Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a car person and am seeking possible explanations before I take my 2002 focus lx to the dealer. The problem began a week to two weeks ago when accelerating and decelerating between 40-65 there's a louder than normal hum - like a deep throaty hum. However, the car accelerates and decelerates fine - in other words, no problems aside from the stated one. I've had the oil changed just over 3k miles ago - just checked the yesterday and its level is fine. I follow the guidelines for maintenance schedules.

I did notice the heatsheild is loose - in fact the bottom two bolts no longer hold it in place - the holes have rusted/corroded larger than the bolts.

A friend mentioned it could be the flex plate/bar - I'm not certain where that could be or how to check it.

I would like to know what the possible problems and solutions and how serious - meaning can I wait or is it an ASAP issue.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most likley it's a wheel bearing. You can check on a long slow curve. If it gets worse when turning left or right @ 45mph. (The weight of the vehicle shifts on curves.) It is a wheel bearing.

I just got through replacing my left front yesterday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cost?

How much did the wheel bearing replacement cost? How long did you wait before you had it replaced?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
for sure a wheel bearing,

find out which one it is and fix it asap!

the bearing should only be about 60 bucks for your locak auto parts store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts