Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the heck guys. sometimes when i shift into 3rd from 4th it pops. some timesfrom 1 to 2 what is it does this happen to anyone else too?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
16 dollar motor mounts inserts will solve the problem. the engine has a ton of movement on stock bushings when pushed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a set of Prothane front mounts but I heard that if I install them without getting the idle raised it will knock due to their stiffness. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
fliphandywork said:
I have a set of Prothane front mounts but I heard that if I install them without getting the idle raised it will knock due to their stiffness. Is this true?
what? [8] haha no, there are no ill effects to the motor from installing motor mounts. they're not solid mounts, they still give quite a bit, particularly the inserts. If it's really bad your mount may be broken. They are made of very bad material and if broken could allow the motor to twist around and potentially hit the firewall. either jack up the car or pull one tire up on the curb and slide under there and check it out.

Can you tell where the "pop" is coming from? i mean is it inside the car or inside the engine compartment? if it's on the other side of the firewall it's probably the motormount. If its inside check your shifter base. Pull the soft shifter cover forward from the bottom and you should be able to see down in there. check for cracks around where the shifter attaches while you move it around.

It could also be a couple other things but those are the most likely.

g

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
When I first installed my short throw the 4 to 5 throw had a pop. I've since adjusted the torque on the mounts and repositioned the airbag wire. seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
PS. that was only when I was really givin it to her. ya know, high rpm shifts, hard throws, fast clutch work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It happens to me sometimes when I shift hard from 1st to 2nd at high rpm,s...it makes a loud pop...but i guess there's nothing wrong with it...it's just the stock motor mounts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts