Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best route to go about this? Would ebay springs be fine, or are they too cheap?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Don't use ebay springs unless your getting used quality ones that are worn in but not worn out. Also don't use stock struts with lowered springs, get struts intend for the height you ware lowering to, otherwise your struts will break 1-200 miles down the rode because there will be to much stress on them (they are designed to work at a certain height, lower will raise the PSI inside of them and can cause them to rupture.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Best route is a matched setup, with shocks/struts as well as springs. Lower/stiffer springs work best with shocks of the same type - need to be stiffer as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any links for a kit around 200$-300$ or a stickeyed thread where i can learn some more about modifying suspension?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There's a lot of info. in this section, though price/availability is dated in older posts:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218336

$300 is right for the SVT kit, but those don't drop as much as you want & are getting hard to find.

Eibach would be the drop you're interested in but I don't know current pricing, probably the cheapest kit to do the job.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Vogtland springs - you'll get the 1.5 drop and they work with stock dampers; I have two cars on Vogtlands with stock dampers, 325es for 3 years plus, and the Focus, with more than a year on stock dampers (maybe 20k miles), and my dampers are fine. My daughter drives the 325 daily since I got the Focus, so it hasn't seen a lack of use.

I've also had H&Rs, and since I did some other mods to get my car lower, the dampers blew out quickly; not sure if they'd do better at the "correct" ride height, but, I've got a lot of miles on Vogtlands on stock dampers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've got eibach pro line on stock dampers for over 50k miles they are fine. I'm sure aftermarket dampers would make a difference but I have had 0 problems besides my rear sway bar brackets snapping off due to the steeda one being super thick. Welded them now has been good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might go with the eibach kit, my focus is my dialy and has high mileage, it'll be worth the extra dollar to replace the suspension I think; it's all factory atm.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got eibach pro line on
Unless I have missed something, it's either pro-kit or sport-line (and someone fill me in...).

Prokits I think only drop an inch or less, and those would be fine forever on stock dampers.

Sportlines I'm pretty sure are 1.5" lower or a bit more, and I don't have any personal experience with those, but, typically much more than 1.5" drop will give you issues with dampers (and is my experience on other spring set ups).

Seems like more than a few guys run H&Rs with Konis (Koni's and Bilsteins, of various models, are made for agressive/stiff lowering springs...). But, cost goes up for the really good dampers, too.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
+1 for vogtland. Driven cars w/ them too. Comfortable ride for DD, and is non linear so when you want the car to be stiff it will. My set just came in tonight, holla!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Unless I have missed something, it's either pro-kit or sport-line (and someone fill me in...).

Prokits I think only drop an inch or less, and those would be fine forever on stock dampers.

Sportlines I'm pretty sure are 1.5" lower or a bit more, and I don't have any personal experience with those, but, typically much more than 1.5" drop will give you issues with dampers (and is my experience on other spring set ups).
>>>> Yea, your right^^^ That's why I run dampers setup for the springs.
Seems like more than a few guys run H&Rs with Konis (Koni's and Bilsteins, of various models, are made for agressive/stiff lowering springs...). But, cost goes up for the really good dampers, too.
H&R race springs w/ Koni yellow's is the hot setup for track style setups or for ppl looking for a stiffer ride. For a DD, I run & like the Eibach sportline system= 2'' drop that works great for a street driven foci. I also like the H&R sport cup kit= 2.6'' drop, but for me that's to low= running the 6'' diameter stealth muffler, so I'd scrape the muffler, even at a 45* angle at some driveways.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Or you could consider BC coilovers. I was looking at the eibach sportlines but when you factor in the cost of yellow koni's or something comparable you're now at the cost of a set of coil overs.
I'm at 25k miles right now and think I could get away with running the sportlines for 25k more miles to split the cost up over time but I don't think the quality would be as good.
Another good point someone brought up with after market shocks and lowering springs is that if one goes bad you can order an individual replacement versus having to send out a coilover to have it rebuilt (not an option with DD).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Another good point someone brought up with after market shocks and lowering springs is that if one goes bad you can order an individual replacement versus having to send out a coilover to have it rebuilt (not an option with DD).[/QUOTE]

This^^^^^^^ As I said it a few times before. Try buying a replacement coilover. If you need to buy say a rf coilover, can you? No you'll need to buy the whole kit to get one. If I had coilovers a few yrs ago when I let my youngest daughter drive the focus in the winter & missed the driveway at a store & hit a curb, I would've had to buy the whole coilover kit to replace a rf, wheres all I had to do is order a rf strut, yea I had to wait a week for it, but they got it out to me. Kudos to tirerack for helping me. Working a in a b/s, the insurance companys end up some times paying a lot out for stuff like this where you can't get replacement parts & have to buy the whole thing & this is one item you can't buy separtely. Let alone trying to buy just the front coilovers w/o the rear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think im going with raceland coilovers. There about 110 a coil which is really cheap. They also have a nice warranty.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I think im going with raceland coilovers. There about 110 a coil which is really cheap. They also have a nice warranty.
Ok, have fun getting a replacement coilover is you ever have issues. The strut, is the weakest part (on the front) & is going to bent or get tweaked out at where it fits in the spindle. I've seen many focus's that have damaged suspensions & take out the struts & then if the hit is hard enough it'll take out a lca.

·
Registered
459 Posts
^^^ Heh. This. My son has replaced both sides, God bless him. Lca's and struts do bend. Unless you want the bling of COs (and I do, and I would like to corner weight too...), I can't say I disagree with FTC's wisdom.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I never understood why cheap coilovers would be compared to quality springs/struts.

It's possible to spend more on good shocks/struts paired with springs than on cheap coilovers, and IMHO you'd be ahead by doing so for most purposes.

The only advantage to cheap coilovers I see is for getting an extreme drop when ride/handling is a secondary consideration.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I would get more bang for my buck since handling is the reason I want the drop. Its just easier to spend 400$ on coilovers then springs and shocks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts