Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the lower stress bar from FS, but before starting what I thought would be a bolt on project, I am finding that the ($60?) LCA bolts "should" be replaced, but even the FS website hints that it may be acceptable to re-use the original bolts - does anyone know the actual consequences of this or the risks versus gains? And also, does this affect the front alignment? Yet another hidden cost if this is also necessary - is it?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i didnt change my bolts and my car is fine.

and i dont believe anyone has totally found out yet if by removing the bolts that it'll affect alingement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honhon - what did you torque the old bolts to, or did you? And how! is the front stress bar for response?

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I dont think you have to torque the bolts I never have. and for responce w/ the stress bar...and please this is just my opinion, but I think it is for more asthetics than performance. I didn't find that it did much, but I do notice the perfomance advance on the back one.. now that helped out big time. But as for those bolts you don't need to torque them just tighten them down good and tight.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I believe he is talking about the lower control arm tie bar and not the strut bar. lol. The lower bar has torque to yeild bolts. Basically they "should" be replaced when taken out because of the nature of the bolt. It has been tightened down at the factory to the limits of what the bolt can handle. Some "torque to yeild" bolts actually stretch. Basically a one time use technically but I have heard you can reuse these ok. I hope what I said makes sense. It does in my head but its also late and I am tired.... lol

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
As far as what this torque is and what the procedure is for it, just call a dealer. They should be able to provide this info.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jetrinka, thanks - yes, if the bolts "stretch", that the description on the focussport website makes a little more sense -
"New: 89ft lbs + 90 degrees Stock: 120ft lbs"
if I had the "new" bolts ($60) i would torque them to 89 ft lbs, but i was re-using the "stock" (original?) bolts I would need to torque them to 120 ft lbs -

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i just tightened them down, i know its not the best way to do things, but if plans maybe go my way, ill be tearing my car apart in a year or so down to the unibody... so alot of bolts will be replaced anyways.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
89 ft. lb. + 90 degrees means torque to 89, then an extra 90 degrees - this is a way to achieve a more accurate "stretch" or preload on the bolts. the initial spec takes out all the free play, looseness etc. then the 90 degrees gives an exact tension... removes issues of variable friction resulting in variable tension as a final result. 120 ft. lb. is prob. the approximate resultant torque from this process.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got the bolts from the dealer - part number W706861-S439. They are about $5 apiece, but they only come in a pack of four!
Has anyone installed this bar? I was wondering if there are any other parts I should upgrade, like bushings, or swap out while I am doing this?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Nothing really comes off the car during the install except those two bolts. So I don't see you upgrading anything else while your in there unless you want to take some more things apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts