Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
yes, you must use a spring compressor, unless you aren't particularly attached to any of your body parts. that spring is under way too much load to take of the plate without the compressor.

you should be able to rent this tool from just about any parts store.

Mike

·
Registered
793 Posts
get it from autozone, give a deposit and when u return the tool, u get the money back, its the macpherson strut/spring compressor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be very careful. The spring/strut compressor is only as good as how you seat it on your springs. To test how well you have it seated, turn the unit a few degrees to the right and left (while still within the strut, etc.) to make sure it won't release.

·
Registered
892 Posts
On the rear you will need to put the car on jack stands and support the lower spring saddle with a floorjack.

On the front if you are reuseing your stock dampners it might be best to have a shop swap out the dampners on the springs. Probley cost $20 but well worth it. When I did mine I had air tools and a big bench vice. Even with the spring secure in the vice and the spring compressers I didnt feel completely safe.

There are several good how-to's on the net for this mod.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i never used a spring compressor on any of my hondas....of course i havent got around to lowering my focus yet and they're totally different cars so i guess we'll see.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
01FocusZX3 said:
i never used a spring compressor on any of my hondas....of course i havent got around to lowering my focus yet and they're totally different cars so i guess we'll see.
yeah, but does your honda have struts? i thought they didn't. in THAT case, you can get away with not using one. for a strut setup, it is a must.

Mike

·
Banned
795 Posts
U don't need any compressors, just swap the springs and put uprated bump stoppers on. That is, if ur gonna go as low as 50mm like I have, otherwise, any lower u will need uprated shocks etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts