Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post woot.
I just got a 4door '09 Ford Focus SES.
I was initially crushed whenever I found out what I was getting, but now I wouldn't want it any other way.

I was going around a turn out in the country backroads (awesome pavework, but out in the middle of nowhere) and I spun out at 60mph, going around about 3 times minimum before recovering. I surprised myself and recovered, but i noticed a slight bumping in proportion to my speed. I thought I had a bare spot on my tire. checked, nothing wrong, except the whole bloody wheel is tilted.

I'm not sure what it is, but the rim isn't bent. I pulled off the tire and checked the brake drum and spun it. it'd stop at the same point each time and if i forced it i met resistance.

I realize my stupidity, so please don't rag on me about it, causing damage to my first baby is punishment enough. [:eek:]

Please help. Any ideas on what it is and how much it'll cost.
thanx guys

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
if the wheel is tilted you should be able to see what it is.... is the control arm effed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, i wouldn't doubt it, but does that explain the vibrations from the tilt? I noticed that regardless of tire position the wheel is tilted the same way, so it probably is. Just that, how much would it cost to fix the control arm. I think it's more than that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i belive the control arm is around 150 not sure though it could be more or less just the part alone not sure how much a shop will charge you.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
usually the rear control arms don't bend. they are damn beefy. The spindle usually bends. You probably should replace the spindle, wheelbearing, and wheel..

spindle and wheelbearing can be had for under 110 dollars, I know, i just had to buy them.. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would it be possible to install them myself or does it have to be exact? I'm looking at about $260 min. because i have the ever present tilt AND the thump-thump of the bent spindle.
Thank you so much guys, I had no idea. (hence my name, lol)

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
might want to check the strut too.
i just had to replace the strut,spindle,bearing,hub and control arm, all bent from hitting a pothole. also replaced subframe because it was rusted. they installed a refurbished spindle though because they r supposedly back orderd across the US.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sorry, don't have any advice, welcome to FF.com though!

good to hear that you made it through that one..i live on gravel roads and know that going 60, things can get scary REAL fast!

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
everything that i had done, about 20-25% off parts and labor cost me $1500. the only reason why the dealer garage gave me discount was because i spend a lot of money there. so far this year ive spent there $2500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts