Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know evrybody hates on the ebay springs and says u need to get the eibach or whatever springs. all of the high end ones are ridiculously expensive. im not putting a grand in ot my car to drop it an inch and a half. my question is, what does any1 know or feel about these ones or other similar ones. i dont wanna hear hating and all that, i just wanna hear from somebody with personal experience or from someone who has seen them used somehwere. no hating, just truthful facts from experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DROPZONE-ADJUSTABLE-COILOVERS-SPRINGS-FOCUS-00-04-02-01_W0QQitemZ290274401338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item290274401338&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

i know somebody who had these, the cheapest ones there are, on for 2 years and they still work fine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01-02-03-04-Ford-Focus-Coilover-Coil-Springs-Blue_W0QQitemZ330286702701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item330286702701&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i would not recommend any ebay springs or coilovers(as they like to call them)

for a REAL setup with springs and struts(aka dampers) your looking at around $500

for a REAL coilover setup you looking at $1000+

im not hating on the ebay suspension items, its just theres a lot of stories ive heard that the springs wear out real easy and the ride feels horrible and the car bounces everywhere.

yes they will lower the car, but is it worth the ride, no.

if i were you, i would hold off on the suspension and save a little more money for a good setup.

this would be perfect for you:http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=89
i actually got a 1.6 drop from that setup

·
Registered
936 Posts
If its a drop at a good price your looking for, talk to Mike at Hilbish Ford. He's got several different options available at really good prices. Myself, I am going for the FRPP 1.5" drop here soon.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
my gf's cousin put some ebay "coilovers" on his civic. they cost ~100 and made his car extremely unsafe. sure it was slammed but it handled like dogshit and bounced over every bump/ bottomed out all the time. if you dont want to listen to the "haters" and if that sounds like a good time then by all means go for it.

do you want to cheap out now and have to spend money to fix stuff + the cost of a real suspension set-up or do you want to do it right the first time? I agree with talking to mike, he has some great deals on FRPP kits and its all quality stuff

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anybody have suggestions for good cheap suspension? and im still waiting for someone's actual experience with the ebay ones.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i've had expirence with the dropzone springs. i had them on dodge neon. they promised a drop of 1.5 inches when they finally settled i had a drop of 2.5 inches and the car handled like poo...and it was very very bouncy. like the previous guys stated above save ur money and get either the svt drop or look on the forums and u could prolly graba good deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
eibach

i bought the eibach pro-kit for my focus. It was only 200 dollars shipped from Jegs. They lower the car 1.5 inches front and back. The car still rides nice and handles like amazing. def get these springs. easy to install too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03zx566, did you get the ebach pro-kit offline at Jegs' website? I've searched all over and cant find it. I found it at Sears.com and eBay for about 250 shpped, but 200 sounds better =) that's definitely not a bad price at all.

any other suggestions anyone?

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
i know a guy who actually bought these "coilovers" and for a focus, all he says is they made the car BOUNCY lol and that his ass hurts, they dropped the car like 3" its pretty low, he doesnt race tho, ive never been in his car

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, for name brand cheap suspension kits ive found these:

H&R Sport Springs ($209)
Skunk2 Springs ($182)
Eibach Springs Pro-Kit ($210)

anybody else know of any cheap but still nice suspension? im lookin for a drop of 1.5 or so

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
you cant just put springs on a stock strut. you HAVE to my of the aftermarket dampers or struts. if not you will blow the stock strut and have a horrible ride. if you want eibachs, you have to have the eibach pro dampers.

dont try settling on suspension right away, try doing some reasearch on your own so you can get kinda an idea what needs to be done.

and suspension is not cheap lol

your looking about $500 at average for struts/dampers and springs you might get away with $400.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Theres a reason suspension parts arent cheap its a kind of important part of the car. Its kind of like going to the car dealer saying im gonna buy a cheap Ferrari not gonna happen. Do like me and save your money for the right stuff. As nice as it would be for me to have my car set up idealy now i wont be done for 3 or more years.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im not asking for cheap. i just wanna know the "cheapest" quality suspension. n is there any package deals that comes with springs and struts/dampers altogether?

n btw deadlydean, thanks for the help =)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought those "coilovers" you have pictured 2nd, the blue ones. When they arrived, i laughed and saved up for the eibach sportlines. I wouldnt put those on a pedal bike, let alone my daily driver that I have friends in everyday. They feel like they could be snapped by pulling on them. If you want to save the money it costs to buy them, I'll send you one so you can see for yourself. I bought them thinking I may be able to get away with lowering my car for cheap but I'd rather not cheap out when it comes to suspension. PM me if you want me to send you one

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had my Eibach Pro's now for three weeks and I'm very happy.

When you drive the car drive normally it drives like stock, but when you snag the wheel is respondes well. Speed bumps and misc road bumps are still managed close to stock.

If I could do it again my only regret would be the 18inch wheels. There is just not enough side wall to dampen the road. I would recomend 17's.

That's my experiance I'm an older guy and drive about 25,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
936 Posts
im not asking for cheap. i just wanna know the "cheapest" quality suspension. n is there any package deals that comes with springs and struts/dampers altogether?

n btw deadlydean, thanks for the help =)
Mike at Hilbish Ford has several kits with pretty much everything. Check out the Hilbish forum.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright, i asked mike at hilbish. he replied with this:

"The kit i would say would be best would be the full Ford Racing kit that i assemble for you, meaning that the front struts will already be together when you get them, just install and go have it aligned. That would drop it 1.5", ride decent, and handle alot better. That kit is $360. All new parts so you dont reuse anything."

that sounds like a pretty good deal going by what you guys have said. any opinions?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Its a great set-up, mikes a great guy and its a great price. I have the same kit (06+ version though) and it was excellent all around until recently when I got bitten by the bug to go even lower

do it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts