Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, like I said in my accident thread I am doing a full svt engine and transmission swap, and ditching the automatic spi. The guys at HTPerformance are hooking me up with absolutely everything I need for the swap. The engine will be rebuilt with JE low comp pistons, Eagle rods, zetec headgasket, arp main studs and head studs and also race bearings. The reason for the zetec headgasket is that it is a different thickness than the svt headgasket, and with that combination of internals, that will bring the compression ratio back to stock svt compression ratio. I am doing this since I plan on running NA for a while before going turbo and I don't want to lose NA power from having a lower compression ratio. I'll still be able to run a turbo setup with 12 or so psi with the zetec headgasket, but if I want to go for higher psi I will only need to change the headgasket out for the svt headgasket. The svt 6 speed transmission I'll be getting will have torsen limited slip differential, Clutchmaster stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel. They are going to start building the engine this weekend, and I'll start removing the spi on saturday. I am extremely excited about this swap. It's something I've always wanted to do, and since my spi took a crap on me this was the perfect opportunity to upgrade. Please don't ask me how much I paid because that is not anyone's business but my own. I'll be doing this swap myself along with any local FF members who would like to help out. Hopefully it will be a pretty straightforward swap. I am confident with my mechanical skills and my knowledge of the focus, and I have a good amount of tools at my disposal, so I should be able to handle the swap just fine. This will be my build thread and I'll keep it updated when I get something done. If you have any comments or suggestions don't hesitate to post them up. [thumb]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds awesome man, I can't wait to see the end result!

It sucks in a way though, not many people care about the SPI and you had the coolest one.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
oooh...excited!!!!

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
screw the radiator fix...thats great man, cant wait to see the end result.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I'm excited about this one, can't wait to see the progress man. Good luck!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ah good.....I was waiting for this thread to pop up [:D]

loud, I love/hate you lol....... and thanks for that bit of info at the top, I now know what my NA setup will be until I turbo it as well (and of course, getting the engine in there)

if you've the time to spare, what all else did you have to buy for it, cause the more I know about this, the more.....you get what I mean. but I'm really excited for ya. [thumb]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said in my first post Mike, I will be keeping this thread updated with pics and info as I do the swap. I'll try to make it somewhat of a walk-through with info and pics. Just be patient, and you'll get the info you're looking for. I don't have a list of everything I am getting yet because HTP is doing most of the research work for me as to what all I need. Today I start removing stuff from the SPI to sell. I have a thread in the BST forum with a few items. My svt engine is supposed to be getting built today as well. I am excited!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Like I said in my first post Mike, I will be keeping this thread updated with pics and info as I do the swap. I'll try to make it somewhat of a walk-through with info and pics. Just be patient, and you'll get the info you're looking for. I don't have a list of everything I am getting yet because HTP is doing most of the research work for me as to what all I need. Today I start removing stuff from the SPI to sell. I have a thread in the BST forum with a few items. My svt engine is supposed to be getting built today as well. I am excited!
oop sorry, lol. [hihi] I kinda misjudged that..... well that's great, cause that's gonna really encourage/help a lot of people who want to do the same. [thumb] ooh that's great though, it's exciting, getting an engine built. can't wait for mine (gonna do it myself though [hihi])

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Tom, you are correct. I will be getting the svt ecu along with all of the wiring needed for the swap.
I'll be getting everything i need even down to the shifter and pedals.
The guys at HTPerformance are going to make sure they include everything I need before sending it out.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ yeah I'm pretty sure anything after the dash doesn't need to be changed... but I guess we'll leave it to HTP to figure that one out [hihi]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I've done it both ways but it is much easier to swap the entire dash assy as a complete piece, much easier.
the dash assy from the SVT has some stuff connected to it that you'd proably have to fabricate or do without, no?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't think so. but I would pull the entire SVT dash (guages,wirring,airbags, steering, hvac) and install in one piece. much easier than piece by piece
I did the sedan swap over 3 weekends, having donor cars around is very handy. this is a major undertaking but not rocket science.
Just noted you have an 01, your airbags will not work with the SVT harness.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^^
Just the drivers airbag, or both? Because I already have a spare 03-04 drivers side airbag in my collection.
I also have a complete black dash I've had sitting around for a while that I'll install while doing the swap.
The gauges shouldn't need swapping out since you can install svt gauges on 00-04 foci.
I have a set of kona gauges I installed a while back in my focus now.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they have the larger ford logo, then yes, they are the same.
In 00-01 they used small ford symbols on the airbags, but I wasn't sure if they switched in 02 or 03.
For some reason they decided to also switch the plug used for the airbag.
That is why the newer airbags don't work on the 00-01 foci.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
They changed the bags in 02, the 00 and 01 on the pass side have only one connector. the 02+ have two wires. You will also need a air box mount bracket. Not a big deal but just letting you know, don't recall exactly but one sets the tranny lower. Not the same as zetec. If possible I would get the interior harness from a 4 door, I used a 2dr harness and we didn't wire the back doors. I have a 4 door SVT in Alabama if you can wait a while, I need to ship it up here and strip it out.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They changed the bags in 02, the 00 and 01 on the pass side have only one connector. the 02+ have two wires. You will also need a air box mount bracket. Not a big deal but just letting you know, don't recall exactly but one sets the tranny lower. Not the same as zetec. If possible I would get the interior harness from a 4 door, I used a 2dr harness and we didn't wire the back doors. I have a 4 door SVT in Alabama if you can wait a while, I need to ship it up here and strip it out.
Alright thanks for the info on the airbag. I need a black one to match my black dash anyway.
Air box mount bracket? You mean the bracket that has the holes for the stock intake box to mount to?
Also, I doubt I'll need the harness from a 4 door since I have manual windows and locks.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts