Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm hoping the U.S. doesn't get the crappy version like always.
Exactly which crappy version of the RS are you referring to?

Do you think that the current (MK3) Focus sold in the U.S. is "crappy"?

Judging by this video ken block is all in.
Wasn't Ken Block essentially acting as a paid spokesman for Ford?

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
sorry meant more of the tuned down version, should have specified sorry.
We either got the car, or we didn't. We got the MK1 Focus ST, it was the SVT, and they were basically identical, other than bumpers. Same engine, trans, suspension, brakes. We didn't get the MK2 because it was built on a completely different chassis we never got. (Unless you count the Volvo C30.) Our "MK2" is really just a MK1 with a newer body tossed on it. Same with the MK1.5s.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
We either got the car, or we didn't. We got the MK1 Focus ST, it was the SVT, and they were basically identical, other than bumpers. Same engine, trans, suspension, brakes. We didn't get the MK2 because it was built on a completely different chassis we never got. (Unless you count the Volvo C30.) Our "MK2" is really just a MK1 with a newer body tossed on it. Same with the MK1.5s.
We got the MK2 Focus' platform here as the C1 based Mazda 3/Mazda 5, and the Volvo C30/S40/V50.

The closest we got to the proper MK2 ST would be the C30 R-Design with the T5 engine, but before that we did still have the MazdaSpeed3 which is closer in gen 2 form to the MK3 ST.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
We got the MK2 Focus' platform here as the C1 based Mazda 3/Mazda 5, and the Volvo C30/S40/V50.

The closest we got to the proper MK2 ST would be the C30 R-Design with the T5 engine, but before that we did still have the MazdaSpeed3 which is closer in gen 2 form to the MK3 ST.
Did you even read my last post? Thanks for re-stating what I already said...

·
Registered
18 Posts
USA RS doesn't get the same features/options as other countries

Exactly which crappy version of the RS are you referring to?

Do you think that the current (MK3) Focus sold in the U.S. is "crappy"?

Wasn't Ken Block essentially acting as a paid spokesman for Ford?
Because USA doesn't get the same features/options as elsewhere. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_angry.gif

Look at USA RS Configurator: 2016 Ford Focus - Build & Price
Then Look at UK RS Configurator: Build and Price | Ford UK

(1) Magnetic Color [bigcry]

(2) Luxury Pack: [bigcry]- Powerfold door mirrors; rear parking sensors; Ford KeyFree System, cruise control with speed limiter; privacy glass

(3) Trim (Seats):
Standard RS Recaro seat
Standard RS Recaro seat - Blue Bolsters
Recaro shell front seats [bigcry]

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Because USA doesn't get the same features/options as elsewhere. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_angry.gif

Look at USA RS Configurator: 2016 Ford Focus - Build & Price
Then Look at UK RS Configurator: Build and Price | Ford UK

(1) Magnetic Color [bigcry]

(2) Luxury Pack: [bigcry]- Powerfold door mirrors; rear parking sensors; Ford KeyFree System, cruise control with speed limiter; privacy glass

(3) Trim (Seats):
Standard RS Recaro seat
Standard RS Recaro seat - Blue Bolsters
Recaro shell front seats [bigcry]
1.) Magnetic Metallic isn't available because it's on the ST here, where as Stealth Grey is not. The only reason Europe gets that option is due to them already having stealth on the ST and to distinguish it from the lower model.
2.) The Luxury package seems to contain standard objects on the USDM RS (cruise control and the KeyFree (IA w/ Push button start) system, so apart from the slightly tinted glass, power folding mirrors and rear parking sensors it seems like they are getting a de-contented model. Had you pointed out that the UK gets the quickclear heated windshield as standard you might have had a point. However the UK models only receive Sync 2 where as the USDM ones get the latest Sync 3 system.
3.)The Recaro shell seats with their lack of air bags and FMVSS crash certification were not going to be sold here from the factory. If one want's them that badly then they can order them separately. As to the other two levels of Recaro seats those differ only in material and appearance from the US seats, so if you must have the blue leather inserts order the covers separately, but iirc the US cars may still be getting the US made seats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1.) Magnetic Metallic isn't available because it's on the ST here, where as Stealth Grey is not. The only reason Europe gets that option is due to them already having stealth on the ST and to distinguish it from the lower model.
2.) The Luxury package seems to contain standard objects on the USDM RS (cruise control and the KeyFree (IA w/ Push button start) system, so apart from the slightly tinted glass, power folding mirrors and rear parking sensors it seems like they are getting a de-contented model. Had you pointed out that the UK gets the quickclear heated windshield as standard you might have had a point. However the UK models only receive Sync 2 where as the USDM ones get the latest Sync 3 system.
3.)The Recaro shell seats with their lack of air bags and FMVSS crash certification were not going to be sold here from the factory. If one want's them that badly then they can order them separately. As to the other two levels of Recaro seats those differ only in material and appearance from the US seats, so if you must have the blue leather inserts order the covers separately, but the US cars may still be getting the US made seats.
suss6052,

Thanks for the quick response.

Let me clarify:

(1) the USA does not get Magnetic Metal which IMHO ( and a lot of other people) is much better than the Stealth Gray. Why not offer in the USA?

(2) USA gets manual folding mirrors instead of power folding. Not really a big deal, but why offer in UK and not USA ? And also rear parking sensors are not offered in USA.

(3) The USA does not get the full recaros because of not being certified with air bags even though a similar recaro seat is available in USA Mustang. They could have been certified in USA for the RS.

I personally wanted the "Race Red" color. I am going to be coming from a 2013 ST/ST3 which I love except for torque steer. I have put down a deposit on a loaded Shadow Black RS ( RS2, moon roof, painted alloy wheels) which will be ordered on October 12, 2015 when the order banks officially open. I am looking forward to this car; I think it will be great!

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
suss6052,

Thanks for the quick response.

Let me clarify:

(1) the USA does not get Magnetic Metal which IMHO ( and a lot of other people) is much better than the Stealth Gray. Why not offer in the USA?

(2) USA gets manual folding mirrors instead of power folding. Not really a big deal, but why offer in UK and not USA ? And also rear parking sensors are not offered in USA.

(3) The USA does not get the full recaros because of not being certified with air bags even though a similar recaro seat is available in USA Mustang. They could have been certified in USA for the RS.

I personally wanted the "Race Red" color. I am going to be coming from a 2013 ST/ST3 which I love except for torque steer. I have put down a deposit on a loaded Shadow Black RS ( RS2, moon roof, painted alloy wheels) which will be ordered on October 12, 2015 when the order banks officially open. I am looking forward to this car; I think it will be great!

YMMV,

MidCow3
1.) The reason why not offer Magnetic Metallic on the Focus RS is as I stated before in order to distinguish the Focus RS in the USA from the ST and base Focus.
USDM already gets Magnetic Metallic on the base and ST models that are assembled here, it seems clear that this was intentional to separate the RS further from the ST at least on both sides of the Ocean.

Stealth Grey Focus ST in the UK.

Magnetic Metallic on a USDM Focus ST.

Due to Europe already getting a Stealth Grey ST they get an additional color added to their palette to differentiate the cars.

2.)My most educated reasoning is that there would be additional cost and complexity to carry over the power folding mirrors that customers here will not appreciate on this class of vehicle, and as to the rear parking sensors I can see a similar line of reasoning being equally valid. Personally I would ditch the parking sensors as they have, but offer the heated windshield, but then again I live and work in the heart of the area where Ford and the major "domestic" OEMs live and work where there are strong winters and it would be nice to reduce the need to scrape at least the largest piece of glass on the car.

3.)The cost to crash certify the car with those seats may have been deemed an expense not worth pursuing for the limited overall volume of the Focus RS over that of the Focus ST due to the differing requirements of FMVSS vs the ECE requirements. You can't go off of the Recaro seat in the Mustang because that's an entirely different equation of value vs. projected sales. (Just a thought, I have not personally worked on that program, but requirements don't grant a pass to non compliant products in general).

Personally I prefer the Focus ST2/3 Recaro seat over the one in the Mustang as it was much less comfortable or supportive compared to the ones in my Focus ST2.

I would have preferred Ingot Silver/Moondust Silver metallic as shown in one of the inside the rebirth of an icon series in a render on the wall of the design studio as my ST is silver, barring that I'd like to see it in Guard Metallic like the Mustang, but I guess if I had to choose it would be down to Stealth or Nitrous Blue. However the blue is a bit too extraverted for my tastes, and I'm not currently even in the market for a new car yet. If I was I'd still be torn between the Mustang GT performance pack w/ adaptive cruise, heated and cooled seats vs. an RS2 with the heated seats and wheel.

It's funny because when I got rid of my first Focus for the ST I probably could have considered the Mustang then, but having driven an automatic 5.0 on a test track back to back with the ST I had more fun with the slower ST (though that was back in 2012), the IRS and upgraded interior/exterior on the Mustang makes it a tougher call to me. I know most won't be cross shopping them but I really like both cars on paper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Difference of Opinion

1.) The reason why not offer Magnetic Metallic on the Focus RS is as I stated before in order to distinguish the Focus RS in the USA from the ST and base Focus.
USDM already gets Magnetic Metallic on the base and ST models that are assembled here, it seems clear that this was intentional to separate the RS further from the ST at least on both sides of the Ocean.

Due to Europe already getting a Stealth Grey ST they get an additional color added to their palette to differentiate the cars.

2.)My most educated reasoning is that there would be additional cost and complexity to carry over the power folding mirrors that customers here will not appreciate on this class of vehicle, and as to the rear parking sensors I can see a similar line of reasoning being equally valid. Personally I would ditch the parking sensors as they have, but offer the heated windshield, but then again I live and work in the heart of the area where Ford and the major "domestic" OEMs live and work where there are strong winters and it would be nice to reduce the need to scrape at least the largest piece of glass on the car.

3.)The cost to crash certify the car with those seats may have been deemed an expense not worth pursuing for the limited overall volume of the Focus RS over that of the Focus ST due to the differing requirements of FMVSS vs the ECE requirements. You can't go off of the Recaro seat in the Mustang because that's an entirely different equation of value vs. projected sales. (Just a thought, I have not personally worked on that program, but requirements don't grant a pass to non compliant products in general).

Personally I prefer the Focus ST2/3 Recaro seat over the one in the Mustang as it was much less comfortable or supportive compared to the ones in my Focus ST2.

I would have preferred Ingot Silver/Moondust Silver metallic as shown in one of the inside the rebirth of an icon series in a render on the wall of the design studio as my ST is silver, barring that I'd like to see it in Guard Metallic like the Mustang, but I guess if I had to choose it would be down to Stealth or Nitrous Blue. However the blue is a bit too extraverted for my tastes, and I'm not currently even in the market for a new car yet. If I was I'd still be torn between the Mustang GT performance pack w/ adaptive cruise, heated and cooled seats vs. an RS2 with the heated seats and wheel.

It's funny because when I got rid of my first Focus for the ST I probably could have considered the Mustang then, but having driven an automatic 5.0 on a test track back to back with the ST I had more fun with the slower ST (though that was back in 2012), the IRS and upgraded interior/exterior on the Mustang makes it a tougher call to me. I know most won't be cross shopping them but I really like both cars on paper.
Hey Suss6052,

It is okay for you to respond to my post and then to re-respond but you don't have to know all the answer; no one expects you too!

In having said that the answer you have given as to why the USA did not get Magnetic Metal makes no sense. The idea of a lower color might be an international distinguishing feature but It just doesn't make sense for a Ford in the USA.

The electric folding mirrors are included on a lot of other cars in USA. It is minimal cost to add electric motors. Ford just chose to give some features to USA and some international.

Ford didn't do the USA Recaro seat testing because they did not want to spend the money on what the consider a not "production" car. They did not feel the low number of cars would justify the certification cost because there are not going to be enough cars to spread the cost over and the certification's cost per RS would be too high.

Anyway, no offense meant but I respectfully disagree with your answers/opinions. My opinions may be different and they may be incorrect but they are how I feel about these issues especially the miserable color sections Ford provided on the Ford Focus RS.

Peace YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
278 Posts
when it comes to colours ford do behave strange in their thinking as the mk2 focus sts here have some wild colours that were not available on any other model and mk2 focus rs500 only came in matt black finish (stealth) seams odd ford never really let you guys have our mk2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Difference of Opinion

Hey Suss6052,

It is okay for you to respond to my post and then to re-respond but you don't have to know all the answer; no one expects you too!

In having said that the answer you have given as to why the USA did not get Magnetic Metal makes no sense. The idea of a lower color might be an international distinguishing feature but It just doesn't make sense for a Ford in the USA.

The electric folding mirrors are included on a lot of other cars in USA. It is minimal cost to add electric motors. Ford just chose to give some features to USA and some international.

Ford didn't do the USA Recaro seat testing because they did not want to spend the money on what the consider a not "production" car. They did not feel the low number of cars would justify the certification cost because there are not going to be enough cars to spread the cost over and the certification's cost per RS would be too high.

Anyway, no offense meant but I respectfully disagree with your answers/opinions. My opinions may be different and they may be incorrect but they are how I feel about these issues especially the miserable color sections Ford provided on the Ford Focus RS.

Peace YMMV,

MidCow3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts