Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of posts about how the standard duratec focus is slow and a few videos on youtube where they appear to just kinda crawl along (for instance, the video of 0-100mph in 38seconds)

are foci really that slow? mine doesn't seem that bad but i haven't had it to the track yet. i've only raced a few riced civics and the like (they all look alike to me) and haven't had any trouble yet.[thumb]

all i have is a homemade short ram so i can't have that much more juice than stock. i'm just kind of at a loss for why everyone says the focus is slow.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i feel like i could get to 100mph in less than 38 seconds, though i haven't tried.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Compared to lots of newer small cars, the Focus is really restrictive and slow out the box.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
hey tim what front lip is that on your ride bro?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need to go to the track sometime and see what numbers exactly i can get. i have an automatic (which again, doesn't seem as bad as everyone makes it out to be) so i'll work on my launch until then [:)]

what kind of times do other 2.0 duratecs get? we only have a 1/8 here.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
well i have an automatic 2.3 focus with minimal mods and in my 1/8 track i run 10.4 but i'm in texas and location blah blah blah so i'm probably not telling you anything that will help you. but no 38 seconds i dont think so if i can get from 0-60 in like 9 or omething seconds...i'm sure 60-100 doesnt take 30

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 2.3L ATX and my 0-100 is roughly 22 seconds.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
remember the focus is made by ford for their econo box sector..

its not meant to outperform or take the spot light away from the mustang.

and im sure you can beat civics with SOHC's because they are 1.8 and 1.6L's which are even smaller than our engines...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ok, I must have a super Zetec because I've got an auto, AEM CAI, FR wires, stock plugs, FC TB, SVT Header, RT cat, flex, Borla, VF Dogbone, and Xcal II tuned by Wayne and I ran a 15.8. My car is weird though, some days it definitely feels quicker than others, that must've been a good day, bad feels like 16.2, and rain feels like 16.8, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
People who think of the focus as slow are just looking at the numbers and have never driven the car.

They see 130 hp and 130 ft-lbs and think "Wow my Civic beats that!" but that's because in the powerband their civic has all the power at it's top end and it falls on it's face as soon as they go below 6K rpms because it's tuned to rev high and not push the car.

The thing I've always loved about the duratec motor is that it has consistent power throughout the RPM band so you don't get that fall-on-your-face of most other small tuner cars. The only thing that comes close for the price is the chevy cobalt SS and they had to supercharge that thing just to get decent numbers.

Next time you see somebody boasting about 200+hp out of a civic you don't need to wonder why they don't bother mentioning torque... They don't have any.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i think i can get to trip digits in about 20 seconds, i know my cousin has done it a few times in my car, and we are in third gear still spinning the tires into 4th

·
Registered
492 Posts
I know my 0-100 is well below 38 seconds, all I have is a Focus Sport CAI.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
What's the point? These are economy cars.

Now someone tell me what a D23 would do in a Fiesta when Ford brings those over- if they use the Duratec engine platform without too may changes.

Yes I did notice the powerband in the Duratecs as compared to the Hondas, as well as the torque numbers with a turbo that nearly match the hp.

·
Registered
57 Posts
as well as the torque numbers with a turbo that nearly match the hp.
One of the more recent euro-editions of Fast Fords that I can get at ONE magazine shop in my hometown had a focus dyno shootout.

A guy from california had 462 hp and 390+ ft-lbs of torque, and another guy had a duratec putting out 360 hourse and 396 ft-lbs...

Doesn't it just make you drool?

Now imagine this:

High power turbo Duratec, Cosworth head, billet crank with forged lightweight rods and pistons and some serious ECU mapping...

Normally mounted in a fiesta behind the driver with drivelines going to the front and back. It would be some INSANE work, hours, and money but when you're done you've got basically a newer looking Ford RS200 with an updated motor.

This is my dream. [grinking] Aim high or don't aim at all. [grinking]

·
Registered
43 Posts
ive done a few mods,(exhaust, cai,fluids,plugs) and it just barely keeps up
with the newer models of the same car class ...... still a fun car to mod and drive anyway .................;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The 0-100 is more than fast enough for me, I would like to improve the 100-0 time.

Im almost certain it can do it faster than 38 seconds, but I do live at almost sea level.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts