Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So this is more for informational purposes now, but, if my bonus is big enough, i am considering lowering my car. How do you do it. I searched this weekend for a coilover kit for an 2008-11 focus and didn't find any. Lowering springs i found a few, but that kind of scares me based on my driveway into my place, its kind of steep, and my parents is 10x worse for when i visit there. Just wondering what others have done to lower theirs?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lets see your lowered 08+

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274909&share_tid=274909&share_fid=11389&share_type=t it all depends what ride quality you want and how low you want to be, coilovers are going to be stiffer than springs and provide a range of ride heights, however they will be more money for a good set. That link above is a thread deducted to the mk2 and lowering it. You can use coilovers from the mk1 focus but need a kit from massive that allows it to work.

There are many kits for the mk2, for springs you have the FRPP kit which is a tad lower, eibach springs, and h&r springs. Springs are a tad lower not as stiff.

Coilovers you have MANY brands, h&r is a popular one among the focus community from what I've seen I run them myself, they are stiff but offer a range of heights, ksport, kw, BC Racing, Raceland, and a few other brands make coils for the car.

As far as driving low it's not that hard if you stay above stance nation ultra low. My car is pretty low and I've never had a issue, you just need to take turns at a angle, in the terrible bumpy city im in I've never had one issue with inclines, bumps, etc. Here's a pic for example of my car
im about half way down give or take on my coilovers, low but very functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
thank you guys for starting me out. This forum is awesome and has lots of great people!
Yup and it all depends on what you want to do with the car. Looks? track? or just something to lower it some and add a bit of handling. Budget has a decent roll to play as well. Search around you will find something that fits your needs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My overall is just for looks. My last car was my racecar. After the accident, i dont want to do engine work again, atleast not until i have moved out of the country, and at that point, this car isn't going with, so it won't matter.

Looks and handling would be great, but i dont know if my struts/shocks have ever been replaced on the car and i dont know if they would hold up to getting just lowering springs (154k miles on the car.) I guess i will have to wait until the next time its in and ask the guys who did the work on the last one their thoughts. It looks like if i do it would be springs based on price constraints. we will see. I will find out in a month or 2 what the number is and if i can.

This car will be doing a road trip to FL this summer.

Again, thanks for your guys' help!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Springs if you are on a budget. But trust me you will want to go lower. You can find a nice set up (coil overs) used or new if you shop around. If not on a budget go air then you won't have to worry about any drive way haha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My overall is just for looks. My last car was my racecar. After the accident, i dont want to do engine work again, atleast not until i have moved out of the country, and at that point, this car isn't going with, so it won't matter.

Looks and handling would be great, but i dont know if my struts/shocks have ever been replaced on the car and i dont know if they would hold up to getting just lowering springs (154k miles on the car.) I guess i will have to wait until the next time its in and ask the guys who did the work on the last one their thoughts. It looks like if i do it would be springs based on price constraints. we will see. I will find out in a month or 2 what the number is and if i can.

This car will be doing a road trip to FL this summer.

Again, thanks for your guys' help!

No problem! Glad to help! But I agree with Andy, springs will not make you happy, and in the long run I think will be the same as coilovers, checkout fswerks.com they have h&r products. Eibach springs can be bought on tire rack, drop the car a bit and are I believe $200. Now I say coilovers because if you get springs you may need new struts, those can run a couple hundred bucks and in the end you're at a mid range coilover price.

Bags are nice but can be pricey, however if you have the money go for it. Raceland is OK I have them on my miata and they aren't bad however I don't daily drive that car. I would not recommend putting them on your daily driver, if want a nice mid range look for used coilovers or even ksport they aren't bad at all. If you're worried about stiffness with coilovers try and find a set with dampening. There's a brand called ST Suspension that is VERY good they are made by KW. The focus is very high from the factory so you being on coilovers you will be low but if you don't slam it you are still at some cars stock ride height.

Also Andy I just saw we are both from Cleveland! Too funny!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats the best way to check if the shocks/struts have been replaced recently? I have only had the car about a month and know the guy put new tires and brakes on it before i bought (to make me feel safe as i am just getting driving again.)

i am on an extremely limited budget. lol.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
whats the best way to check if the shocks/struts have been replaced recently? I have only had the car about a month and know the guy put new tires and brakes on it before i bought (to make me feel safe as i am just getting driving again.)
Any records from said guy? If you can get back in contact with him.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
General question about install. I know a novice can't do this stuff, and I wouldn't attempt as I dont own a garage, so, i wouldn't attempt myself.

So the question. Having them professionally installed (say just springs, but i assume doing coilovers would cost similarly?) what would i be looking at for install prices?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You're probably looking at $300+ for someone to install them for you.

It's not difficult to do on your own and you don't need a garage.

Step one: Lift the front of the car
Step two: remove the wheel
Step three: 1 bolt holds the end link to the strut, remove that
Step four: remove 1 bolt at the bottom of the strut
Step five: remove 3 bolts at the top of the strut
Step six: remove the strut assembly
Step seven: install the new strut assembly with the same steps.

Rear is essentially the same, but the spring is separate from the strut so there's an extra step to remove the spring on its own.

Boom. Done. Get your Hayne's manual to find the torque specs, then head over to your local tire shop to check the alignment.

However, my personal opinion is that if you are on a limited budget, why not just wait until you are not on a limited budget to do such a major modification? If you've got the itch, just do something else. New tires? New wheels? Cold air intake? lots of stuff you can do that won't require a professional to keep your car for a day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
my limited budget is until i leave the country, so after that there is no purpose of spending it. I was thinking if i could get it done cheap enough, i would just do it. they ride so dam high its weird.

If you don't mind me asking.. What is your budget? If I was on a budget I would go springs, eibach sportline springs, and stock struts. The amount of miles you'll put on the car before you leave is probably not going to hurt the suspension, eibach springs are $200ish and drop the car I believe close to 2 inches. The job of doing it isn't hard, I installed my coilovers myself but you need to have the tools, power tools save time however if you get a socket set, ratchet and a breaker bar you can do the job. The focus suspension in my opinion is very easy. I swapped my suspension to stock for the winter, using a impact I had my coilovers out in about 30 mins and stock suspension back in about a hour later. It's not hard it's just a matter of having the proper tools and knowing what you're looking at.

Now if you're going springs and have tools and a weekend to kill by all means go at it. However you'll need patience. The first time I installed my coilovers it took me a whole Saturday figuring out nut sizes how everything fits. Springs you can rent a spring compressor from autozone, you get the money back when you return it and do one at a time so you can look at the other side of needed. Pop the top hat off, pull the spring, drop the new spring in and put the hat on. But maybe that's not your thing, if you do professionals I agree with the post above probably a couple hundred bucks, do you have any friends who do their own work? If you are on a budget though I would strongly recommend staying away from coilovers. A cheap set of coilovers aka eBay, will blow out and you would have wasted money. If you want all new look into the FRPP kit. It's springs, shocks, everything new. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3000-zx3a?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-ford-performance-parts&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMRjzZtFmTC_btZBsWXd806E2cBj8K9ip75s3BVxMPDxoCCHTw_wcB this and the massive omni kit ($50 I believe) and you'll have a nice new setup. All those parts for ford racing parts so it's good quality.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys! Now I wait for the bonus and see how everything plays out. I am hoping that I can atleast do springs.

People have asked me why even bother if you are planning to leave? .. Well I would rather drive something that I enjoy driving and is more my personality than something everyone has. Stand out and be yourself. That's what i am trying to do with my limited budget for this car. When i leave, my nephew will most likely be buying the car as his first. My sister was going to buy him my 330 HP golf, but that is gone, so on to this one. lol.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts

i am on an extremely limited budget. lol.
If thats the case, put your limited monies else where or save= don't cheap out on suspension.......Have you read the stickies on the very limited suspension options for the '06+ cars? Get yourself a pr of '05 only spindles for they will massively open up your suspension options. That'll allow you to use any more common earlier '00-'05 suspension kit.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
lol it sounds like you're just bored. Find something else to spend your money on rather than ruining a car before your nephew gets hold of it. I'm sure he'll have plenty of ideas of his own..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol it sounds like you're just bored. Find something else to spend your money on rather than ruining a car before your nephew gets hold of it. I'm sure he'll have plenty of ideas of his own..
Soo soo true.. I am bored. I lost interest in all of my hobbies I used to do :/ All changes i am doing have been run by my nephew, the only thing he doesn't agree with he can easily fix with a razor blade lol. He mentioned lowering it, which is why I was generally looking into it. If doing it "in-expensively" isn't a smart way to go, then I should keep the car safe for him. Maybe I will consider tinting it for him.. I've done that myself before and it lasted 5 years with no bubbling or anything, so that could be a route to spend money elsewhere to help him have the car closer to what he would want/or to do.

You guys are all awesome! I appreciate people's points of view

1 - 20 of 23 Posts