Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting very noticeably loud whining type noises when I start up my ignition. Also it won't even start any more without revving the hell out of the gas pedal or else it will just keep choking the ignition. Alternator is reading good so its not that. Does anyone out there know what's going on? My car has around 163,000 miles and I'm the original owner.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I've been getting very noticeably loud whining type noises when I start up my ignition. Also it won't even start any more without revving the hell out of the gas pedal or else it will just keep choking the ignition. Alternator is reading good so its not that. Does anyone out there know what's going on? My car has around 163,000 miles and I'm the original owner.
Loud whiney noise= could be the alt. bearings. Once you get the motor running will it idle? & does the whiney noise go down? I'd remove the belt & then run the motor to see if it does away. And when you have the belt off, turn the alt pulley & see if its stiff to turn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loud whiney noise= could be the alt. bearings. Once you get the motor running will it idle? & does the whiney noise go down? I'd remove the belt & then run the motor to see if it does away. And when you have the belt off, turn the alt pulley & see if its stiff to turn.
My mechanic had the belt off several times when we went through the Massive pulley belt size guessing game before I sold the pulley to yellowhatch. Idle is good. Always had this problem with struggling to start when the weather gets colder every now and then, but now it's every time I start up the ignition. I'll have to check the belt again thanks for the advice.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
My mechanic had the belt off several times when we went through the Massive pulley belt size guessing game before I sold the pulley to yellowhatch. Idle is good. Always had this problem with struggling to start when the weather gets colder every now and then, but now it's every time I start up the ignition. I'll have to check the belt again thanks for the advice.
Hows the starter? How many amps is it drawing?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does the whine go away after a few minutes of run time? If it does the whine you are hearing is probably your power steering pump. Have you ever flushed the system? If it's the original fluid I'd change it. You can purge the system but an easier way is to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and top off with new. Do this 3-5 times in as many days with normal driving in between and you'll have essentially changed the fluid. If the pump is bad it could be dragging your engine down and causing it to stall but I'd guess the stall is unrelated to your whiny noise. I recommend Mobil1 ATF for power steering. A bad bearing usually sounds pretty hellacious and I wouldn't think to call it a whine which is why I'm leaning toward typical Ford PS pump noise.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you could be looking at two separate issues - the whining and the problems with cold starting. Some good advice has already been given here re. the whining but I don't think the starting problems are related to this. It looks to me that you have an issue with the air / fuel mixture which is more or less determined by what the PCM thinks is the air temperature.

Take a look at this article and see whether it is of any help -

http://www.aa1car.com/library/air_temp_sensors.htm

Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the whine go away after a few minutes of run time? If it does the whine you are hearing is probably your power steering pump. Have you ever flushed the system? If it's the original fluid I'd change it. You can purge the system but an easier way is to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and top off with new. Do this 3-5 times in as many days with normal driving in between and you'll have essentially changed the fluid. If the pump is bad it could be dragging your engine down and causing it to stall but I'd guess the stall is unrelated to your whiny noise. I recommend Mobil1 ATF for power steering. A bad bearing usually sounds pretty hellacious and I wouldn't think to call it a whine which is why I'm leaning toward typical Ford PS pump noise.
Haven't flushed the fluids yet that's probably what I need to do. Whining nose is only on start up then it goes away. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you could be looking at two separate issues - the whining and the problems with cold starting. Some good advice has already been given here re. the whining but I don't think the starting problems are related to this. It looks to me that you have an issue with the air / fuel mixture which is more or less determined by what the PCM thinks is the air temperature.

Take a look at this article and see whether it is of any help -

http://www.aa1car.com/library/air_temp_sensors.htm

Cheers

I will check out the article for sure thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts