Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so its been rainin in charlotte pretty good the past couple of days, and i went to back up, had it in reverse, and my foot slipped off the clutch[?|] Then I head a loud bang but the car doesn't stall out and it backs up just fine. I pull out and get on it a little bit just to see if it will do it again, shift first to second, hear a bang again. So what happened to it? Anybody wanna chime in. It still drives fine, i'm just afraid to get on it. It sat for about 2 hours after that and on the drive home I didn't hear anything, but I didn't really get on it too much.

·
Registered
975 Posts
hmm timing off maybe? but is the bang coming out of ur exhaust note or its actually coming from the tranny alittle bit more specific on that and that will tell u whether u messed up the tranny or the timing on the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking it could be the rear mount. Guess its time to get the VF i've been drooling over for a while. I'll let yall know about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
another vote for a trashed rear mount... I've heard that sound a couple of times.

Once with my stock mounts, and again with a very rare defective VF... I'm very happy with the free replacement one they sent me...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Could be your passenger side engine mount too. The nut on the stud that holds the mount to the frame bracket can work itself loose.

If you want to save some $, pick up a set of the Energy Suspension bushings for the factory rear mount. They fit and work better than the Prothane bushings (which can work out) and can take more load than the VF (larger bushings have more bearing area).

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
My bet is with what the others have already said...one or more of your mounts are trashed...I'd replace the rear mount with the VF one...don't go cheap like me and get the new poly mounts that just replace the ones in the factory piece...there is an improvement with that one but it's not much and from what I hear about the VF one, its a much bigger improvement.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i don't think it's the rear mount, and i say that because i drove my car for almost 4 months WITHOUT a rear mount attached it was still there, but it wasn't bolted to the tranny anymore (long story don't ask)

if it was anything to do with the passenger side mount you'd feel almost uncontrollable roll in the car when you turn sharp.

i'm not saying it ISN'T the rear mount. i'm just saying don't put all your eggs in one basket.

put the car up take a look at the rear mount, it may have crapped out on you, it may not have. if your rear mount is loose. you'll hear a knock down by the floor in the center of the car below the dash, when you shift. (all the time)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, now either i'm starting to lose it or something, because I haven't heard it at all today. No bang, no nothing, just the normal sounds. I swear the bang was there yesterday, and my buddy can agree with that. Back to square one I suppose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh don't say CV's, anything but that.....still ain't makin the noise, and i swear it shifted better tonight[???:)] is my car playing tricks on me, because i'm seriously starting to think that....i'm about to throw on a rear mount and maybe a TB....maybe that'll make it happy for a while

1 - 13 of 13 Posts