Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as of the last two days my 12' focus SE MTX has been flashing a red oil light. It seems as if it does it when the engine is warmed up. If I stop suddenly, it will flash on for a brief second. It does not stay on.

Today, however, I has some stumbling in first gear from a dead start. It didnt seem to have much power on the low 1-3k rpm range. Once I got around 4K it stumbled and seemed as if it was going to stall as I was just coming to a stop for a light. Once the light turned green, I started to move again and it was sluggish, but did not stumble or bog down.

I drove to Autozone to get oil and a filter to change it when I got home and let the engine cool a bit. Its been around 3500 miles since my last change and I use Mobile1 Synthetic and a Wix Filter.

I have an aftermarket water temp gauge and the temps have been at or below where they need to be. I'm hoping its oil pressure related due to low or dirty oil. I may pull off the oil pan to check the pickup tube for clogs, but not sure if ill have time. Anyhow, any suggestions would help. I have looked online for the last couple of days but I couldn't find much of anything helpful for me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not a good thing

I just changed the oil. It was a bit low for sure. There was a very small amount of fuzzy metal on the oil plug magnet.
Before panicking, go to the Blackstone lab website, order a kit and get an oil analysis done. It will help you make an informed decision before you spend any money unnecessarily.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
If you stop suddenly and the light comes on for a second you are more than just a 'bit low'. Start looking for a leak, or engine burning oil.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shortly after driving I got a check engine light. I stopped to check the oil and coolant levels and everything was fine and the car is running well. I got home and used my scanner to find the damn P0420 “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" again!

I just had that code a few months ago and I replaced the O2 sensor to fix it. What gives, you think?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run 5w-30. I took the bottom air cover off to watch for leaks on the ground over the next few months. The car has always had a weeping leak around the backside of the oil pan but I have not ever pulled it apart and resealed it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I run 5w-30. I took the bottom air cover off to watch for leaks on the ground over the next few months. The car has always had a weeping leak around the backside of the oil pan but I have not ever pulled it apart and resealed it.
How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
765 Posts
It has 85k.
I don't think the bogging and the oil light issues are the same problem. At 85k it is time to replace the spark plugs. From what I have read, the oil light flashing could be the service reminder. Do a service light reset. I believe spark plugs will fix your other issue.

·
Registered
861 Posts
From what I have read, the oil light flashing could be the service reminder. Do a service light reset. I believe spark plugs will fix your other issue.
Maybe, but the service reminder light would stay on. He said his oil light is flashing on/off.

This sounds like an oil pressure issue if the level is okay.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Even more if cold it doesn't do it and begins to show up when engine warms up.

To post #7, if engine is burning the oil then the cat will likely be full of carbon from it to ruin.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I hate to sound pessimistic, but it sounds like the oil level was WAY low, or the bearings are shot. A mechanical oil pressure gauge would be handy to diagnose, but I have no clue where the sender is. Any weird noises? Knocking, rattling?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I hate to sound pessimistic, but it sounds like the oil level was WAY low, or the bearings are shot. A mechanical oil pressure gauge would be handy to diagnose, but I have no clue where the sender is. Any weird noises? Knocking, rattling?
Agreed. Never had a Ford with metal on the magnetic drain plug.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
A very light fuzz will show up on every one you yank, normal wear on the steel and iron parts. I have mag drains in every car I have.

·
Registered
765 Posts
A very light fuzz will show up on every one you yank, normal wear on the steel and iron parts. I have mag drains in every car I have.
If you use the wrong oil. I have magnetic plugs on my motorcycle and cars. Any oil other than Mobil 1 left a gray residue on the magnets. With Mobil 1 I don't see anything.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you use the wrong oil. I have magnetic plugs on my motorcycle and cars. Any oil other than Mobil 1 left a gray residue on the magnets. With Mobil 1 I don't see anything.
I don't know about the "wrong oil" thing. I used Mobil 1 on an Accord I had, and it always had a bit of metal fuzz on the plug. Normal.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
There is NO such thing as an engine that does not wear at least a little bit. When I talk fuzz I mean it wipes out flat to turn into seeming oil (the gray residue), it is that fine, and off cars with well over 200K miles on them, they have done it all those years. My bikes were the same way yet never tore up one early ever.

Mobil 1 is nothing special, I saw the same on cars using it. I run conventional oil at 9K OCIs too. No sense in wasting money on synthetic, can't kill the cars now.

Making money with every oil change.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There is NO such thing as an engine that does not wear at least a little bit. When I talk fuzz I mean it wipes out flat to turn into seeming oil (the gray residue), it is that fine, and off cars with well over 200K miles on them, they have done it all those years. My bikes were the same way yet never tore up one early ever.

Mobil 1 is nothing special, I saw the same on cars using it. I run conventional oil at 9K OCIs too. No sense in wasting money on synthetic, can't kill the cars now.

Making money with every oil change.
That has not been my experience. Why I abhor oil threads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts