Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just was wondering if anybody has had the same problem. its sounds like im in a big truck with 44 in tires driven down the road. a loud hmmmmmmm sound kinda like a blow dryer. i was thinkin maybe the baerings. would anyone maybe know wat im talking about sug... would help thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lift the rear of the car, rotate wheel by hand,that should tell you the story....
(if you hear a humming sound when rotating,its most propably the bearing)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Another simple test is to compare the temperatures of the two rear wheels/hubs as close to the bearing as you can get. If one bearing is going bad, it will typically be much hotter after driving a while, particularly at high speed. This is easy to do if you have access to an infrared "point and shoot" temperature gauge, but you often can also sense with with your hand/fingers, being careful not to burn them!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
check the rear bearings as described above. If you can't hear anything, spin the wheel while keeping your hand on the control arm or spindle. You may 'feel' the bad bearing, but not hear it (due to it being unloaded)

If that doesn't find the problem for you, while they're off the ground, look at your rear tires. Are they all choppy?? If so, you need new tires, and you need to rotate and align your car more often.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
take it to a dealer and check on the recall/ extended warranty on the rear bearing. its a free fix.
mine ended up getting a free warranty for 100,000 miles and unlimited time.
there is a tsb out for this too. think its only 00-01 car though, been awhile and dont remember the specifics. they replaced mine 3 times in 55000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bearings are also fubar (one came out in pieces and is now sitting on the garage floor)

I just spoke to my local dealership and they advised that ther was no such recall on my 01 wagon... they did admit to a recall on 2000 model year (I am in eastern Canada).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried rotating the tires? Often times tires that haven't been rotated will develop "cupping" or "chopping" which will produce a humming noise. I didn't rotate the tires on my '01 and had a similar humming noise until I rotated the tires.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
one of my rear wheels where bent and it was causing this exact problem, i couldn't feel a vibration from it either, so get your tires balanced and see if one of them are bent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts