Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus (obviously) SE Hatchback - 57,000 - and I'm not much of a mechanic so I'm hoping to see if anybody on here can help me figure this out. At 71-76 mph there's a loud hum coming from the rear (wheels, cab..not sure) Strange part is that at 74 mph it's the loudest. I was able to get it to 74 this morning on a turn and the hum started to pulse. I brought it in to the dealership, they weren't able to find anything wrong and they just rotated the tires...same result. After some online searches my guess is that it's the wheel bearing or an alignment issue. I'm going to try and bring it in to the dealership again and have them re-diagnose as I have ~2,000 left on the warranty. Anybody? Anything?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check your rear bumper (plastic) mountings. Missing/loose fittings there have made noises like you describe on other member's MkIII's.

I'll move this to that section in case someone remembers exact details, it'd take a bit of searching there to find the right threads/posts.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
What kind of tires do you have?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
your tires might need to be balanced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It could also be resonance, very unlikely, but not impossible. Sometimes a tightened nut or item may have just the right force applied on a piece that requires a certain vibrational frequency at which it might resonate. Happened to me on some interior pieces, that at just the right rev would cause them to vibrate. Dampening or tightening anything in the vicinity of the noise might push that frequency slightly higher beyond your driving speed range so it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would claim it is the resonance of very slightly cupped tires.
A hum is a simple vibration.Things that hum crazy like the op describe are mainly TIRES.
It could be a bearing. but I never heard of such a specific hum with a certain speed.. But with tires? yes it is possible.

If someone would allow you (at the dealer) to swap tires with a used 2012 to 2014 Focus for just long enough to see if it is your tires...

So you would ask them to allow it. The deal would be you pay for putting the 'for sale used car' up on the rack and they pull it's wheels to put on your car for a few hours at most.
Then you get to drive on them to see IF the car will make the noise.
IF the car stops making the noise,
You pay them for the tire swap labor and returning the wheels to the original cars.
Naturally you have to put the used car wheels back to the used car, and then at least you know it is your tires.

I swear it has to be the tires.. Nothing else acts so weird as tires can when it comes to howl and odd noise from bad wear.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
At 71-76 mph there's a loud hum coming from the rear (wheels, cab..not sure) Strange part is that at 74 mph it's the loudest. I was able to get it to 74 this morning on a turn and the hum started to pulse. I brought it in to the dealership, they weren't able to find anything wrong and they just rotated the tires...same result. After some online searches my guess is that it's the wheel bearing or an alignment issue. I'm going to try and bring it in to the dealership again and have them re-diagnose as I have ~2,000 left on the warranty. Anybody? Anything?
From my experience, dealerships are useless.

I would claim it is the resonance of very slightly cupped tires.
A hum is a simple vibration.Things that hum crazy like the op describe are mainly TIRES.
It could be a bearing. but I never heard of such a specific hum with a certain speed.. But with tires? yes it is possible.

If someone would allow you (at the dealer) to swap tires with a used 2012 to 2014 Focus for just long enough to see if it is your tires...

So you would ask them to allow it. The deal would be you pay for putting the 'for sale used car' up on the rack and they pull it's wheels to put on your car for a few hours at most.
Then you get to drive on them to see IF the car will make the noise.
IF the car stops making the noise,
You pay them for the tire swap labor and returning the wheels to the original cars.
Naturally you have to put the used car wheels back to the used car, and then at least you know it is your tires.

I swear it has to be the tires.. Nothing else acts so weird as tires can when it comes to howl and odd noise from bad wear.
So... when are we having a local meetup? haha [cheers]

I'm with Elizabeth - I think it's the tires making the noise - but if it's anything like my car, it was the rear bearings going bad that caused the irregular tire wear. If I had my own house with a garage (I'll be moving in a few months) I'd offer to check out your bearings/tires for you!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The OEM Cooper tires that came on my used 2013 SE hatchback with 33,400 miles on it had a hum at highway speeds, which turned out to be caused by feathering on the inside edge of the tires (the result of a bad front end alignment). New tires and a four-wheel alignment silenced the noise.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus (obviously) SE Hatchback - 57,000 - and I'm not much of a mechanic so I'm hoping to see if anybody on here can help me figure this out. At 71-76 mph there's a loud hum coming from the rear (wheels, cab..not sure) Strange part is that at 74 mph it's the loudest. I was able to get it to 74 this morning on a turn and the hum started to pulse. I brought it in to the dealership, they weren't able to find anything wrong and they just rotated the tires...same result. After some online searches my guess is that it's the wheel bearing or an alignment issue. I'm going to try and bring it in to the dealership again and have them re-diagnose as I have ~2,000 left on the warranty. Anybody? Anything?
Welcome to the forum!

I want to check into some additional assistance on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
46 Posts
The hatch has very little insulation in the back, so noisy tires, like Contiprocontacts will really make humming noise at speed. I padded my hatch area with duct insulation and polyester felt, helped a little, changed to Conti pure contacts, helped a lot, but the hum was still there. I feel the problem is the rubber compounds on conti tires, they are hard, meant for autobahn asphalt, they just do not like concrete. Continental tires are loud.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bad Bearing would be my guess. Thought it was on conti (changed few months ago) That is what Tire Kingdom said lol. They try to sell me tires. Ford got involved and the stealership found a bad bearing (AFTER I TOLD THEM) I was going insane until it the bad bearing was replaced. Quiet!!!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Was the wheel/hub physically loose enough to move? Every bearing I've had to replace for noise, the dealership refused to admit it was a bad bearing because the wheel wasn't wiggling. I ended up giving up and doing the work myself after 2-3 visits to different dealers. There should be some sort of warranty reimbursement program.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Was the wheel/hub physically loose enough to move? Every bearing I've had to replace for noise, the dealership refused to admit it was a bad bearing because the wheel wasn't wiggling. I ended up giving up and doing the work myself after 2-3 visits to different dealers. There should be some sort of warranty reimbursement program.
WTF? wheel bearing are roller bearings. The do not 'move' much (maybe 0.5 mm? or less!) when shot, unless they are really blown to Hell. (IE you drove on them for another 40,000 miles AFTER they started making that howling sound. Which I did on my SVT: I drove on them for over a year.. no problem.)
The parts that move when worn are like the bushings in the front wheel steering stuff.
So whomever told you that the wheels have to 'wiggle' for it to be worn bearing are total frickin' morons.. Seriously, MORONS.

All I ever needed to get a new bearing was the noise. The bearing makes noise? OK new bearing.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
They say, "It's the tires." and then make no effort to swap tires with another car on the lot or anything. I guess I could try again and specifically ask them to swap the tires. If I'm going to pay them for an hour of work, they'll might as well take an hour to do it - not a 2 minute lap around the parking lot.

I don't get why they avoid warranty work like the plague.

·
Registered
650 Posts
ELi, Prat:

I got the same responses. One said tires the other said alignment. The end story is Bearing. No wheel movement that I saw when it was on the lift at Tire Kingdom. Eventually Ford replaced the bad bearing.

Warranty is not as profitable I guess as it used to be. Ford really cranks down the repair hours to the minimum. The weather stripping around the door had to be replaced as it started to deteriorate. It took a day to get approval from Ford. Oh yeah, add that to the list of my FUN times at the Stealership LOL

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I got the same responses. One said tires the other said alignment. The end story is Bearing.
This is the video I took of my "normal operation" - I actually showed it to the service department and they still denied me the repair under warranty:
Note that this was my rear wheel... those aren't drive train noises and I removed the brake hardware.

C'est la vie...

·
Registered
650 Posts
You have a pebble rattling in there stop being a whiner lol lol

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You have a pebble rattling in there stop being a whiner lol lol
Actually, I think that's what the service guy said! It did it with the rotor off too, but I guess I should have taken that off too if I really wanted to eliminate all of the possibilities. Okay, no more whining - I fixed the rear bearings already.

I'm thinking about doing the fronts this weekend... if I can find a reputable shop to press the bearing in for a reasonable price. Is it worth one more try at my dealer? I already bought the bearings and hardware - it just seems kind of pointless now except for the time spent doing the job.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts