTX75.

The difference between the two available lsds is simply this: you break a torsen & buy a new one, the quaife you pull & ship it to get repaired.

·
Registered
76 Posts
how much does a quaife cost and where do you get them? Also the same for the torsen?

Just doing some number crunching and stuff, havnen't been to bed all night, so searching through threads might be hard right now. Sorry I know that the info is most likely already been posted, but my eyes are hurting. Not as young as I used to be, lol!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The torsen you get at almost an focus performance parts site like massive or cfm. The quaife for cheap would be from Terry Haines @ HMS, he can be found at fordcontour.org.

The prices for Torsen run between 540-650 & the quaife runs for 690-950. Just depends where you shop around at.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Im sorry but if you like corners as much as i do your going to throw that quaife out really fast. I hated mine just didnt feel good in turns at all. didnt know what it was doing half the time. in a straight line its good but thats not me. Now the torsen worked out pretty damn good tho and ive had it for a little over 70k miles.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
screw the LSD dude whats up with ur sig? u had a 5.0 HO focus? rest in peace? what did you do?!?!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts