Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It annoys me how the low beam turns off when the high beam turns on. I thought I read a hack somewhere where this was fixed. Does anyone have any information on this? I've been searching but haven't been able to come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,207 Posts
FYI, don't do this mod with the stock dual filament bulbs because the heat will make them explode.

With aftermarket dual beam housings or a Mach HIDs it's a great mod to do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's (Apparently) been done on my Mach's. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to do that but I really like it. Bright as all hell and looks pretty cool

·
Registered
13 Posts
dragging up an old one, as I was searching for something else

I'd just like to caution you if doing this, as it WILL reduce the distance you can see.

what happens is the eye compensates for the extra light in the near field by closing the pupil, thus cutting off light from afar.

the older cars with 4 separate headlights used to leave the LBs on, but with the brighter bulbs and better understanding, they now have them turn off.

just for fun, research the Blue light vs the Yellow light for distance viewing... you'll soon be thinking of going to a lower K number to yellow up your light, if you are doing a lot of high speed travel at night.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
dragging up an old one, as I was searching for something else

I'd just like to caution you if doing this, as it WILL reduce the distance you can see.

what happens is the eye compensates for the extra light in the near field by closing the pupil, thus cutting off light from afar.

the older cars with 4 separate headlights used to leave the LBs on, but with the brighter bulbs and better understanding, they now have them turn off.

just for fun, research the Blue light vs the Yellow light for distance viewing... you'll soon be thinking of going to a lower K number to yellow up your light, if you are doing a lot of high speed travel at night.
the reason we do this is thus:

the mach HID lights ahve an HID low beam and a halogen high beam.
however the HID was bi-xenon bulb (with the movable cutoff shield) so, when you do this mod, as I have, it keeps the HID on, moves the shield to highbeam position and lights up the halogen. its AWESOME.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so with the HID Bi-Xenon, you have in reality TWO highbeams on at the same time?

no bright spot in front of the car?

Now THAT I could learn to like!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
two high beams, no hot spots.

honestly i don't even know what the halogen bulb is contributing...

the HID lights were one of the best mods I have ever done to my SVT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts