Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a terrible low speed clunking sound. It happens 20mph and under when going over tiny road cracks and bumps. I realize the most common cause would be sway bar end links, but I replaced them and it's still happening. I also replaced the complete struts, inner and outer tie rods, and motor mounts.
The only other thing I can think that it might be is the cv shafts or the steering rack. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
My sway bar end links kept coming loose, so you might want to check that. It could also be ball joints- either the lower control arm ball joint, the tie rod end ball joint, or the inner tie rod.

Outer CV axles make a distinct popping sound in hard turns at low speeds when most torque is applied to the joint. It is very easy to reproduce, and will get worse to the point where you no longer have to turn the steering to hear the sound.

The inner CV typically makes a roaring sound that could be mistaken for wheel bearings. Upon closer inspection, you'll hear a clicking sound while rotating the axle that sounds like someone running a playing card through the spokes on a bicycle wheel. Other symptoms would be annoying high speed vibration that seems to come and go- typically stable speeds will cause vibration, and accelerating will cause the vibration to go away while accelerating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well tierods are all new. I checked the new endlinks, they are still tight. I really tugged on the swaybar and get very little movement and no sound. From what I can see the control arm bushings look fine. I jacked up the car and really just banged and wiggled everything I could and dont see what could be causing the clunking. Maybe its in the upper engine bay, no idea.

How does one test the lower ball joints?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well tierods are all new. I checked the new endlinks, they are still tight. I really tugged on the swaybar and get very little movement and no sound. From what I can see the control arm bushings look fine. I jacked up the car and really just banged and wiggled everything I could and dont see what could be causing the clunking. Maybe its in the upper engine bay, no idea.

How does one test the lower ball joints?
you would jack the car up then put a tire iron under the tir and jerk it up. if you hear any weird noises you need new ball joints.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the exact same problem, and after poking around on and off for a few weeks now, I think I just discovered the problem. Mine is a 2001 wagon. I can see that the tie arm bushings are mostly disintegrated. [bigcry]. I would also call this the rear suspension trailing arm bushing. Looks like a PITA to replace. I'll start a new topic on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts