Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with a recently purchased '05 Focus ZX4 where there is a pronounced rumble and vibration when accelerating at lower speeds or from a stop. The noise is noticeable on acceleration from a light, but when idling the rumble ceases. It’s most pronounced when decelerating at low speeds to stop at a light. There is a vibration penetrating though the gas pedal that corresponds with the noise and makes my foot tingle. What could this be cause by, or do Focuses just have noisy engines?[confused]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I'm assuming you're still under Warranty? [;)]
^^^ Hint...hint...

Something that might help us a bit though;
Do you have an Automatic or Manual transmission?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll add a little bit more information to help. The rumble seems to permeate into the cabin especially with the windows open at low RPMs (although I don't have a tachometer) but almost disappears at idle (or is dipping below my bass hearing range). It occurs at any speed where the engine is lobbing, like in 1st-2nd stop-and-go traffic, or between gear shifts right when the car enters a new gear and the RPMs are at their lowest.

It could just be that I'm not use to inline 4 cylinder engines that have larger piston diameters that induce more shake. I have driven mostly V6es in the past, like the Ford Contour Sport which was very quiet at low RPMs lobbing on the freeway. If I pop the hood and look at the engine on the Focus at idle I can see a visible engine compartment shake enough to make the whole engine look a bit blurry. Other than that the car runs great and I have no issue with its performance. I'll take it into a dealership to look at it, but maybe it’s just me. My only guess might be motor mounts. A manifold or leak or exhaust system pinhole would not cause a visible engine vibration that I know of...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I'll take it into a dealership to look at it,
^^^That's your best bet...utilize that Warranty! [;)]

Motor mounts could be the culprit, but if so, they should also cause bad vibrations at idle which you don't seem to be experiencing. [dunno]

Definitely check out the rear mount.
Goes from the back of the transmission to the lower subframe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did finally take my Focus into the dealership back on Thursday. My rumble/vibration problem was written up as: D11 Idles too fast. Advise that C/S vehicle has rough idle on coldstart. They ran War ECC diagnostics, datalogger diagnosis and pids, fuel system, and ignition system and all of them passed. Lastly they ran a pinpoint test by symptom and reprogrammed the PCM to the latest calibration.

My Focus runs smoother now aand the idle does seem lower, around 700-800rpm(I found information on the FH website how to access the test mode and get a digital rpm meter from the odometer LCD). Pickup is about the same and smoother, but doesn't "jump" off lights like it did before.

I get the feeling the previous owner who could have been a Ford plant employee since I purchased it at a dealership that is right next to the Van **** Assembly Plant. This person may have performed a PCM EEPROM performance mod. Bad thing is I lost the "performance" programming[?|] good thing is that I don't have to deal with jackrabbiting in stop-n-go traffic. This spares my brakes, engine, and gas. So I guess its a good thing after all.[thumb]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts