Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I want to lower my car but I'm kinda short on cash. I want to go with the Ebachi (or w.e their called). In order just to lower it do I have to buy the full kit or just the lowering springs? ATM I'm not to worried about handling because it's just a daily driver. I'm just trying to find the cheapest way because I got my hours for work cut tremendously because of school. (Only 17) Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can buy lowering springs, some one in the for sale section is selling tein springs for like 120 or something. It is recommended tho if you are dropping over 1.5 inches to get dampers too. But if under that you should be fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I heard the Ebachi kit did a 1.5", should I get dampers too? I don't want my tires to look like some of the ricers where their all crooked or w/e. Is that what'll happen?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
You want to get matching dampers whenever you lower the car. The reason being is the handling will be very bad if you don't. The car will be bouncy and will handle crappy. The stock dampers will wear out very quickly as well with the lower springs as they are not made for that short/stiff of a spring. Get some dampers matched to the springs and you will thank yourself in the long run.

Look at the Eibach pro kit. Lowers it 1.5" and comes with matching dampers. Around 500 bucks

Or the SVT suspension kit. Lowers the car .75" and comes with matching dampers plus a 21mm rear swaybar for around 300 bucks.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I have 1.5" drop, no need for dampers. Looks just fine, just a little lower, and since You don't care about handling, I won't tell You about how much better steering response and cornering is...

::EDIT:: I forgot to mention that I did shocks/struts/springs all at the same time, jetrinka is right, don't just do springs, You'll regret it.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
You will need an alignment once you drop the car too.
I didn't get an alignment, should i? I can let loose of the wheel without any drift for a good long time, longer than is comfortable for Me to have no hands on the wheel... not trying to second guess You, is this really neccessary if I still handle well?

·
Registered
301 Posts
you will get a small amount of negative camber (crooked rims) with a 1.5" drop, nothing major. you will be bouncing around like some of the ricers if you don't get dampers. your stockers are not stiff enough for the drop. save up a bit and get a complete kit. you can get the Eibach pro-kit for under $500 at C-F-M

·
Registered
301 Posts
I didn't get an alignment, should i? I can let loose of the wheel without any drift for a good long time, longer than is comfortable for Me to have no hands on the wheel... not trying to second guess You, is this really neccessary if I still handle well?
an alignment is recommended for any kind of suspension changes. it may still follow a straight line, but you will kill your tires alot faster.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
^^^that might be good, I have brand new tires which have been discontinued, and the warranty replacement is a considerably better tire. Good to know, though. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah true me i went through 2 sets, lol and was like wtf, i dropped the car and never align them and the tires went to crap because of it.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Okay so I want to lower my car but I'm kinda short on cash. I want to go with the Ebachi (or w.e their called). In order just to lower it do I have to buy the full kit or just the lowering springs? ATM I'm not to worried about handling because it's just a daily driver. I'm just trying to find the cheapest way because I got my hours for work cut tremendously because of school. (Only 17) Thanks for any advice
Shorter springs are also stiffer springs. This is needed due to the corresponding loss in suspension travel. The stock shock is designed for a longer softer spring. It will not effectively dampen the stiffer spring (will wear out the shock quickly) or will bottom out damaging its internals terminally. Always make sure the shock you get is designed to handle shorter and stiffer springs. The best way to do this is to buy a kit from a manufacturer like Eibach, H&R, Koni, or Ford racing/SVT as examples.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Geez, Noob4life, starting this thread it's like you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing when I saw someone locally selling some Eibach springs. Thought maybe if I could get them for around $150, that would work out budgetwise.

I could handle the cost of getting an alignment, but dampers aren't in my budget. Would love to lower the car, just not up for dumping $500 into this.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Geez, Noob4life, starting this thread it's like you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing when I saw someone locally selling some Eibach springs. Thought maybe if I could get them for around $150, that would work out budgetwise.

I could handle the cost of getting an alignment, but dampers aren't in my budget. Would love to lower the car, just not up for dumping $500 into this.
If looks aren't your main objective and greatly improved handling is, consider and SVT kit for less than 300.00. A lot of bang for the buck!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay thanks guys, I guess I'll have to wait until summer when my real checks can start coming. Until then I'll have to find some cheaper mods to do. Thanks all

·
Registered
78 Posts
If looks aren't your main objective and greatly improved handling is, consider and SVT kit for less than 300.00. A lot of bang for the buck!!!
Sorry for a slight jack of your thread, Noob, but this SVT kit appears intriguing.

Actually, looks are the main objective for me, but handling would be an excellent enticement. How much lowering does the SVT kit provide? What does the kit consist of?

·
Registered
301 Posts
^^^ not much, like .5 - .75" . but it includes springs, dampers, and sway bar. great deal! i would call Mike at Hilbish. he can get you a great price!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts