Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive found various lowering spring kits anywhere from fifty to 100 bucks. Would this be a good buy?? IVe heard that you need alot of stuff like struts shocks etc...A friend said that if you get just the lowering springs you will harm your shocks and struts...IS this true or am I in the clear to get the lowering springs and put them on without worry????? ADVICE NEEDED
Are lowering springs all you need or are other parts recommended to lower your car???

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
if you are lowering more than 1.5" you will definately need new dampers (struts and shocks) as the stock ones will wear out very quickly. that said, with any drop that relys on the stock dampers thier life will be dramatically decreased and eventually your car will sag and float like an old taurus.

also, where are you finding drop springs for 50-100? if these are from ebay i would highly suggest against buying them since they will be, quite possibly, dangerous to your car and your life.

·
Registered
545 Posts
just in case you didn't know, do not get a chop shop lowering either. Some places say they will lower your car, by cutting your stock springs or heating them and re-shaping them, that is very bad.

if you dont do things right your are going to hate the ride with the lowered car, even if it looks good. check out the SVT suspension kit, it is $275 for springs, dampers, & sway bars, and i think it fits 01s, someone back me up on that, good luck.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
The svt suspension is awesome, but I wanted to be lower. I suggest doing a search in the Focus Colors Thread in General, and look at cars your color and the drop that you want. Then ask that user what suspension set up he has.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Im on stock dampeners, etc and I have Progress springs [:0]

Hehe, savin' for some KYBs

$50 for springs???? Look for quality tested products - steeda, ford racing, eibach, etc. Then research the item and match them with some good dampeners and shocks...don't skimp out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have money for dampners and shocks IM just lookin for the springs right now.. I know alot of people that have just the springs and no harm was done to their car....

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
we are just giving you our opinions. you can drop without dampers, im considering it right now. we're just letting you know that your stock dampers will not last as long and you shouldnt do a big drop on the stock dampers. thats all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no no no Im lovin the advice because IM learning so much more about my car and what I should do so i think im just gonna buy some kyb gr2 shocks struts are these good??

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Tbone said:
no no no Im lovin the advice because IM learning so much more about my car and what I should do so i think im just gonna buy some kyb gr2 shocks struts are these good??
good for just about anyone else, But they aren't a performance shock/strut.

They will work with lowering springs up to 1.5", no more.
KYB AGX are only like another $150 more, Get those, those are awesome.

If you are a hands on, DIY guy, and you cannot afford the new shocks/struts (dampers), then it's perfectly fine to install lowering springs on stock dampers. Just keep in mind, stock dampers will be useless in 4-12 months because of excessive wear and tear...

Be sure to purchase aftermarket dampers as soon as money permits
(koni, kyb agx, eibach, spax, tokico to name a few)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i can get the kyb g2 shocks/struts and those will be fine??

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Tbone said:
ok so i can get the kyb g2 shocks/struts and those will be fine??
yes, I have a friend with tein s-tech lowering springs and gr-2's on his 240sx, and they are holding up fine, even though they are used...

gr-2's will work well with springs such as tein, progress, apex... But I wouldn't want to use them with H&R springs, as they are a bit stiff, and most likely a harsh ride...

Bottom line: Yes it'll be fine with lowering springs, but the AGX are far better performing dampers. (less of a bouncy ride, better at corners)

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Thats a good question. However, I am in the same boat as a lot of you cheapskate's. Riding on stockers with a 1.8" drop.

I do the work myself, so I am not really wasting any money by taking everything apart twice. But I plan on doing it right once and for all, I am going with KYB AGX, because I can adjust them to how I want to ride at any given moment. I thinks its worth a couple extra dollars.

I also noticed the amount of SVT dampers for sale here, because people upgraded to better dampers. I think they are doing it for a reason. So, just use common sense and save up for a lil longer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
oh_christopher said:
How well do SVT dampers last with a drop of an inch to an inch & a half?
i just got my SVT dampers today via UPS (Thanks Mike), getting Progress springs in the next week or two...so hopefully it works well!! lol

and FYI, Vogtland springs on sale on newedgeperformance.com for 135 if youc hose to go that route and didnt have money for dampers quite yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts