Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my svt is low on power. It seems like the low end torque that its known for is not there. About the car: Its an 02 svt with 123k, ive had it for the last year and a half, before that it was my aunts so it wasnt thrashed. I did the timing assembly in november. I put on a udp. It has a cone filter on the stock intake tubing. Poly bushings in the factory dog bone mount. MSD coil pack and wire and copper plugs gaped to .058ish.

It seems to have happened after the timing belt was replaced. I thought it could be the timing is off so i took it back and the shop said it was dead on after 3k miles. I thought it could be the bushings just preventing the torquey feel. But Ive noticed in the last few months(3-4 since i dont drive that much) that I need to rev higher to feel the car and to even accelerate at a moderately quick pace.I used to drive casually at about 2800 rpm, not its about 3200-3400.

Any ideas on what it is or where to start looking??

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Have you verified the timing your self? Also check to make sure the intake manifold runner control is working correctly. If the intake manifold is stuck in the short runner position that can cause a lack of low end. Though if it was fine before the timing belt change and then right after it was lacking then I would suspect the timing could be slightly off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
After the first time I had my timing belt done, I had the same problem. Within a couple of days though, it threw a CEL. Turns out the unit that controls the variable valve timing had been damaged (it sits right up there near the timing belt) when they did the work. It's worth checking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought it in to have them check it they said it was dead on, with pics to show it. I was thinking the runner control too, but with the timing being done i thought maybe it was another problem. I havent thrown a code in 3k miles so i dont think its the solenoid that is commonly not working.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
I'd check the intake manifold runner control next then. Look under the hood by your tb and coil pack or under them on the intake manifold before you start the car and see where the intake manifold runners are at. Then start the car and look again, the cable should be pulled. If not then it's not working, it may or may not throw a code depending on what part of it is broke, if it's broke at all.

Oh and that was good of the shop to take pictures, most places wouldn't even bother doing that at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah im glad they did because I was skeptical from the beginning, but they are highly regarded in the area.

I did check to see if that clip is intacked and it is. Ill check the manifold when i get a chance.

Assuming the manifold is correct, whats next?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts