Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over a bump or take a hard turn it sounds like hell has come. I started after the car was three years old and about two years ago I demanded ford to replace the struts and ciols in the front and it went away well its back again. My friend who has the same car says its the front sway bar hitting the control arm. He has the same noise in the same spot. Any ideas? or thoughts?[idea]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out the sway bar bushings one side is most likely blown out. Letting the bar come up and hit the body.
Thanks..sounds like a posiblity, is there a better sway bar setup? or should I just buy the stock bushings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm gonna throw mine up on a lift on wednesday to see whats going on. I will let u know what i find. Hopefully it will just be bushings, but mines been banging for a while need to check out the brackets also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna throw mine up on a lift on wednesday to see whats going on. I will let u know what i find. Hopefully it will just be bushings, but mines been banging for a while need to check out the brackets also.
Yea please do, I don't have the time in the next week or two cause I am working extra days so I can go away to Canada for two weeks. I can survive with the noise till I get home but then I want to give the car some attention[^]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
how long does it do it after the bump? is it a long time?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Struts may be blown or you have play in you ball joint/tie rod.
Two years ago I brought it to ford and forced them to replace the front struts and springs, the noise went away for maybe 3 months then it was back. I was disgusted and had thoughts of going to full coilovers but didnt want to spend the $[:(]

·
Registered
31 Posts
So on mine it was the bar hitting the body but the bushings were fine. looked like when the dude did my motor he didn't line the sway bar up evenly so one side hit the body.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Struts may be blown or you have play in you ball joint/tie rod.
^ Hope it is not this, I had my tie rod break on me before and it caused a bad accident, granted the car was 20 years old but still. Check it out but if it been doing it a while you're probably fine I just hope for you it isnt a tierod

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has the same clunk and has ever since I bought it. While it was under warranty, I had ford change every front suspension part they could and it still did it. None of the ford mechanics could ever really tell me why. Now I just cringe a little and say ouch every time it does it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine has the same clunk and has ever since I bought it. While it was under warranty, I had ford change every front suspension part they could and it still did it. None of the ford mechanics could ever really tell me why. Now I just cringe a little and say ouch every time it does it.
I feel ya pain[bigcry]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had that banging in my front end for the last five years. It is now gone as of yesterday. My sway bar was about an inch off center causing it to slam the body any time the right strut came up quickly. sway bar has been moved and that bang is gone. hope that helps some of you guy's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had that banging in my front end for the last five years. It is now gone as of yesterday. My sway bar was about an inch off center causing it to slam the body any time the right strut came up quickly. sway bar has been moved and that bang is gone. hope that helps some of you guy's.
How do I move it? hit it with a maul?

·
Registered
31 Posts
He used a big ass pry bar and some grease. To do it right you'd have to drop the sub frame loosen the brackets and center it. The second way is def the better way to do it but its a pain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He used a big ass pry bar and some grease. To do it right you'd have to drop the sub frame loosen the brackets and center it. The second way is def the better way to do it but its a pain.
Okay after I get back from my trip I will get it on a lift and try it out. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had this same noise and found it was the HFC and O2's banging around. I've done full poly's and coilovers and that wasn't it! :) The noise I had sounded like a "bottle-ish" noise as I crossed a bump. The header is a tell-tale sign of this though. If there is ANY scrapes dings in the bottom from it being the lowest point of the car then you can bank on your header being bent towards the back of the car critically decreasing the already negligible O2 space (One against the front of the engine and the other underneath the pass side half-shaft). Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
i had the same thing on mine, the bar was off about an inch. put the car up, took off the wheels and unbolted the links, greased the s**t out of the bushings and push/pull/twist the bar till it was centered...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts