Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy got a used 2002/2003 svt and only has less then 50k. runs great but the engine makes a really loud tick noise. my old mitsu mirage used to make that when it was low on oil cause it could not reach the upper lifters or so. what could it be??? the lifters, the injectors, etc? i checked the oil and was fine even added some and the engine spilled some out and the light came on cause of that.... but now does not come on, and it is al good just the noise... it is normal...

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
remusrm said:
i checked the oil and was fine even added some and the engine spilled some out and the light came on cause of that.... but now does not come on, and it is al good just the noise... it is normal...
[ohcrap] [ohcrap] [ohcrap]

that's not good

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
mine ticks too. I think they all do. especially if you get a alum. flywheel

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
it's normal. it's a combination of fuel injector pulse and valvetrain noise being that the focus has a mechanical drivetrain

·
Registered
505 Posts
see my mine doesnt tick all that loud at all, I cant even hear it unless I pop the hood and yank the throttle from inside the motor bay. But, just last week, it was really loud. it ended up being my water pump bearings were shot. I replaced it(took me maybe an hour and half) and it runs so much quiter, and I noticed it runs probably 5 degrees cooler versus the stock water pump. Just some thing to look in to

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^^^How does someone go about to check this????? Sorry for the knoobish question.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Water pumps can be pretty loud and from my experience if thier tone does not change like the valve train sound. Valve train noise changes exactly as the RPM changes whereas the waterpump can be delayed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It was pretty close to the valve train...Thats why I originally thought I threw a rod or some thing close to that fact. When I would rev so would the water pump tick.

Artood2s, get a long screw driver and with the motor running put the head of the screw driver to the bottom of the head at each cyclinder and and put the other end right on you ear(you have to lay your ear on the end for this to work), and it will transfer the sound from the motor to your ear using vibrations. But, listen for the tick at each cyclinder, if you can hear it in one cyclinder louder than all the others then its some thing bad in the cyclynder assembly, now if the sound is consistent through all the cyclinders, put the scew driver at the base of the water pump(right behind the water pump pulley) and listen to it there, if its louder than all the other areas you checked then thats your culprit.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That's actually a very good way of diagnosing sounds, as strange as it may sound. On a transverse mounted engine it is pretty safe to do but just make sure your careful of the cooling fans with a stick up against your head! :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
That's actually a very good way of diagnosing sounds, as strange as it may sound. On a transverse mounted engine it is pretty safe to do but just make sure your careful of the cooling fans with a stick up against your head! :)

LOL yea if you get hit with that I will award you a darwen award lol[:)~]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts