Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm putting some SVT springs on my car and I'm wondering if the spring compressor I got will work. It looks like the one in the picture but I only have one side:

My question is, I only have one spring compressor and from what I can see from the instructions it is supposed to be on the inside of spring. I know there are two types of compressors and I think the type I have is just for the springs alone...like what is on the back of the car and not the front. I got the front strut and spring off...and then just put it back on...lol. Please let me know any guidance you have!

Here is my baby!

·
Registered
157 Posts
yup that's the compressor you want and you need both so the spring compresses evenly....i just did mine a couple of months ago and it works great.....and you need the other one for the back as well.i tired to undo the control arm bolt for the back ones and it busted and well long story,lots of b/s and swearing so just use the compressor on the back to be safe....IMO....GL

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think right now I have the compressor for the back right now and need the ones for the front. I rented it from autozone so I imagine they would have given both if I had the right one for the front. Sorry about your control arm...that sucks! So what is the actual suspension tearms for what I need for the front and the back. The fronts are coil on right?

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks oh well...live and learn..lol....front tool is called a spring compressor for struts and the backs are just coil spring compressor(it'll have pivioting clamps on either end on a threaded rod and will go up the middle of the coil)....i think that is it....GL

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I found the exact product I have...

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K, that's what I thought! I've added some rep, thanks for the help.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So...if I use the spring compressor for the rear will I still have to disconnect the sway bars???

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
yes you should disconnect the sways.. it's easier.. and it's simple anyway. And i have an exact same type compressor and it did not work for mine... i had to cut the lca's out bud... but if you can get it.. then that's gonna save you much headache.

Reactions: FociZX4ST

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lca's????

·
Registered
157 Posts
"lower control arm's" i think is what nov273 was refering to...and yes without the sway is easier....not sure what i did different but that compressor worked for me....

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you use it on the outside or on the inside? I've heard there are issues getting it in...rep point added.

·
Registered
157 Posts
inside....mine wasn't a"powerbulit" compressor but it all looks the same, i had to work at it abit bit but it will work....

·
Registered
889 Posts
tried couple of different compressors and non worked for the back, for the front pretty much every outside compressor will work, so i went to the shop and what they did is took the wheel off, disconnected the rear damper and just pryed the whole thing down with a flat bar and the spring just came out without any problems, no compression or anything...

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^Yes, it can be done without a compressor, but from experience...it's much easier with a compressor.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
it's actually much easier if you don't use the compressor... well if you CAN remove the lca bolt that is... once you remove tha bolt.. the control arm just drops down and the spring pops out... tada... the compressor takes time.. if it even works for ya.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, there is a write up with that process in it. The problem is if you lca doesn't drop after you get the bolt off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts