Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes,

My wife's 2012 focus recently started blowing hot air - I'm trying to find the low pressure a/c port so I can check if it just needs some freon, but I'm not finding anything anywhere online and I've exhausted my Googling.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A picture would be the bee's knee's so I can get her back in action!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section.

In this section you can find threads on the HVAC system not working properly, sometimes the fault is as simple as the control section in the dash not being plugged in properly.

Checking/adding refrigerant through the low side port can cause more problems than it solves, since by just checking there you can't know what is really needed if anything.

2012's did have more troubles than average with the A/c compressor, you can find more info. here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264334

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did come across that thread in my original searching, and one of the guys had it resolved by simply adding more refridgerant. I planned on just hooking up a gauge i have that tells you if its low, good, or may have mechanical problems. Its the cheapest first-step trouble shooting i'd like to get out of the way.

Alot of that thread is also "X happened at the factory so i got X fixed", but our cars now 3 years old with no previous ac issues.

That being said, does anyone happen to have an answer to my original question? It will help out future users looking for the same thing when that times comes.

Also, where can i check the dash connection? I doubt it would just come unplugged randomly one day though...

Thanks!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Hey dudes,

My wife's 2012 focus recently started blowing hot air - I'm trying to find the low pressure a/c port so I can check if it just needs some freon, but I'm not finding anything anywhere online and I've exhausted my Googling.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A picture would be the bee's knee's so I can get her back in action!
Here is the location but please be advised that charging an AC system can be very dangerous if you are not trained. Always verify you are connecting to the low pressure (suction) side of the compressor. Connecting a can of refrigerant to the high pressure side of the compressor can grenade the can resulting in serious injury. The charging hose needs to be purged prior to connecting or you will be charging some air and moisture into the system which will degrade cooling. This is best left to a pro.

As sailor said, if you had sudden loss of cooling, I would suspect something other than refrigerant. Even if it was a catastrophic loss of refrigerant, the system needs to be repaired and evacuated (pull a vacuum to remove moisture) prior to charging. Completely opening the system to the atmosphere warrants a new drier as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah hah! That's where it is, thanks! After reading both your comments and valuing my non-blown-off-face, I decided to suck it up and take it to Ford, even though its two weeks out of warranty.

They checked it out and said it was just a blown fuse, and to drive it around to see if it blows again. So far, so good!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ah hah! That's where it is, thanks! After reading both your comments and valuing my non-blown-off-face, I decided to suck it up and take it to Ford, even though its two weeks out of warranty.

They checked it out and said it was just a blown fuse, and to drive it around to see if it blows again. So far, so good!

Thanks for your help!
Hi Torpedo1,

If the concern reoccurs, please let me know (along with your mileage) so I can jump in. Glad to hear things are going smoothly!

Meagan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts