Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 2014 Focus SE for a month now while the 2013 FX4 F150 sits in the garage so I can save mileage on the expensive toy.

One of the things I like the best about this car is the design of the cruise control. The large 'paddle' type design and the indent in the front makes it so easy to find the 'on' switch and the set switch without having to look or fumble around. Same for tapping the back of the paddle to disconnect and resume the cruise.

Sure which my truck had the same setup instead of just the small buttons.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had the 2014 Focus SE for a month now while the 2013 FX4 F150 sits in the garage so I can save mileage on the expensive toy.

One of the things I like the best about this car is the design of the cruise control. The large 'paddle' type design and the indent in the front makes it so easy to find the 'on' switch and the set switch without having to look or fumble around. Same for tapping the back of the paddle to disconnect and resume the cruise.

Sure which my truck had the same setup instead of just the small buttons.
I know what you mean. the previous generation of Fords (2005-2011 or so) had steering wheels with all the exact same size and shape buttons on the steering wheel.

The previous generations to that, (1996 - 2004 or so), had steering wheels with big fat buttons on either size that were different shape. My '99 Taurus for example had 2 big buttons on the left side. Top one had a raised bump and was the "On" button. Lower one was indented and was the "Off" button.

On the right side, top button was flat and was the "resume" button. Middle button had a raised bump and was the "Set/Accel" button. Lower button was dimpled and was the "Coast" button.

None of these buttons were lit, but I still always knew which one was which!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've finally got used to the cruise control buttons but I do NOT think this is well designed at all. I found that you had to be very careful when pressing the increase or decrease buttons because it was easy to rock the thing and turn cruise off completely. It's one plastic housing the does three things so if you're not careful when pressing either inc or dec button you can easily also trigger the middle button or cruise on/off.

It took at while but I found that if I only pressed the very top or bottom tip I could most of the time change speed without de-activating, but I shouldn't have to be that conscious of the buttons.

I drive a lot of rental cars, probably 20-25 per year, and I find most of them have better buttons than my 2012 FF. Don't get me wrong, I like the cruise control and display that lets you see the setpoint and how that changes but the controls themselves are one of the worst features of the car in my view...

Brian

·
Registered
952 Posts
Have to agree here I really like the way the cruise control switches are laid out. I use it pretty frequently and the only thing that screws me up is sometimes turning up the volume on the stereo what I'm trying to increased the speed...lol...my first car with more than 5 buttons in the cabin.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Agreed; cruise on the Focus is excellent!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes it is way nice. Responsive too

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is also one of the things I like concerning my new Focus. The switchs are ok, good feel and they work fine. The mph indicator means nothing to me. Theres a huge dial next to it with the same info.

What has impressed me is how it keeps the set speed when pulling hills of some size without the rpm's climbing or the car down shifting. That is truly great concerning mpg. Now is it the cruse control or the throttle plate opening up more to improve pumping loss's and not adding anymore fuel thus making the efficiency the best possible for a short duration? Or is it something the DCT is doing.

I'm going to put my scangage in tomorrow morning and see if I can get a read on what it's doing to accomplish this feat of trickery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The mph indicator means nothing to me. Theres a huge dial next to it with the same info..
I like it most during initial setting/changing the setting, so I don't have my head down watching the speedo trying not to overshoot my desired speed and instead get my eyes back on the road fast.

It's nice to know the setting when the cruise is on standby too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i really like how it shows the speed and that you can increase speed by 1mph each time i believe you could do this on previous vehicles i owned but i couldnt tell because i was just going off the speedo which was more of an educated guess lol. I also like that you can set the cruise at any speed it seems. with the five speed this is nice because i can cruise down back road in 4th gear and set the cruise to 35 and i have enough power for the back roads even with some hills. Why am i setting the cruise at 35 well in my area there are some cops who love to pull you over for even 6mph over. also its just nice to set and forget sometimes

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've finally got used to the cruise control buttons but I do NOT think this is well designed at all. I found that you had to be very careful when pressing the increase or decrease buttons because it was easy to rock the thing and turn cruise off completely. It's one plastic housing the does three things so if you're not careful when pressing either inc or dec button you can easily also trigger the middle button or cruise on/off.
I'm surprised you think this. I don't think I've ever issued a command I did not intend and actually find this system more intuitive than a few others I've tried recently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree the Focus cruise control is one of the best one handed systems around -- easy to operate, accurate and intuitive -- no need to take your eyes off the road. Excellent ergonomic design!

Unfortunately the 2014 Fusion design doesn't take advantage of the Focus system. It has 6 different press functions right next to each other. While accurate, you have to take your hands off the road to make sure you press the right button or you might press "off" rather than "resume". This is one of the few disappointments I have with the car.

My 2004 Jeep Liberty is one of many solid systems but requires 2 hands to operate -- not a big deal as long as there are no other competing features on the wheel.

The most difficult to operate are the stalk mounted systems. GMC still used them on my 2004 Canyon -- one handed but not intuitive and very awkward. Also not very accurate -- over shoots on hills and freeway overpasses and must be overridden frequently. This rather primitive system is reminscent of 1960s and 70s.

Interesting how many different approaches are still used for an accessory that has been around for so long!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quick question. After slowing down or stopping which would pause the cruise control, is it more efficient to accelerate to the cruise control's speed manually or by turning the cruise control back on?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Try out your car to see which you like, most accelerate quicker with resume than I'd choose for economy.

Just hit the resume when you get close to the target speed is my habit.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm surprised you think this. I don't think I've ever issued a command I did not intend and actually find this system more intuitive than a few others I've tried recently.
I've had my car for 2.5 years and have developed a technique that works 90% of the time, but in the beginning I found that pressing the + or - ends of the single rocker switch would often rock the center on/off switch and turn cruise off. For the first few months this happened about 1/3 of the time. I've heard others with similar problems.

I do wonder if later models have an improved rocker and perhaps this issue is mostly a problem with the 2012.

If I were to design the switch layout I'd have had paddles for shifting where the cancel/resume paddles are now. I'd have 4 buttons as most every other car has for the cruise control.

As I said before I drive about 25 rental cars a year and it's my opinion that the switch layout and operation is among the worst I've ever tried and I've tried many.

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts