Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I need some help. I'm a noobie at this car thing. Not much of a mechanic either. Just got a ford focus and I have some questions. How do you lower your car?... Do you have to buy new springs, wheels... anything like that to lower your car. My car is all stock, so I don't even know if you can lower it from stock? or can you? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm.. lowering springs.. are coilovers better?.. because I can adjust them.. ?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
it depends, items that you see on e-bay and such are sleeved coilovers...basically cheapy's that just sit on an angled perch. of your looking for coilover, look for spending 1,000+

as for the adjustment, they are good, but the more you lower the car, the more that needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You need to replace your springs to adjust height. Different springs will have different heights and spring rates (faster/slower/rougher/smoother) Some may also be progressive (smooth on ends, stiff on the middle, more smoother ride) Also, you'll need to replace your oem front struts and rear shocks. Your stock dampening system (shocks/struts) are made to work at a certain height and rate, if you go outside of that equilibrium ,you will wear your dampening system out faster and it will be much more bouncy. Take my word for it, i run 1.8 Progressive springs on the stock dampening system, i can already tell my struts are going bad and it's really bouncy. It's much more cost effective when you install them to get the whole setup at the same time. Also, if you go more than 1.5in drop, you'll probably want a camber adjustment kit so you don't abnormally wear your tires. You'll also want to pick out HOW low you want to go =0. I like to run a 40 series tire, so 1.8-2.2 inches is perfect. If you run a 45, you'll probably want to stick to 1.5-2.0.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
He states a couple of points.
  • If you lower you car, get aftermarket struts/shocks as well as springs. Stock struts/shocks will just wear out really fast, and you'll have to replace them later on, thus doubling the amount of work you have to do.
  • If you put really low springs on, you will change the camber on your wheels. Camber is the angle the top of the wheel tilts as view from the front. Negative camber, the wheels lean into the car, positive, they lean out. Excessive negative camber can cause premature tire wear. The insides of your tire will wear out faster. They make camber kits to correct the camber after lowering so you don't eat up tires.
  • You want to take into consideration your tires/wheels before you lower your car. If you have tall tires/wheels, you won't be able to lower as much as if you had shorter tires/wheels. If the drop is too low, your tire will be rubbing against the fender when you corner.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
djaggy, i have never heard of any of those brands. popular brands that i HAVE heard if on the focus are:

Eibach
H&R
KW
FK
Dropzone (bleh)
Intrax
Ground Control coil-overs (use eibach springs)

I'm sure there's more, but that should get you started. I highly recommend taking Egz's advice as gospel! you WILL need new shocks and struts, and too low of a drop (anything more than about 1.6" generally) WILL require a camber kit. and definetely plan out your tire size first so you know how much room you have to play with. Moo's advice is sound when it comes to this (although your spring rates will come into play bc some springs will allow more travek causing more rubbing than others)

Mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
save $4000 and do airbags

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
djaggy, i have never heard of any of those brands. popular brands that i HAVE heard if on the focus are:

Eibach
H&R
KW
FK
Dropzone (bleh)
Intrax
Ground Control coil-overs (use eibach springs)

I'm sure there's more, but that should get you started. I highly recommend taking Egz's advice as gospel! you WILL need new shocks and struts, and too low of a drop (anything more than about 1.6" generally) WILL require a camber kit. and definetely plan out your tire size first so you know how much room you have to play with. Moo's advice is sound when it comes to this (although your spring rates will come into play bc some springs will allow more travek causing more rubbing than others)

Mike
I've never heard of them either, but they could be Aussie based parts....

Thanks for the compliment, but I was expanding upon what Moo said, but I agree 100% with everything he said. He just said it first. ;)

I could spend 4000 on a suspension, but 2000 probably would be parts, and the other 2000 would be for having an mega-install party. [:)~]

Airbags... why lay frame when you can handle? I shouldn't knock though, since everyone's car is their own project, and can do what they like.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's probably more around $3500....$1000 for rear bags (maybe a little less), $1000 for front struts, $1000+ for compressor/hoses/air resevoir, and installation cost

of course, then you have to buy $1500 wheels with $1000 spinner upgrades and $500 tires...[:D]

If there's cheaper prices out there...I'd sure like to know. In May, I'm either doing wheels/suspension, or a supercharger. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...[???:)]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just cut the springs its cheap and takes like and hour, hahahahahahahaha just kidding my freind did that to his first car 88 dodge k-car. I have eibach lowering springs and their low they were fun to put on, I learned alot

·
Registered
489 Posts
Egz said:
He states a couple of points.
  • If you lower you car, get aftermarket struts/shocks as well as springs. Stock struts/shocks will just wear out really fast, and you'll have to replace them later on, thus doubling the amount of work you have to do.
i was thinking about lowering mine as well. The only difference is is that i was only going to lower about 1 or 1.25"... would i still need to get struts and shocks?[???:)]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also if you live in a neighborhood or drive your car alot in bad weather, coil overs are MUCH better.

When it snows or rains real bad or just in general so i dont hit crap in the road and bang up my rims, i keep the car riding a little higher. When i get ready for a show, i can lower the car way down.

If you can afford it, coil overs are the only way to go unlessyour gonna keep your car garage kept or you live in cali/florida

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have eibach pro kit springs it dropped 1.5 inches in the rear and 1.4 inches in the front. definitely need to get gas shocks though. it handles so much better around curves and at the start. i noticed an improvement the very same night.[pray]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts