Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently changed my oil about 150 miles ago. When I drained my oil I was about 3 quarts low. I honestly didn't check because I only drove 2000 miles on that oil change. When I had my bottom cover off I noticed a little oil on the timing belt cover looks like someone rubbed it there. And when I went and checked today the oil doesn't go up to the second hole on the dip stick. Has anyone else had this problem ?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I recently changed my oil about 150 miles ago. When I drained my oil I was about 3 quarts low. I honestly didn't check because I only drove 2000 miles on that oil change. When I had my bottom cover off I noticed a little oil on the timing belt cover looks like someone rubbed it there. And when I went and checked today the oil doesn't go up to the second hole on the dip stick. Has anyone else had this problem ?
Something is not right here. The 2.0 Duratec only holds 4.5 quarts and you were 3 quarts down after only 2000 miles? If you were that low on oil, the dipstick would be dry. You only had 1.5 quarts of oil left in the motor and nearly half a quart of that is in the oil filter. If you were leaking that much oil, the aeroshield (bottom felt cover) would be saturated. Get that looked at pronto.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it holds 5 and I put 5 in this time but still it hasn't even been a month and I'm missing oil? Unless it's because my car was a little warm

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do not believe the whole story is here.

The 'three quarts low' part is a confusing statement.
Does it mean you (the original poster) yourself changed the oil, took out the drain plug and the oil drained out was only ONE QUART? (before you removed the oil filter)
(since the oil filter holds about a half a quart, and still left in place easy the whole 0.6 quart))
The engine only carries 4.6 quarts total. added with a dry filter.
So FOUR quarts minus THREE quarts is ONE QUART.

Is this true? and how did you measure the oil volume? plus did you drain it cold? or hot? and for how long a time with the drain plug out? (makes a big difference if the engine was cold)

Then prior to the draining did you actually ever check the oil dipstick in the 2,000 miles preceding?

If someone ELSE did the oil change.. Why do you think they would tell you it was only one quart that came out?
Then after filling the oil change and running the engine, did you immediately (after waiting a few minutes to let the oil settle) check the oil level?

And finally the last oil level check, how long did you wait to check the oil after turning off the engine?
Immediately? Ten minutes (minimum recommended) or all night sit before checking?

IMO a lot of problems with the oil level in the MK3 Focus are just confusion. And anxiety over not wanting anything to be wrong.

I have changed the oil on my own cars a lot. usually there is a little less oil oil out than back in. And a lot of oil trapped inside the filter. (due to the anti-drainback valve)
But missing three quarts boggles the mind. especially if you had checked the oil level in the prior 2,000 miles. If you did not check it.. was the car new? did anyone ever check the oil? was the prior oil change done by a shop? did you check the oil level immediately after leaving the shop. (like right in the parking lot.. Plenty of horror stories of idiots not putting oil in. Checking in the parking lot would save a lot of tears. I would personally never leave anyplace after an oil change without checking the oil level myself.
So I do the oil change myself.)

I only ask these questions to clarify the problem. And that a LOT of oil level threads are just not actual problems..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One additional comment,

How are you checking the oil level?

If you don't pull the stick, wipe reinsert pull & check THEN, you prob. aren't getting a good reading.

On Mine (and on at least some MkIII's) if you just pull the stick when it's been sitting it'll look a quart low (near bottom mark). Reinsert the stick to recheck & it's fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Make sure you check your oil correctly; as Sailor stated pull the dip stick, wipe, re-insert completely and check again. Only do this after the engine has be turned off for at least 15 minutes to ensure all the oil is in the pan.

Check your oil often (maybe daily) for a while until you are sure you don't have a leak.

Check the ground under the car to ensure no leaks. If the car does not blow blue smoke and you don't find anything on the ground after it has been parked a while, chances are you don't have a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are checking the oil correctly; cold engine, level ground, and you are getting results that low, you are loosing major oil. Check for obvious oil leaks under engine and transmission bell housing, if none are found, check that the coolant and remaining oil is clean, neither should look like cappuccino, then your head gasket is fine, if all this checks out, then the culprit is a clogged PCV valve that is not recirculating oil vapours and allowing the oil to burn. Time to go in for service.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you are checking the oil correctly; cold engine, level ground, and you are getting results that low, you are loosing major oil. Check for obvious oil leaks under engine and transmission bell housing, if none are found, check that the coolant and remaining oil is clean, neither should look like cappuccino, then your head gasket is fine, if all this checks out, then the culprit is a clogged PCV valve that is not recirculating oil vapours and allowing the oil to burn. Time to go in for service.
Where is the PCV valve located on our 2.0 GDIs and what's your recommended change interval of the PCV valve?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Where is the PCV valve located on our 2.0 GDIs and what's your recommended change interval of the PCV valve?
EDIT: I should've refreshed the page. [ninja]

On cars where it's accessible, I see a lot of people say 100k - some people are anal and clean it every 20k or so because it's good preventative maintenance.

On this car, I believe it's under the exhaust manifold(?), so it's not terribly easy to get to and you'd probably want to change the gaskets of the removed components.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
EDIT: I should've refreshed the page. [ninja]

On cars where it's accessible, I see a lot of people say 100k - some people are anal and clean it every 20k or so because it's good preventative maintenance.

On this car, I believe it's under the exhaust manifold, so it's not terribly easy to get to and you'd probably want to change the manifold gaskets if you removed it.
Yeah, I was going to say it doesn't look easy to access.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If the OP has checked the oil correctly and no visible oil leaks exist, a more likely reason for oil loss is old-fashioned oil consumption with oil getting past rings or valve stems. It seems pretty unlikely the PCV valve (which is not a maintenance item) would go bad this early in the car's life

Nonetheless, a service visit is in order with an oil consumption test likely following.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OP's car should not have enough miles for worn rings, unless the oil consumption issue has been allowed to get worse, a compression test will sort that out. Some cars do have bad PCV valves from the factory, not Focus specific. Process of elimination troubleshooting, if that PCV is really dirtied up on such a recent Focus, then it is the culprit. Since the car is still under warranty, I would suggest going to the dealer as soon as possible, let them run a compression test and swap out the PCV.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
OP's car should not have enough miles for worn rings, unless the oil consumption issue has been allowed to get worse, a compression test will sort that out. Some cars do have bad PCV valves from the factory, not Focus specific. Process of elimination troubleshooting, if that PCV is really dirtied up on such a recent Focus, then it is the culprit. Since the car is still under warranty, I would suggest going to the dealer as soon as possible, let them run a compression test and swap out the PCV.
Is it possible some cars (not necessarily Focus) can consume excessive oil from the factory due to rings and/or value seals?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Is it possible some cars (not necessarily Focus) can consume excessive oil from the factory due to rings and/or value seals?
OP's car should not have enough miles for worn rings....
Our moderator Deftmetal had excessive oil consumption on a brand new engine in his Focus. Ford replaced his engine.

"My first engine consumed oil at about a quart in 4000 miles. It got worse and worse. The engine was pulled and they found a damaged piston. The engine was changed and the new engine burns 1 quart in 1800 miles currently."

I believe Ford ended up buying the car back through arbitration. (CAMVAP)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322217&highlight=deftmetal

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I see. A PCV valve can be bad from the factory, but oil control rings, pistons, assembly, cylinder bores, etc. cannot? And don't forget engine break-in, which, if improperly done, can keep rings from seating correctly. A small percentage of cars are just burners from the factory and the OP's may be one. (Assuming, of course, that its crankcase was ever at the full mark to begin with.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
My car was burning about a quart every 500 miles. Only odd thing under the hood was my coolant in the overflow was getting consistently blacker. Ended up being a bad HG and Ford replaced the whole engine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any update on your situation? [poke]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Have you been to your dealer to have this checked out? Please let me know any updates you have, along with your updated mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
74 Posts
I too have had oil consumption issues, I am currently in contact with my local dealer on an oil consumption test to monitor the issue then take the next steps accordingly. Kind of annoying considering the first time I took it to a dealer they told me it was "normal" to have around 2.5 quarts missing after 3000 miles...will add to this thread as time goes on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts