Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys long time for me, been busy at work. Well all my local gas stations now serve 10% methanol mix gas. I'm noticing lower gas millage I used to easily get 34 MPG and now get 30-31. My Focus has 9500 miles. Could it be the warmer temps or the gas?

·
Registered
672 Posts
90/10 fuel has about 3% less energy than pure gasoline. I get 30 mpg most of the time so it might be costing me 1 mpg at best. Aditionally, fuel sold in states is generally uniform throughout the state. Possibly you've been using mixed fuel all along and don't know it, and the drop in mpg is due to something else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A lot of states switch between winter and summer blend gasoline for environmental purposes. The summer blends tend to rob your car of fuel efficiency, but they are supposed to put out less emissions. So... you either waste more fuel trying to make the air "cleaner" or you get an extra mpg or two and kill the ozone layer a little faster.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
its becuse the engine isnt tuned to run an ethanol blend. it is tuned for striaght 87 octane wine cooler. anything more and your jsut wasting money (note svt's need premium, or so my swapped in cluster says,lol.)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
only way to do it is to dyno tune it on that specific type of fuel. then you will see the biggest gains from it. most dyno tuners have you run premium becuase it helps wit hantiknock 9highter octane and a highter ethanol content) and yes its possible to dyno tune a focus for e85. but tehre isnt enoguh of that type of fuel station in the country to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not surprising...

Foci can run an ethanol mix up to 15% safely however your savings at the pump won't be reflected in driving. Ethanol has less energy per gallon, so the 10% mix will net you a loss of 10% or your mileage. Do the math and it's cheaper to put non-ethanol fuel into your car.

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
^^ Try it.

I've said this a dozen times: There ARE differences between branded fuels, and even the same brand at different stations. Gas stations are required to check and replace their tanks, but at times when money is so tight- you're likely to find places that are long overdue for a tank change. I experimented with all the local branded fuels, and found a 3 mpg difference. Experiment with 2 tanks for each fuel, and don't bother with a few pennies difference in price. 3 mpg is worth much more than a penny per gallon. Also keep in mind that places that are not associated with one brand or the other might be purchasing fuel from different suppliers depending on price. My local Kroger, for example, gives me great fuel economy sometimes, and other times it's one of the worst.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what about mid grade gas? i herd this guy used it and got better mpg. i dont know if i should trust him
Don't do it. There is no point. Some engines have higher compression ratios, so they need gas that won't ignite until it hits a higher compression level in the piston. The higher the octane, the more it takes for the engine to ignite. If you put a weaker gas into a higher compression engine, it will ignite too early, causing knocking or pinging. That is the only reason you need to buy higher octane gas. Here is a good article about it.

In short, our engines, unless you have modifications, aren't high compression engines, so there is no need to run premium. Save your money.

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/news/main/5101/event=view

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
yea, here in il i know that its a 10/90 mix

when i drove up to wisconsin a few times, their is a straight no ethanol added blend of fuel

i got better mpg's with the straight fuel(no ethanol added)

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g illinois

hell, gas is 4.07 a gallon, at least let us choose if we want the ethanol or not

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Don't do it. There is no point. Some engines have higher compression ratios, so they need gas that won't ignite until it hits a higher compression level in the piston. The higher the octane, the more it takes for the engine to ignite. If you put a weaker gas into a higher compression engine, it will ignite too early, causing knocking or pinging. That is the only reason you need to buy higher octane gas. Here is a good article about it.

In short, our engines, unless you have modifications, aren't high compression engines, so there is no need to run premium. Save your money.

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/news/main/5101/event=view
i thought that was what would happen because he said his car started to ping and he said that it was from the regular unleaded. so i guess i thought right. thankis HOlla kyle since thats my real name lol[cheers]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah ive def noticed a decrease in my MPG since the added ethanol into the fuel. They say that adding the ethanol into the fuel will save us at the pumps, ha, fuel may be a lil cheaper with that shit in it, but im running to the pump a hell of a lot more times now with that in it. We aint saving nothing, bastards.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I personally hate Ethanol. Recently all the gas stations here in my area changed to the 90/10 and it sucks especially since it was mainly straight 87 here in Houston since there are a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] load of oil refineries here. I would like to find a random straight 87 station and I would be loyal to death. I hate the lack of power you get off the blend as well. Simply getting on the highway and you already know its lacking IMO just sayin'.

·
FocusRush
1,774 Posts
I remember when Virgina switched to 90/10. I def. noticed a difference in MPG. When I would make trips between Virginia Beach and Kentucky, I could make it from Virginia Beach to Charlston West Virginia on a tank, then Have to fill up again. On the way back with good 'ol Kentucky Gas which is all gas no eth. I could make it all of the way home on a tank!

ETHANOL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Not surprising...

Foci can run an ethanol mix up to 15% safely however your savings at the pump won't be reflected in driving. Ethanol has less energy per gallon, so the 10% mix will net you a loss of 10% or your mileage. Do the math and it's cheaper to put non-ethanol fuel into your car.
"do the math" if ethanol has 10% less power, and is only 10% of the total fuel content, the effesct is 1%, not 10%. It's cheaper because you're paying just as much for the ethanol content as for real gasoline content. Addint ethanol was never based on cost, but on importing less petroleum.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts