Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends got pulled over in his vw 1.8t gti and got a 15 day for loud exhaust. His car is not loud at all. we then did some research and found this load of crap it must not just apply to bikes. Either way I dont like it cause I have a motorcycle too. So way this says is that every Harely, every sport bike, every car enthusiast is breaking the law. so by my logic 50 to 60% of wisconsin residents are breaking the including everone on this site the link to the dot site is at the bottom

nic

August 2005

Motorcycle muffler modifications are illegal

No one wants a poorly operating motorcycle. According to motorcycle mechanics, muffler pipes are tuned to work specifically with a motorcycle’s original exhaust system, and tampering with or replacing the original muffler to increase the motorcycle’s noise level can reduce its overall efficiency.

Furthermore, because it’s against the law, increasing the noise level on any vehicle, including motorcycles, by tampering with the original exhaust system may cost you between $156 and $181 if you get a ticket.

Wisconsin law states that “no person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.”

“Increasing the noise level emitted by a motorcycle by altering the muffler disturbs other motorists as well as residents on streets and highways. Altering the muffler also may void the manufacturer’s warranty,” said State Patrol Superintendent David Collins. “There are very good reasons not to change the original muffler. But perhaps the best reason is that it’s illegal and can result in an expensive citation.”

worst law ever

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Basically it says....

"If the Cop wants to be a dick and ticket you... he can"

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
F that...seriously though, I'm glad I haven't had any problems yet...my exhaust, being without cat, is pretty damn loud...I do wish that they would enforce the motorcycle thing though...I'm sick and tired of hearing loud ass Harley's at 2 am around Manitowoc all the time...

Mike

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the thing is I dont see harelys pulled over ever i ride a sport bike i see sport bikes pulled over alot. I hate hearing harleys with straight pipes those guys are the one that ruin it.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Tim, the thing is, in Manitowoc at least, they do enforce the car/truck part of it...I know a bunch of people that have had to change their exhaust and stuff out to quieter ones, but I hear way more Harleys with loud ass exhausts and it rarely gets enforced, as far as I know.

svt2004...I am by no means implying that you are a bad rider, but I don't think that the sport bike riders have anyone to blame but themselves and for the most part, they deffinitely cannot blame Harley riders...I see more sport bikes pulled over for speeding, reckless driving, and other major/more dangerous offences than anything...plus, most sport bikes I know of have quieter exhausts than Harley's do, they just rev a hell of a lot higher.

Mike

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
just anothe example of BIG government try to give it to us in teh pooper.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^^well said! up here it aint bad, then again i dont have loud exhuast......yet

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't see how the speeding and reckless driving thing has anything to do with it I know more than one person that got a noise ticket on a sport bike all i was saying is harleys or bikes with straight exhaust are annoying and it is not enforced. This law is very vague, louder than stock....? I don't see why there can't be a decibel level like most other states

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Ok, I was just meaning that I see/know of more sport bikes being pulled over for stupid [:)][:)][:)][:)] like wreckless driving and speeding and not for loud exhausts...on the other hand, I rarely see any Harley's pulled over, loud exhaust or not...I do agree that there should be a dB level vs. louder than stock.

Mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
and who the hell has a tuned ear for that type of thing, "louder than stock". anyway, every car is different even at the stock level. they are similar but not the same. you can take a few of the same car, put them together or separate, and turn them on and they will all sound different.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I just need to worry about my GLOW... Not that I drive with it on.... (a lot)... but I'd like to.. hehe.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
an good quality intake can make ur car louder thatn stock...

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
^^^True true...stupid law makers...not for all the laws, just some of them...

Mike

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i wonder what the ruling on the different foci models casue they all sound different. Also what about like a car like the srt4 which doesn't have mufflers is louder than a typical neon stock(<sorry to bring up the neon) or a cars which come in a gas and diesel motors. the diesel one is way louder than the gas in their stock forms.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
in laymans' terms..

F' THE POLICE!!!
and
F' THE FAT SLOBS WE VOTE INTO GOVT!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Loud exhaust and dark tint tickets are probably the most blatant example of revenue generation in the whole traffic law system. They are issued arbitrarily, based on what the officer thinks is "too loud/too dark." And at least here in Ohio, to prove your innocence you have to drive to one of 5 or 6 highway patrol testing stations (5 or 6 in the entire state) and pay almost as much as the ticket to have your muffler volume or tint % verified. And if you get bagged again a few weeks later on the same charge, the judge will throw your prior certification out on the grounds that there has been ample time for you to have made modifications to your windows/muffler (I had a friend with a yellow Evo with tinted windows who got three tint tickets before he gave up and had the tint taken off.)

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Damn. THREE tint tickets....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts