Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RockAuto lists several front lower control arms from a handful of different manufacturers. I've always had good luck with Moog stuff, so I looked at those first. There are three different part numbers for the Moog LCA's...

I vaguely remember reading way back when the SVTs came out that some of the suspension bushings were different from the regular Focus. All of the Moog LCA options come with the bushings installed. Anyone know how to identify which one of these is for the SVT? Is there any difference in the LCA bushing stiffness for an SVT vs a regular Focus?

The site doesn't specify...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ArkSVT - do you remember which ones you purchased? There's a difference in price, so the thought process is that something must be different between them all... As a manufacturing guy I can't imagine that they'd build three different variants for a car this old...

At least one model they offer is from their Problem Solver line. These usually have some kind of adjustability or other 'feature' to cure common problems not normally addressed by just replacing the part in question. I can't tell which one is from the Problem Solver line, but the assumption is the most expensive one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to uncover a little bit of info. Moog has two different lines of replacement parts - R-Series and Premium. According to Moog, R-Series are for the value driven repair. Premium include things like serviceable powdered-metal ball joints and more precise geometry. I guess this means the ball joints can be replaced easily without replacing the whole arm (or without using non-standard methods to separate the joint from the arm, like grinding the rivets on the R series)

R-Series part numbers start with RK*, and the Premium series start with CK*. So there's only a little mystery left... what are the FDW* parts from Moog...? They aren't mentioned in the suspension section of their tech web site. The FDW's split the RK and CK in price, but are closer to the CK's, at least at Rock Auto.

RK80405 (left front)
CK80405 (left front)
FDWP0404 (left front)

I still have a hard time believing that the actual arm itself is any different. It just doesn't make any sense. The ball joints are certainly different, and maybe the bushings, but it doesn't specifically say so.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd go for a pr of CFM's tubular arms= Lighter, stouter, adjustable camber, more forward bite, lot less wheel hop. I've had mine for yrs w/ no issues.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
'Serviceable" prob. means zerks for greasing I'd guess, along with the better quality ball joints. A while back someone only found the arms with sealed joints & replacement joints with zerks from Moog, was wondering if you had to buy arms & replace the joints to get the better ones. Looks like arms with the better joints are now avail..

With an FD in the number, could the middle range ones be "factory equivalent" (Ford) vs. economy or premium?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine were just sold as K80405 and K80406. I don't have the boxes any longer but they don't have zerks and on a daily driver, I don't necessarily want them. Most people overfill them , blow out the boots and cause more damage than not. If these last anywhere close to the 150k miles that the factory non serviceable ones went, I will be happy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd opt for the CK or K series parts; I recently replaced a lower control arm for someone on a 01 focus and got a non-zerk fitting ball joint on a ck series part. Hard to beat the Rockauto price, though, if you belong to Amazon.com prime membership you'll get the part quicker. I haven't seen the "R" series parts, yet, but given their lower price point, they could be like any other store branded part, i.e., autozone, o'reilly, NAPA, etc. The problem solver parts work well and correct many problems that OEM parts have in their design. Some GM 4x4 trucks have trouble with idler arms, Moog makes a problem solver HD unit with heavier grade joint and improved design that works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts