Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2012 titanium hatch and I don't know if it's just me, or being a slightly bigger engine than the 08 SES that I traded but the engine seems a lot louder while driving. Any other titanium owners feel the same? It drives ok and I had it checked out before I bought it but maybe I'm being too critical

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well these engines are direct injected where as the 08 i'm pretty sure was not. This causes the engine to make a ticking sound that is pretty noticable. if it's anything else, like a knocking sound or something like that then you might want to get it checked out. Make sure your oil level is full.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I just got a 2012 titanium hatch and I don't know if it's just me, or being a slightly bigger engine than the 08 SES that I traded but the engine seems a lot louder while driving. Any other titanium owners feel the same? It drives ok and I had it checked out before I bought it but maybe I'm being too critical
You need to be more specific as to what type of noise you are talking about. You said it is not a ticking noise. Is it like a loud roar? Does it happen only during hard acceleration?

Since you bought this car used, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is that the NVH snorkel may have been deleted by the previous owner. This would result in more intake noise during acceleration.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would agree, overall engine noise does SEEM louder. In my experience the car overall is much quieter; I just got out of a 200 mile trip in a 2006 SE and into my 2012 Titanium. There is less road noise, and wind noise, due to cabin insulation improvements. Unfortunately without the wind and road we now hear the engine, which isn't much quieter.

It bugs me as well. I tried installing the engine cover, and I think that may have made it worse. Also, I have a manual, so my RPM is higher than the automatic - causing more noise as well.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Are you certain the stock resonator and muffler are in place?
If it seems loud i would think some previous owner removed something in the exhaust system. Or replaced the stock muffler with an aftermarket one.

And (less likely) is the air cleaner cover in place? (You should check the sides of the box to see if they are closed. I have found it can be pretty tough to seal the airbox at times due to the way the filter forms part of the back of the box.

I owned a 2012 SE before my ST and it seems quiet to me.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Just a louder roar I guess. But it's not just during acceleration. It's louder in general and way more noticeable than my 08. Where does that snorkel go? I can check.

The newer ones are just a louder motor I believe. I have an 09 but I've ridden and drove the mk3 many times and it's just a louder engine. They changed some things that generally increases noise. Loud can be a little scary when your used to the ultra quite second generation, but more then likely you have a stock car that is operating normally.

I have a header, full exhaust, intake and much more and my car is still quieter then a stock MK3

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I owned a 2012 SE before my ST and it seems quiet to me.
The only thing I don't get it from the ST is the sound symposer... why spend so much money R&D on this thing when you want a sport oriented car.... [dunno]

Just suppress the intake resonator and call it a day!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Well these engines are direct injected where as the 08 i'm pretty sure was not. This causes the engine to make a ticking sound that is pretty noticable. if it's anything else, like a knocking sound or something like that then you might want to get it checked out. Make sure your oil level is full.
Valve overlap in the GDI Ti-VCT can be noticeable (they need to keep the intake valve hot to prevent carbon fouling), this cause some part of the roar sound (see reversion)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The intake resonator, while resonates, also serves another job in a figure of volume and size for the intake to increase the amount and smooth the air coming into the motor. Engineers spend lots of time figuring out our intakes for size and shape to maximize everything they can.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The intake resonator, while resonates, also serves another job in a figure of volume and size for the intake to increase the amount and smooth the air coming into the motor. Engineers spend lots of time figuring out our intakes for size and shape to maximize everything they can.
The sound symposer is a part time resonator delete...
When you floor it on the ST, you hear engine growl inside the cabin but when your are coasting its quiet...
Increased R&D, cost ,complexity and reduced reliability for what ?

The intake resonator, while resonates, also serves another job in a figure of volume and size for the intake to increase the amount and smooth the air coming into the motor.
Yes, but you also have pumping loss with a resonator...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
AFAIK the sound symposer is separated from the intake manifold by a diaphragm close to it's connection to the intake - so it's not an additional resonant chamber for the intake. (it's DEFINITELY not open to the interior..)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to have to get my car into ford. The noise is getting louder. Especially at 45-50 mph it really gets loud. And when I'm turning it sounds like a knocking. And I noticed tonight I can hear the knocking sound driving straight when I but that 45-50 mph mark. It's not that it's just louder than my old car, it's deafening it's so loud

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I'm going to have to get my car into ford. The noise is getting louder. Especially at 45-50 mph it really gets loud. And when I'm turning it sounds like a knocking. And I noticed tonight I can hear the knocking sound driving straight when I but that 45-50 mph mark. It's not that it's just louder than my old car, it's deafening it's so loud
Get it checked ASAP and report back what was the problem ! [:)]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They think it's the axle. I bought it from carmax, only have made 1 payment, and even though I bought max care warranty they say it may not be covered because it's suspension related. I'm at a loss.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts