Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lowering the seats in the car

2581 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  kaptinkool
I was any way of lowering the seats in the front? Im not the biggest fan of way the focus seat sit. i was wondering maybe zx 3 seats sit lower or maybe svt seats sit lower? if any of them do are the studs the same distance apart so i could just take out my sedan seats and drop in another? I know in mazda 93-97 mazda 626's you could take out the seats and drop in 93-97 mX-6 seats and you sat a lil lower.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Yes, the seats in a Focus do seem to be made for midgets.

Several Mazda Miata owners have lowered their seating position by taking their seat apart and removing ~2" of foam from the bottom. Once reassembled the seat appears stock but when you sit in it you sink lower. I've done it on my Miata and like it so sometime this summer I'll try it on the Focus.

· Registered
451 Posts
my seats have incredible functionality...not sure exactly what you guys are talking about but when I lower my lumbar support after driving at my normal height, it feels like I'm in a rally racer. I'm right at middle shield and I'm 5' 10"...at that low it's more difficult to shift so I can't imagine why you'd want to be lower. Maybe think about aftermarket seats...and I would think sedan and zx3 seats would be very close if not identical. Good luck

· Registered
160 Posts
i am 6'4" and they seem alright to me. are my svt seats different? i do wish there was more arc in the upper back and headrest. it serves no real purpose unless you tilt your head back and stare at the headliner.

· Registered
456 Posts
Focus seats have tons of headroom....I think the query is because some like the look of just barely peering over the steering wheel and out the door. At some point somebody decided this was lowering the car's center of gravity.

I see lots of Hondas and other imports where the seat bracket has been chopped so it sits right near the floor, and the driver is moved significantly lower within the car. I suspect on the Focus you could do the same thing...have someone make some changes to the (or weld you a custom) seat bracket.

· on thin air
4,254 Posts
i am 6'6" as well, and I can vouch for the fact that they arent great for us tall folks.

when i autoX, my helmet adds enough that i have my svt seat bottom lowered as far down as it will go and its still pretty close. I wouldnt mind an extra inch lower at all.

· Registered
121 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but, I didn't ask if why I wanted to do it was justified or even made since. I was just curious if it could be easily done because for my own comfort I would like to sit a little lower due to head room and ability to see traffic lights out of the windsheild.

Thank you though for what information was given and I will see if I can find someone to weld me a new seat bracket or just 'adjust' mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.