Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
for just the springs?...for the install?...think i paid 164.99 back in the day through ultra performance

·
Registered
41 Posts
anybody from wisconsin wanna help a poor kid install his springs??????? im knew, i cheeped it out on my last car it was already pimped out. now doing it myself is wierd. All i know is how to raise huge 4x4's

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
depending on the shop...could be 100...could be over 200...no need for an alignment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't worry about it, just go to your local auto parts store and rent a spring compressor, you can buy them or if you want I know that Murrays ,Auto Zone rents tools like that. Just ask for a quick show and tell, and you will be fine. Remember to get a socket wrench and a few sockets that vary in size from 10mm to 18mm. And always start from the back of the car. There are less parts back there so you can get a better idea of what to do.

·
Registered
489 Posts
are you saying that i can lower my focus simply by compressing the springs?
(i'm kinda new to suspension). What other equipment would i need?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
akademikz said:
anybody from wisconsin wanna help a poor kid install his springs??????? im knew, i cheeped it out on my last car it was already pimped out. now doing it myself is wierd. All i know is how to raise huge 4x4's
if you can install lift kits, doing the suspension work on the focus should be child's play. it's REALLY not that hard. just make sure you get the spring compressor. aside from that, all you'll need are some metric socket wrenches, some metric wrenches, and some allen wrneches.

knightriderzx3, you need the spring compressor in order to safely remove the old spring from the strut. the compressor alone does NOT lower the car. for that, you need new springs. and, as always, i HIGHLY recommend replcaing all the dampeners (shocks and struts) at the same time. you'll just end up replacing them about 10K later.

Mike

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
if you can install lift kits, doing the suspension work on the focus should be child's play. it's REALLY not that hard. just make sure you get the spring compressor. aside from that, all you'll need are some metric socket wrenches, some metric wrenches, and some allen wrneches.

knightriderzx3, you need the spring compressor in order to safely remove the old spring from the strut. the compressor alone does NOT lower the car. for that, you need new springs. and, as always, i HIGHLY recommend replcaing all the dampeners (shocks and struts) at the same time. you'll just end up replacing them about 10K later.

Mike
not to be rude or anything.... this is coming from someone who couldnt install a throttle body right? i wouldnt recommand telling anybody who doesnt know what they are doing to try it them selfs. and no.. its not really childs play..

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK, technically what i couldn't install was the TPS, not the TB. and as fas as it being child's play, that comment was based on what i figured his level of competency is. if he can lift a truck, he can lower a car. that's all i'm saying. and i would recommend this job as a DIY bc I (the apparent idiot) COULD install the suspension with no problem whatsoever.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts