Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Focus PZEV. The top end seems to have an excessively loud tapping. If It were a push-rod engine I would say it was lifter clatter but when I search with a stethoscope the sound is clearly coming from the fuel injectors. This has bothered me from the time I bought the car in 2005. Ford techs kept telling me it was bad gas. Finally I took advantage of an oil change coupon at a different dealer and the tech listed excessive engine noise. So I am back to thinking that this is not normal. Anyone have any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
If it really bothers you, go to your Ford dealer and ask your service manager. There is a part that is basically a cover that goes over the fuel rail, and that quiets it down. I'm not sure of the TSB number, but there is a recommended fix for it. I'm not sure what the price is, but it won't be noisy after that is installed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, it's Like "Buy a Porsche", they COME with the noise insulating Injector cover stock....

Just one more part to remove to work on them....

(grin)

·
Registered
401 Posts
The Duratec is rather loud in other ways as well. I don't think it's as smooth as the Zetec it replaced. During start ups in cold weather be prepared for a crap load of valve train noise, injector noise and booming exaust noise. I like the extra torque compared to my zetec but it much noisier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok as long as its a normal thing I'm fine with it. I've just never hear a gasoline engine quite that loud. It does sound like a diesel.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If it really bothers you, go to your Ford dealer and ask your service manager. There is a part that is basically a cover that goes over the fuel rail, and that quiets it down. I'm not sure of the TSB number, but there is a recommended fix for it. I'm not sure what the price is, but it won't be noisy after that is installed.
I just bought the FSWerks cover because its looks nice and it matches the CAI and the strut bar but it goes right over the injectors.

I never really had a problem with the sound of the injectors till people started to mention them. The cover seems to help, i added some dynamat stuff to help deaden the sound.

might try it.

If nothing else it looks nice. A few satickers from TFBdesigns and it almost looks factory.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The cover, CAI and cross support bar is all from FSWerks.

They have other colors of these 3 parts as well i believe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts