Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol ok so I was messin around last night on my way home and I was shifitng really fast and when I went from I thing 3rd to fourth I heard this loud thump sounded like the engine any ideas?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Could just be the engine rocking around really hard with the soft motor mounts.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it all motor mounts? How hard is it to change them?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Just the rear one will drastically improve it. A lot. And its very easy to do. You can either get the VF Engineering mount, or if you are a DIY kind of person, get the polyurathane inserts from Energy Suspension, and modify the OEM mount.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had something similar happen once. I shifted hard from 1st to 2nd and it sounded like something hit the firewall, but I haven't had any concerns, and I haven't been able to recreate the sound. Must've just been some good asphalt. [:D]

·
Registered
409 Posts
$19 bushings and about 3 hours work. It's pretty easy, and a great mod. I did it two months ago and no more banging. There is a little more engine noise and some vibration during decelleration, but it's worth it!

The mount is below the transaxle, going towards the rear of the vehicle. Easy to see, it looks like a twisted dog bone.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Wrong. The Duratec is so smooth, that the stiffer mount makes it almost as bad as a stock Zetec.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No AC and the only time I notice it is on deceleration with the clutch in. As the engine rreaches idle, it shitters for a second or two before it hits idle. No big deal at all. Far better than slapping the transaxle off the dogbone every shift!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the rear mount (energy suspension) in and it was cheep. 20 bucks give or take and only took an hour and a half to do and I had never done anything like that before so its easy enough. I had a press to use to get the stock bushings out of the mount. It does shift a little better and all that but the shaking at idle was worse than I was expecting even with AC off. I think it has died down (bushing wears in a little?) since I first changed it. it was really bad it shoock the pedals on my feet!

Jake

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got the rear mount on my dura 2.0 with CAI and it is nice...a slight vibration at idle but other than that, you DEF notice a difference on take off and how it holds the motor down better!!!! I dont have AC so I cant tell you about that....def worth the money, and it really only takes 10 mins once you have the car in the air/jacked up. Did mine in ~25 mins because i had to jack it up in my driveway -- gravel sucks.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Egz said:
Wrong. The Duratec is so smooth, that the stiffer mount makes it almost as bad as a stock Zetec.
ummmm...... yeah wtih the a/c on at idle, i would think my fillings are going to be rattled out wtih my motor mounts

·
Registered
696 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
ummmm...... yeah wtih the a/c on at idle, i would think my fillings are going to be rattled out wtih my motor mounts

[:D]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, every time I get a little too aggressive and give it a little too much gas and a little too early on the clutch it sounds like my engine just came through my dash. One time it was unbeliveably loud, thought I was screwed, but yeah, I'll have to look at that motor mount thing.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
Whatever. Mine never felt like that. It was on par with my old Zetec.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts