Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Focus zx5 with 37000 miles. I get a loud roaring noise from the back tires and I just replaced with brand new tires and it did not fix it. Sounds like the car would have mud tires on it. Could this be the wheel bearings? I have an '01 Focus and know it should not be this loud. I jacked the car up and tried to move the tire to see if they had any play and they do not. What should I do?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Was the noise there before or after the replacement tires. Did the noise happen right after the tires were replaced? We need more info.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Could definitely be the bearings - mine roared, too (in fact, they're apparently designed to start roaring to give you fair warning).

And 37,000 is not too low mileage for the bearings to go (two of mine went at around 40K).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah they started roaring with the old tires, but I thought it was the tires because they were starting to dry rot. Noise still there after replacing them. Should I bring it to the dealership or a local mechanic? Car is outside of warranty.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Shop around - they'll all try to ream you. Mechanic at Just Tires (where I first took the car because I thought it was the tires) quoted me like $500 - $700, but I got 'em done for $50 by Ford under extended warranty.

I dunno how hard it'd be for a do-it-yourselfer, but I'd imagine pressing the bearings out and in might not be cake without the right equipment...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
drum or discs on your car?

iirc, i think that new drums from some autoparts stores comes with the bearing pre pressed in. but dont quote me on that.
if it is the case, it's not too hard to get the old drums off as an amateur wrench turner.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I had a rear wheel bearing go out a couple years ago, I bought a set of new drums from NAPA auto parts with the bearings already pressed in. It was a good buy since I needed new drums anyway, and they are only $62.49 per drum.

For a 2005 focus (same drums as my 2000)

Napa Item #: UP 6401810

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Narrrowed it down to the right wheel. I am going to replace the right wheel hub as I can buy the hub with bearings already in place. Should I do both bearings or is just doing one sufficient?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I'd say just the one that's howling...

·
Banned
589 Posts
Um why not do both? You'll probly regret doing only one a few thousand miles down the road when the other one starts howling on you. How much are the new hubs with the bearings in them? Are they any cheaper than those drums I posted? Also, dont forget to switch over your ABS tone rings or you will disable the rear ABS system.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just did the one that was giving me issues. The drum with bearing at Advance Auto Parts is $49.99. I can finally drive in peace without all the noise the bearing was making. Pretty easy took me about 30-40 minutes. Forget pressing new bearings in. This may have been a little more expensive, but saved on time. Thanks to all who posted in this thread. You guys are what makes focus fanatics a great community!

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Just a quick question. At least one of mine is doing the same thing...how did you narrow it down to which one it is? I cant tell just by listening.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick question. At least one of mine is doing the same thing...how did you narrow it down to which one it is? I cant tell just by listening.
Jack up the back wheel. Try to shake the wheel and see if there is any play. Mine did not have much play, so I decided to turn the wheel by hand. As I turned I could hear a sound. Naturally this sound turned into a roar at high speeds.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just a heads up... make sure to torque the big nut to specs. If you don't, then it will go out on you fast. Call your auto parts store for the specs as I can not remember what it is.

·
Banned
589 Posts
173 ft. lbs. for the rear axle nut. Also, the axle nut should be replaced about every 3 or 4 uses or "tightenings"... as recommended by Ford.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To everyone with this question about wether or not thier bearings are going out, I blew a bearing last May and took it to a Ford dealer since I was in a small town in the middle of no where Idaho and they pulled up my VIN# and the bearings were actually one of the recalls that had not been performed on my car since it had been in storage for four years while I was in Japan, didn't cost me anything except for dinner, beer and a hotel room for two nights while it was being repaired

1 - 16 of 16 Posts